Dare I Say It?

Goldenstar

Visit site
I think there are two types of posts that are generally easy to tell apart:

either posts that ask for CC, when it is perfectly acceptable to mention areas for improvement, but any normal human being would present these in a kind and helpful manner, rather than be blunt and hurtful just because it is supposed to be criticism

or posts that ask for admiration

If a post says things like "Look at how gorgeous my boy is!" or "He has improved so much he is fantastic to ride" you know it's of the second kind. Nothing wrong with this kind of post and there are plenty of people around who are happy to take the time to concur.

I may have got it wrong in the past but this is how I approach it now .

PoppyAnderson

Visit site
OP, I think you've only just recently joined, so you may have limited experience of this forum but be assured that people do speak their minds! There have been threads that have run on and on for pages due to differences of opinion.

Jesstickle

Visit site
I don't usually think anything useful so I tend to just say 'pretty horse' or whatever. It's not that I am not saying what I think, it's that I am useless and have no useful input to add. Most people on this board are much more knowledgeable than me!

But I do post video etc for cc and I have always found people really helpful and no one has ever been rude to me. Which is nice. People have told me my faults but they've always managed to be polite and I appreciate the input. I do have help in RL as well but I like to have lots of opinions. I don't know why. I just do. To be fair I am my own harshest critic so there is very little anyone could say that would be harsher than what I've said to myself.

I find that if something really needs to be said someone will say it. Lots of times I have seen a horse's soundness questioned for eg. I like it here in short. I learn something new pretty much everyday and I'm pretty sure if I was going horribly wrong and asked for help someone would tell me (with varying degrees of tact) that I am a muppet ;)

TheoryX1

Visit site
No, I never offer CC on how a horse is looking or how a rider is riding. Photos are only a snapshot of what happened in a tiny fraction of time, and things can appear what they really arent if you understand me. Also, I dont actually believe I am in a position to comment, as I dont consider I have enough knowledge to do that. I am a competent rider and caring horse owner who knows enough to keep her two darlings fit and well. I dont consider I am qualified to comment on riders far more experienced, competent and talented upon me.

I do find some of the comments made on here somewhat unncessary and a bit uncalled for though, especially if someone has asked for CC especially. I am with LEC though as I rarely post photos, apart from look at my cob, what a handsome boy, or look at Mini TX;s horse, aint she pretty.

Carefreegirl

Visit site
I don't post pics and ask for CC - I pay two very good instructors to give me that ;)

However I think if I were ever too, I know the members on here whose opinions / experience I respect so they are the replies I'd take heed of.

Those that matter don't mind and those that mind don't matter....

Or as one of my instructors says "shut up, build a bridge, get over it" :D

Ferdinase514

Visit site
There are a few arm chair experts in here that feel the need to give their "expert" opinion a lot. Then there are some professional opinions that are worthwhile.

Generally I sit on my hands but occasionally I will speak up if I think something is particularly idiotic.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
The thing about criticism is to make it constructive there has to be a way forward from what you see as the problem.
Also there's a way of delivering feedback that makes it much more palatable. We call it the poo sandwich....you sandwich the bad within 2 positives.
Eg,
' I really like your horse's active back leg there looks like there's a lot of power housed in there. He does look quite tight/tense in this picture though, does he feel like this? I rode one that would become tight, I found riding long & low really helped. A great exercise with a horse as active behind as this would be keeping them long & low but spiralling in & out in leg yield on a circle. This will keep the engine motoring & encourage them to work over their back. I should imagine you shouldn't have a problem with this exercise, you've got a lovely seat & a lower leg position to due for'

Now receiving the above is much nicer & constructive than a lot of the replies I've seen on here. Whether its people just don't want to type out long responses I don't know but you tend to get.
'To me he looks tight & tense'
A few of those in a succession & yes, it can feel like an assisination. That is why I don't post pictures/reports my confidence is just far too brittle to take this. Constructive crit, yes. Ripping apart, no.
There is also a pack mentality (much more prevalent in NL) one person posts a negative & this gives carte Blanche for the world & his keyboard warrier to wade in. This is where a thread disintegrates into rudeness & cheap shots.

I remember one god awful thread on here. PrincessSparkle posted some pictures of CS playing up. Initially there were lots of useful advice coming in but then it just got worse & worse until there were ridiculous/nasty/spiteful comments being thrown in under the thin veil of 'constructive criticism'
My 2 favourites being someone commenting on how thin PS was & another saying she should stop spending all her money on matchy matchy & get proper investigations done......nice :(

Spot on with this!