Debate for the rights and wrongs of racing

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I wasn’t going to join this debate as I am not clued up really on racing, as In I’m not a huge racing fan. I watch a bit here and there but don’t claim to know a lot about it really, as in the actual racing.
However, I have worked within racing for 15 years PT until December last year on two different mixed yards.
There were bits I didn’t like (ultimately why I left) but I would say on both yards the horses were generally pretty chilled and seemed happy. They also got turnout at both yards, sometimes a few hours in a little paddock but sometimes daily with friends. Also most, admittedly not all but most still had a bit of morning forage left by evening stables.
We took them carrots and polos round and hand grazed often.
It might not be as awful as some of you expect.
I’m now on a pretraining and breaking yard, again just PT and nothing technical (I’m too old to bounce these days ?)
I’m enjoying the youngsters. I’m also finding it really interesting how babies can be so different when raised and bred the same.
Two fillies arrived this weekend from the same breeder. One very friendly Labrador one super scatty nervous little bird. (Winning them round is my favourite thing)

There’s good and bad in everything.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Ignoring the main purpose of the article as it doesn't really link to this discussion, but there's a line in this that really doesn't sit right - it said the filly was normally sedated before work? Er what?

https://www.racingpost.com/news/lat...8P1POx0FVWpH_HMef0JBrwSkWHkHLxg2O2gGLi7N2zQ1I

"According to reports, the argument to be advanced on Wood's behalf is that Malaguena was "highly strung", "difficult to handle" and was normally sedated before work but not on the day in question."

That doesn't sit right with me I know some of them are nuts and if it's just a syringe of magic fine, but sedation implies at the very least dromorsoden or sedalin. Going up the gallops?

Surely if it has to be sedated on a day to day basis just so it can be exercised? Or is this common practice?!

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
He contradicts himself as well, as he also says the below. So why sedate her then?

"I'm not saying the filly was straightforward or a dead quiet, bus of a ride," Muir said, "but she wasn't a horrible ride either. It's just one of those things."