Danilon or Bute

eggs

Visit site
A significant number of vet practices have been bought out by large companies although you often have to dig deep on their website to find out who actually owns them.

My small vets were bought out a few years ago and things have definitely changed with regards to business practices, etc and a lot of the original vets are not happy about it or have left. I declined the tiny bottle of Metacam at £42 they wanted to send one of my dogs home with as I have a large bottle already which cost me £18!

My horse vet is still independent but when I asked about price matching on Z's Prascend they said they couldn't do it as it costs them more to the buy the drug but they are happy to write me a 6 month prescription which costs me £30.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Well to be honest, it annoyed le they said they would nee to see him for anything over 20 sachets… if I had an issue with a hoof Id always go to the farrier first… he/she is the hoof expert…

Thats like saying oh my back hurts .. lets go to the hairdresser 😂😂

If he isn't sound enough not to need bute after 20 sachets, from treading on a stone, then the vet would probably want to be sure that he hasn't cracked his pedal bone, and that needs x rays.

I'm sorry if this isn't helpful BB, but I'm posting for other people who might read the thread now or in future.

I hope you are back out together soon.

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
If he isn't sound enough not to need bute after 20 sachets, from treading on a stone, then the vet would probably want to be sure that he hasn't cracked his pedal bone, and that needs x rays.

I'm sorry if this isn't helpful BB, but I'm posting for other people who might read the thread now or in future.

I hope you are back out together soon.
Your right its not helpful 😂

Its not just a stone, it has punctured the sole , its no where near the pedal bone or anything else. But not just quite as simple as tredding on a stone , ta

If he wasnt so flat footed he wouldnt even be lame probably

Barton Bounty

Visit site
Well if it were my vets they’d be pushing for x-rays by now 😂
Honestly, a horse thats never sick or sorry bless him…

Over a few sachets of danilon lol… if my farrier was not happy with how he is dealing with it I am pretty sure he would recommend a vet step in 😂 he is not lame this morning which is good news

Last edited:

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
The reason why bute is a prescription drug, and why vets don't (or shouldn't) hand it out like smarties, and why they like to check up on horses on long-term use, is that it can cause significant damage to other organs. It's not the aspirin of the horse world. Danilon is considerably less damaging to kidneys and gut.

Lexi 123

Visit site
Why are you giving Bute for a basic abscess . My vet certainly wouldn’t give you Bute for an abscess they just tell you to treat it .You really shouldn’t need more than 20 if you do then I think you have a bigger problem than just an abscess.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
Sounds like a pretty simple abscess resulting from a sharp stone. I'm sure farrier is more qualified to comment on the matter than most on here. When did this happen BB? X

It's not about being qualified to comment on an abscess 🤷‍♀️

Most poster's are just trying to explain that a vet can't simply supply large quantities of prescription medication when asked, without first seeing the horse (however good the farrier may or not be - legally the vet has a duty of care to the horse) no matter how much the client might have spent the week before with them or thinks they should.

Gallop_Away

Visit site
It's not about being qualified to comment on an abscess 🤷‍♀️

Most poster's are just trying to explain that a vet can't simply supply large quantities of prescription medication when asked, without first seeing the horse (however good the farrier may or not be - legally the vet has a duty of care to the horse) no matter how much the client might have spent the week before with them or thinks they should.

Which is fair enough but some posters are implying the OP should get the vet out. I think given that the horse is under supervision from the farrier, this isn't particularly helpful to the OP who I don't doubt would get the vet immediately if she or her farrier felt it was necessary.

Gallop_Away

Visit site
Why are you giving Bute for a basic abscess . My vet certainly wouldn’t give you Bute for an abscess they just tell you to treat it .You really shouldn’t need more than 20 if you do then I think you have a bigger problem than just an abscess.

Equally why on earth would you allow your horse to remain in pain and deny it pain relief from what can be a severely painful condition.

The thinking that bute will delay the abscess bursting is very old fashioned and many now argue that a horse not moving around will delay an abscess from progressing, and therefore pain relief is necessary to encourage the horse to walk/move more, which in turn HELPS the abscess to drain.

I would never deny my animals pain relief when it is needed or knowingly leave them in pain. I have given bute for an abscess without issue, and would do so again

Barton Bounty

Visit site
Sounds like a pretty simple abscess resulting from a sharp stone. I'm sure farrier is more qualified to comment on the matter than most on here. When did this happen BB? X
He hurt his foot on thursday when he took off cantering with me, (not in a bad way) , he just kinda stumbled. There was slight heat in pastern in friday not in the hoof and no lameness so I gave him the day off and same Saturday. Went to get him on sunday and he was a bit hobbly but nothing major, took piccies of the hoof where I thought it was and sent them to my farrier. He said it looks like a bruise so I will pop out tomorrow and have a look… queue him on monday morning being fine and not lame hot or hobbly so I had a good poke about and stuff and nothing to be found.
Tuesday morning,queue the lameness back and so i called the farrier and he came in the afternoon and said yeah its a stone bruise , it had actually made a hairline crack so he dug about it and tried to release some stuff and I started poulticing that afternoon and here we are 😂

suestowford

Visit site
£55 for 20 sachets is about what our vet also charges for Bute. It's the same if you buy a whole box from them, really expensive. They have been bought out by a conglomerate recently, and I'd guess they have to use the supplier they are told to use. Someone is raking in the money here, but I don't think it's the vets themselves.
I've been buying Bute & Prascend from 365vet. Because they are for chronic issues I am able to get a prescription for 6 months' worth at once. Bute is less than £70 per box of 100, and Prascend about £170 for 160 tablets. Even with 3 prescription charges that's less than half what I'd pay if I bought through the vet.
It's OK doing that for ongoing meds, but in an emergency it's vet prices or nothing.

Birker2020

Visit site
What the actual chuff!!!!!

£55 for 20 sachets!!!

I have just paid the vet £600 yesterday…

If anyone has any … pm me,,, happy to pay while waiting for my prescription 😫
With my vets they price match the cheapest drug site you can find if you buy a prescription. So for 100 sachets it would be £79 (e-vet) plus £18 for the prescription which makes a total of £97.

So 20 would cost you £19.40 by my reckoning.

Your vets are ripping you off big style BB.

Lexi 123

Visit site
Equally why on earth would you allow your horse to remain in pain and deny it pain relief from what can be a severely painful condition.

The thinking that bute will delay the abscess bursting is very old fashioned and many now argue that a horse not moving around will delay an abscess from progressing, and therefore pain relief is necessary to encourage the horse to walk/move more, which in turn HELPS the abscess to drain.

I would never deny my animals pain relief when it is needed or knowingly leave them in pain. I have given bute for an abscess without issue, and would do so again
It must be a uk thing because there is no way a vet would give you Bute for an abscess where I live. Especially over 20 which is crazy. Bute isn’t like a human pain killer it affects the liver kidney and gut. So people giving it to horse without a vet approval .The equine world is getting like this which is terrible because Bute is like morphine it’s very strong and shouldn’t be given out like smarties . If you release the pressure of the abscess it will cure the pain nobody I now give Bute for an abscess it doesn’t take long for a abscess to heal.

Last edited:

Barton Bounty

Visit site
Why not? He is hobbling like an old man and that is wrapped up with a scoot boot on too?

No one said I wanted more than 20 either? I said I would be cheaper buying a box, than paying £55 for 20 sachets!!! I would have shared them out with my friends had I bought a box.

I would trust my farriers opinion over anyone elses anyway. Why not make it a bit easier using a painkiller that has anti inflammatory properties too?

Barton Bounty

Visit site

Absolutely! With you on this, bute helps with the inflammation and pain killing…. And allows us to still turnout while treating and encouraging movement.

This is the dry poultice this morning so seems to be broken through now 😁

Attachments

• IMG_7927.jpeg
    IMG_7927.jpeg
    366.9 KB · Views: 26

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Thanks so much ycbm for quoting me yet again… 😂 becoming an unhealthy obsession me thinks

Well i didnt get a box so no need to report me for some sordid drug deal 😂

I'm very sorry if it annoys you that I respond to stuff you write, BB, but you aren't the only person reading this thread. Others are reading it now and more will find it in future when they search about bute or abscesses.

It isn't legal to pass around a prescription only medicine.

And while we are here, I don't understand why you think that puncture is nowhere near the pedal bone. It's very close to the lowest point where the pedal bone sits in the foot. If he remains lame for much longer you would be well advised to get x rays.

I hope you're both back out on your travels very soon.