Decision Made!

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
it wasnt a response to anyone in particular, just the general tone that somehow this poor woman has bought this upon herself.
i quite agree that reducing the feed will make the horse less volatile, but in reality excess food is not an excuse for shitty behaviour, not on my yard anyway.i dont care how excited the horse is, it damn well keeps out of my space and listens to what i say.end of.
also-HM didnt ask for advise/tips, she was just letting people know what was going on.

Rudey

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Hairymolly, where are you in the country?

If you are selling a bargy mare cheap then I might be interested.
smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking the same thing! My eventer friend wants a WB type, and she loves quirky horses - she doesn't like horses that are quiet and well behaved lol! So please by all means PM me if you want my friends number, she will snap her up! Whether it be to square her up or buy her, my friend will no doubt be interested! Loves a challenge! She's got a quiet gelding she's on about selling.... potential swap there lol! xx
grin.gif

diggerbez

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
it wasnt a response to anyone in particular, just the general tone that somehow this poor woman has bought this upon herself.
i quite agree that reducing the feed will make the horse less volatile, but in reality excess food is not an excuse for shitty behaviour, not on my yard anyway.i dont care how excited the horse is, it damn well keeps out of my space and listens to what i say.end of.
also-HM didnt ask for advise/tips, she was just letting people know what was going on.

[/ QUOTE ]

i was thinking the exact same thing PS! some people on here are clearly perfect individuals whose whose horses never misbehave and who get everything right all of the time. i;ve stopped coming in NL because i can't be doing with replies like the poor OP has had...if you don't gel with a horse then sell, end of- i've done it before and i would do it again. i also threaten mine with being made into dog food when they wind me up- i don't actually mean it- i'm just venting (oh but sorry, i forgot, some people on here are perfect and don't need to 'vent'
wink.gif
) Some of the advice is clearly ridiculous as well- 'you shouldn't be trying to muck out round your horse'- why the hell not?!! i do this on a daily basis and my horses stay out of my way (they move around me quite happily, don't threaten me etc...) OP- if you need to vent feel free to PM me - i don't think you have deserved some of these replies, you've had a hard decision to make
crazy.gif

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
i was thinking the exact same thing PS! some people on here are clearly perfect individuals whose whose horses never misbehave and who get everything right all of the time. i;ve stopped coming in NL because i can't be doing with replies like the poor OP has had...if you don't gel with a horse then sell, end of- i've done it before and i would do it again. i also threaten mine with being made into dog food when they wind me up- i don't actually mean it- i'm just venting (oh but sorry, i forgot, some people on here are perfect and don't need to 'vent'
wink.gif
) Some of the advice is clearly ridiculous as well- 'you shouldn't be trying to muck out round your horse'- why the hell not?!! i do this on a daily basis and my horses stay out of my way (they move around me quite happily, don't threaten me etc...) OP- if you need to vent feel free to PM me - i don't think you have deserved some of these replies, you've had a hard decision to make
crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps you shouldn't muck out round your horse without first tying it up for safety reasons.
You never know - they could get excitable, barge their owners, who might then end up stuck in the stable, unable to get out the door, and end up scared and tearful.
Oh, what am I saying - that would never happen, would it?
tongue.gif

Also, I've lost count of the number of horses who were fine to muck out round - until the day they randomly decide to jump over the wheelbarrow and cause themselves a lot of damage.
frown.gif

S
grin.gif

diggerbez

Visit site
well in all the years of having horses i've never tied one up to muck out (unless its a horse i don't know, then i wouldn't try to muck out round it) and have never had an accident. i have, on the other hand, had a horse (in fact several) trying to strangle itself when its been tied up (using twine)- EVERYTHING involving horses carries a risk, yes you can minimise the risks but for EVERYTHING you do there will be one person who knows someone who had an accident doing that very same thing....
crazy.gif

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
well in all the years of having horses i've never tied one up to muck out (unless its a horse i don't know, then i wouldn't try to muck out round it) and have never had an accident. i have, on the other hand, had a horse (in fact several) trying to strangle itself when its been tied up (using twine)- EVERYTHING involving horses carries a risk, yes you can minimise the risks but for EVERYTHING you do there will be one person who knows someone who had an accident doing that very same thing....
crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I am sure you never have tied one up, but the fact remains that it is recommended practice, for safety reasons, as poor Hairymolly's post should illustrate.
S
grin.gif

hairymolly

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i cant believe how up their own arses some people are!!!

i dont care if the horse has been in for 4 weeks straight on ten buckets of oats a day, it should have more bloody manners than to actively try and hurt ANY person in its space!!!!

sounds like hairymolly just doesnt get on with her and thats fine, and far better for her to sell the mare now so they can both have fun with partners they gel with, than do what many people would do and keep the horse out of sheer pig headedness, and probably ruin it though temper or ignore it through fear.

i think you are def doing the right thing and if you want to pm me again to talk it through or just to vent then go ahead!!!!

i sold a lovely horse last year because i just didnt gel with him, or him with me, and it wound me up. so shoot me.

[/ QUOTE ]

How unnecessary was that response to my post?
The OP has got to look after the horse until it is sold, and reducing the amount of haylege WILL make the horse easier to deal with. So as far as I am concerned that is helpful advice.
I don't think the OP should keep the horse (and nor do I think she should shoot it). I think she should get shot of it as quickly as possible and buy something that she can enjoy. BUT in the meantime, SOMEONE HAS GOT TO LOOK AFTER THE HORSE SO REDUCE THE FOOD!! (which DOES make a massive difference to the general behaviour of a horse)

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think that was aimed at you I think it was a response to the whole post.

She gets fed haylage because thats what the yard sells and we are not allowed to buy in her own stuff and moving is not an option for me. She has always been fed haylage and is normally fine. If I cut down her haylage and she runs out before turnout time she gets rather cranky and is a nightmare for the YO to out out in morning. She has also been know break the bolt and go and eat somebody elses. Also as she has climbed a door in the past I worry about this. The horse will be looked after by me till she is sold or I get a place for her to go to schooling.

hairymolly

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I am sure you never have tied one up, but the fact remains that it is recommended practice, for safety reasons, as poor Hairymolly's post should illustrate.

She was tied up she broke the rope.
S
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

hairymolly

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
HairyMolly, you say you have had to resort to a stick before. Did you use the stick in the stable?

I'm wondering if you were unconsciously giving off the same signals as you did when using the stick before? She might have been protecting herself expecting a whack?

I can honestly say that I have had some bargy difficult mares, but I have always managed to click with them without having to resort to sticks etc. I think if you have your posture and body language right then you have already won.

Maybe you just haven't tuned into this mare?

ETS sorry hit the button too soon! I totally respect that this mare needs a new home. For whatever reason she sounds like she would be happier elsewhere. I don't think any horse that is out of control like this is truly happy personally.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used a stick when I first got her I havent carried one for about a year. I arrived at yard in a very good mood had had a lovely afternoon with my friend and I was standing beside her muttering something about how she must be glad to get out of the cold as it was bloody freezing and untieing her haynet at the same time I really dont think I was giving off agressive or nagative vibes. And to be honest she really isnt that scared of sticks.

KingCharles

Visit site
I think you have been brave to admit that things are not working out for you and your mare, and that it is time to move on. Many people are too proud to give up and admit that the partnership is not working out. For what it is worth i have found that horses are treated more firmer abroad. They are genrally used to harder work and less handeling and the handeing is ussualy more firmer.

That aside you have had the mare for a while and it is obvious that for whatever reason she is not looking to you as a leader, and her behaviour is mediocre.

Tonight could be the start of things to come, and you where lucky tonight. Next time you may not be so lucky.
weather is your management of the mare, or your temperments clash or weather you feel intimidated by her and you are both feeding each others fears. It is obvious that things are not going to get better with out some sort of help, if at all.

While we can all sit here and try and guess why it happened and pick faults in the whys and what fores. the fact remains that this could of happened at anytime. Many people become complacant around there horses, and while its no fun having to be on high guard all the time, it is generally these times when accidents happen.

I would not label your mare as being nasty or anything other than a sharp energetic work horse, who forgot her place and ended up getting in a pickle.

Sell her with full disclosure to a home that can manage her and deal with this breed, and chalk it down to experience, we cant win them all.

Debzmeister

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

She gets fed haylage because thats what the yard sells and we are not allowed to buy in her own stuff and moving is not an option for me. She has always been fed haylage and is normally fine. If I cut down her haylage and she runs out before turnout time she gets rather cranky and is a nightmare for the YO to out out in morning. She has also been know break the bolt and go and eat somebody elses. Also as she has climbed a door in the past I worry about this. The horse will be looked after by me till she is sold or I get a place for her to go to schooling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its hard to make a decision to sell your horse. I took me a year to decide to sell my last one, we just didnt gel simple as.

Just throwing my 2cent in here but i used to own a TB mare who believed she ruled the roost, bargy, bolshy and just irritated really.

I Talked to YO and vet about it, did bloods,The mares hormones were all over the shop litterally, she also had a feed intolerance, So we changed her diet, supplemented her mareishness and used a magneesium based calmer. IT took a while but the mare became settled in herself and made life a whole lot easier all round