depressed pony

SkylarkAscending

Visit site
Im sorry to post again but I’ve noticed her age - I hacked out today on a 24 year old section D, she is sprightly and happy and full of beans, nothing like this. It’s nobody’s fault, it really isn’t, but she has had enough now ☹️

lifewithflash

Visit site
Is it possible that she’s older than you think? When passports came in the owner filled it out themselves and could put anything they liked. Or maybe try a different companion if that’s possible. Sorry you’re in this predicament.
we have a passport that is from 2007 so its a duplicate other than that I don't know

lifewithflash

Visit site
Im sorry to post again but I’ve noticed her age - I hacked out today on a 24 year old section D, she is sprightly and happy and full of beans, nothing like this. It’s nobody’s fault, it really isn’t, but she has had enough now ☹️
I was only hacking her out in September and she was galloping about not being able to stop. its only since penny(her friend) died that she started losing weight which was arourd a month ago I think

SkylarkAscending

Visit site
I was only hacking her out in September and she was galloping about not being able to stop. its only since penny(her friend) died that she started losing weight which was arourd a month ago I think

With the greatest respect, September is 6 months ago - so much can happen in that time. I hope your vet can help as they of course are far more qualified than me

Auslander

Visit site
get the weightbrige out soon so will get her sorted out with food then
You don't need to wait for a weighbridge to get her sorted with food. She is very thin, so she needs a vet (which I can see you've arranged) and she needs either more, or better food. What are you feeding her at the moment

Equi

Visit site
I’m not entirely sure what the weighbridge will achieve other than to tell you she’s very underweight, which we already know, and to have the feed company push their brand of feed on to you.

I’m glad the vet will be out on Wednesday. I hope they can be pragmatic.

spotty_pony2

Visit site

Possibly losing her friend has caused her to become depressed and her health has spiralled because of it but if she has lost that much weight in a month alarm bells would be ringing… I’d even be wondering about grass sickness?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
get the weightbrige out soon so will get her sorted out with food then
Well obviously a weight bridge at this stage is neither here nor there at this stage. She’s in pretty shocking condition- you don’t need to weigh her to see that.

What exactly are you feeding her and is she turned out on decent grazing?

There’s one of two things happening here: Age and illness have caught up with her or she’s starving. I’d like to think it’s the former.

lifewithflash

Visit site
Well obviously a weight bridge at this stage is neither here nor there at this stage. She’s in pretty shocking condition- you don’t need to weigh her to see that.

What exactly are you feeding her and is she turned out on decent grazing?

There’s one of two things happening here: Age and illness have caught up with her or she’s starving. I’d like to think it’s the former.
getting a weight bridge and getting how much and what I should be feeding her correct. she's turned out 24/7 but field is muddy due to bad weather (something I cant help)

lifewithflash

Visit site
So what are you feeding her to ensure she gets enough grub?
I feed her the Dodson & Horrell sixteen plus mix which was recommend to us by someone who has older horses. I want to feed her more but I don't know what is right for her, which is why we getting someone out to assess what she's missing. I don't know much about feed and don't want to end up giving her something that will do more damage than good.

Melody Grey

Visit site
Is she on unlimited hay? That’s where I’d start if not. It’s been a tough winter and there’s not been much on our fields, so I can see how she could have lost so much over the winter without enough hay -not enough hay will have likely meant she’s cold.

lifewithflash

Visit site
Is she on unlimited hay? That’s where I’d start if not. It’s been a tough winter and there’s not been much on our fields, so I can see how she could have lost so much over the winter without enough hay -not enough hay will have likely meant she’s cold.
she's got thick coat and isn't cold. She's survived this winter amazingly up until penny died, which has caused her depression. i cant put a rug on her as she gets suck in them and the vet advised to not put one on her as she's fluffy and will be fine

lifewithflash

Visit site
Is she getting enough hay/ access to it? Sounds like maybe not? Is she bullied away by others?
This is the probably, she's at the very bottom of pecking order and get pushed away. im going to see the yard owner if I get get her in a field with my other pony who he happy with as soon as possible.