Did you know.... one for the AAD regulars....

WoopsiiD

summerfieldstables.weebly.com
Not sure about Millie but none of our dogs have ever been KC registered.

I'd bite someone hands off for a Labradoodle.

As for the field trial winners-I've met some in the past that have the looks that are required, the speed, the obidience but put them in the field!

Two of my uncles in Wales have always hunted. They to this day reckon the best dogs they ever had came from the ugliest most disfunctional springer sire in the whole of Wales. The KC would have had a fit if they saw him but on the field he was a legend.

Ravenwood

Visit site
Exactly my point!

PS: I meant to type aspertions not astertions but it was too late to edit :eek: I think I was thinking of nasturtiams which are growing in my flower bed :eek:

WoopsiiD

summerfieldstables.weebly.com
Nothing grows in my garden. TT has seen to that.

Slightly off topic..............2nd attempt at the old driving lark Monday!

I might just make up in time for Christmas. Got TT almost returning to hand!

Pix

Visit site
I would have said there is more KC bashing than praise on here tbh! But that might be selective memory since I have a GSD and the KC comes under fire a lot from GSD people (for valid reasons IMO).

Loki (GSD) is my first KC dog :p Growing up, nearly all the dogs around were working dogs (generally gun dogs) and our pet dogs came from the same stock (bar the unofficial rescue lab, though he was locally bred from good working stock too). It would never have occurred to us to go out and find a KC breeder! There was always somebody from the hunting/shooting lot in the pub who had a litter or knew of a litter. To be fair, I'm fairly sure a lot of the people on the forum work their dogs? There always seems to be shooting threads around at least.

As per cross breeds in general, I have no problem whatsoever. However it should be done for a reason, and with careful consideration. Not to make cash by pandering to the many idiots out there who have more money than dog sense. What annoys me is when people claim that a cross will magically give you the perfect dog, without properly taking into account how genetics actually work (i.e crossing an ugly working dog with a pretty pet is just as likely to give you an ugly pet as a good looking working dog- and everything in between). Pointless crosses that are churned out for money infuriate me. An example is GSD x Mal/husky. People want the pretty husky look with a more trainable GSD temperament. A wolf that you can let off the lead so to speak. Well sorry but no, it doesn't work that way. You may get lucky now and then in the first few generations, and if you were very serious about creating such a dog then many, many years down the line you might be able to make it standard. But in the mean time how many of these pups are actually going to be a terrible clash of genes? the worst of both worlds so to speak. You have a dog that won't work like a GSD and won't pull like a husky. Bit pointless? And how many of these pups will enter the gene pool for no reason other than being pretty and having a numpty owner?

Sorry for last paragraph being such a long rant. Normal foolishness will resume as of now :D

Galupy

Visit site
Phew, thank goodness I can usually only post when everyone is sleeping. That makes me not a regular user and therefore not a bully (it's hard to bully someone who's not awake to pay attention to it) even though I tend to hang out in here in the small hours of your morning more than anywhere ... :D.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Ok, late to the party again! I don't think we are bullies, but yes we do may be jump on people who maybe don't have the long term welfare of their dogs at heart.
RW, I think you are confusing the fact that people are recommending dogs should have health tests, with being pro KC. If you look at some posts, particularly CCs and mine, we are usually slagging off the KC for registering stock which does not have health tests. If someone brought in a separate registration body for dogs I for one would happily jump ship.
Yes we have a go at designer breeds, but in general it is because of the ridiculous claims made and prices asked for such puppies. I'm sure a lot of sprockers etc do make great working dogs, but can you really find any justification in the husky/gsd or chihuahua/pug crosses, to name just 2 that seem popular round here.
You work your dogs, they have a great life doing what they were bred for, and I imagine they were bred selectively for their ability, be it with or without kc papers. No one is going to mate 2 dogs with no working ability and expect to sell them all to working homes.
I'm not sure if you are reacting to some of the comments you got re Rosies season and the thought of sprollie pups, but think you will find most of us were more concerned at the thought of a 10 month old bitch having pups than what flavour they were. I hope you felt all the advice you were given was constructive not bullying though.
You are right, having pups from a top show winner does not guarantee a good home, that is down to the breeder to thoroughly check out each prospective pup. Personally I actually do not like selling pups to show kennels, as there is the worry that if the pup does not fulfill its potential it will be sold on again.
And on a final note, I am most hurt that NN has never expressed any desire to dognap my pooches.:(

Spudlet

Visit site
RW, if that's the case then how come no one has jumped on Puppy about the Popplets? Because she has done the right thing, in choosing the parents carefully, lining up homes before ever the pups were born, and she will be there if for some reason the little one who went to another home needs to go back. I don't think many people on here have an issue with responsible breeding, I certainly don't. And I'm sure that IF Rosie did get caught - which I'm positive she won't! - but if she did, you would be responsible too.

What gets my goat are people who come on here saying they have all these puppies with no homes, and what will they do, woe is me, thought they were going to fund my holidays, and people asking about how much they might be able to make breeding pups from their random bitch. And that's not about to change!

FestiveSpirit

Visit site
Ok, late to the party again! I don't think we are bullies, but yes we do may be jump on people who maybe don't have the long term welfare of their dogs at heart.
RW, I think you are confusing the fact that people are recommending dogs should have health tests, with being pro KC. If you look at some posts, particularly CCs and mine, we are usually slagging off the KC for registering stock which does not have health tests. If someone brought in a separate registration body for dogs I for one would happily jump ship.
Yes we have a go at designer breeds, but in general it is because of the ridiculous claims made and prices asked for such puppies. I'm sure a lot of sprockers etc do make great working dogs, but can you really find any justification in the husky/gsd or chihuahua/pug crosses, to name just 2 that seem popular round here.
You work your dogs, they have a great life doing what they were bred for, and I imagine they were bred selectively for their ability, be it with or without kc papers. No one is going to mate 2 dogs with no working ability and expect to sell them all to working homes.
I'm not sure if you are reacting to some of the comments you got re Rosies season and the thought of sprollie pups, but think you will find most of us were more concerned at the thought of a 10 month old bitch having pups than what flavour they were. I hope you felt all the advice you were given was constructive not bullying though.
You are right, having pups from a top show winner does not guarantee a good home, that is down to the breeder to thoroughly check out each prospective pup. Personally I actually do not like selling pups to show kennels, as there is the worry that if the pup does not fulfill its potential it will be sold on again

Thank you MM you have eloquently summarised my feelings there :D

RW I have nothing but contempt for the KC, they do nothing IMHO to ensure the health and well being of the pedigree dog. None of my dogs are KC registered nor will they ever be, as they are all ex-working dogs!

Vizslak

Visit site
I'm deffo not pro KC...I am pro what the KC could be but isnt!
As MM says I'm only against useless crosses bred irresponsibly! All our breeds derived from somewhere...that involved carefully thought out cross breeding in the past. I have to say the only useful cross breeds I can think of are first cross lurchers and longdogs and sprockers, cross breed terriers in varying variety can be worth their weight too but I hate to see them being advertised to pet homes. Flora worked alongside a sprocker yesterday, nice little dog but the thing that struck me most about it was it actually whinged and whined almost constantly, it was way worse than Flora and that is Floras one trait I would get rid of if I could, her least desirable asset! It was also as nuts as a cocker when working. No idea if they are all like this though, I have met very few. I've never met a springador either but can imagine them to be useful dogs...again though only if they are being bred for a purpose, parents have relevant health tests and the litter are all primarily workers, its the fact dogs like this are advertised as pets with ridiculous price tags that gets to me.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Ravenwood, neither of my dogs are registered with the KC.
Nor will any dogs I have in future until they buck up their ideas on health testing.
Neither of them will ever enter a show ring.
So I am not sure where you are coming from on that one?

Ravenwood

Visit site
:eek: Possibly a glass too many of wine last night and went off on one a bit - obviously couldn't keep my fingers from the keyboard :eek:

Hope I didn't offend anyone xx

SusieT

Visit site
As a non reg (maybe I shouldnt be reading this?) yes-I think that AADers can be bullying at times, particularly to new posters, regarding breeding, feeding, training etc. Very often I see short sharp, demanding responses or absoloute castigationg about how you 'hope' this and that with the undertones that otherwise the dog will keel over dead the next day, and you are a bad owner. Nevermind if you suggest you might get a pup because you can't be bothered with rescues (a personal choice),,
Everyone does things differently with their dogs, and just because they don't have your views on crossbreeds, rescues or ways to train etc. doesn't mean you can jump down their throats-which happens a lot on here.
Put it this way-if some people see you as coming across as bullying, that would concern me enough to closely examine my own actions and wonder if I could put things in a better way. Short snappy responses may look good on a forum, but behind the screen name is another human..

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
No worries, be thankful I'm sober or else you would have got six lengthy, stream of consciousness paragraphs about...oh...everything, ever :p

I am not at war with the KC, I just believe that there are better alternatives right now and that dog owners, puppy buyers, breeders etc, should have more choice, information and guidance on their chosen breed, or cross :p.
I am lucky enough to have access to an alternative system which puts health and working ability to the fore.
Soon, I hope more and more people will have access to such alternatives and will vote with their feet (and their cash) and then maybe, the KC will see what they **should** have been doing all along.

FrodoBeutlin

Visit site
As a non reg (maybe I shouldnt be reading this?) yes-I think that AADers can be bullying at times, particularly to new posters, regarding breeding, feeding, training etc. Very often I see short sharp, demanding responses or absoloute castigationg about how you 'hope' this and that with the undertones that otherwise the dog will keel over dead the next day, and you are a bad owner. Nevermind if you suggest you might get a pup because you can't be bothered with rescues (a personal choice),,
Everyone does things differently with their dogs, and just because they don't have your views on crossbreeds, rescues or ways to train etc. doesn't mean you can jump down their throats-which happens a lot on here.
Put it this way-if some people see you as coming across as bullying, that would concern me enough to closely examine my own actions and wonder if I could put things in a better way. Short snappy responses may look good on a forum, but behind the screen name is another human..

Agree with this 100%.

CAYLA

Visit site
Aw well we have atleast established Im one or maybe the main bully:rolleyes:
Im clearly not one of the KC bully'ers , as if I recall I have possibly never even typed the letters Kc...........sorry yes I have Kennel cough:rolleyes:
As MM puts it so well the only posts I have ever seen someone jumped on is because they have been ignorant either in that post or in their previous posts, it's a dog forum and the welfare of dogs is strangely a strong topic in here:rolleyes:
Im affraid my bullying also stretches to bullying folk to Pm me for advice:rolleyes: unless these are the folk complaining, the ones I have communicated to via PM:eek: (where is that PiebaldSparkle) it's always best to keep her where you can see her;)
Some folk obviosuly think it fine to breed from anything with a vulva and a dog with balls and sod the aftermath, esp when they have no intention to offer the off spring back up (which is my main peeve) and the one thing I will comment on because it's all well and good to keep your 2 pet dogs in your not so over crowded home:rolleyes: and 2 or 3 which you bred from them are now sitiing in my house:rolleyes: or my mams kennels, I fully understand too the need to breed working dogs and maybe not be so strict with the health tests, this I know well as we have had just as many workers dogs in our rescue with crippling defects as we have pet dogs and show dogs, when they are discarded of their is no discrimination in regards to "how well/or if they where tested" however it does make a difference to the dogs welfare I would like to think:)
If anyone feels I bully them, please let me know, I will do sod all about it depending on said person:D, but it's worth mentioning it to me, esp if your name is Carey or Horseyscot:rolleyes:
Anyways I actually think Im very mild compared to some;)

And lest not forget these X breeds always looks cute as pups, but they can look god awful as adults (most common reason to discard of them later) depending on what some toughtless idiot decided was in season that day and what random dog still had balls:rolleyes:

Last edited:

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Personally speaking, everything I say on here, advice I give, I hope, is in the best interest of the dog, and dogs in general.
If I offend any human beings when I do that, I'm not sure I actually care.

Right, off to lay a track :)

silverbullet

Visit site
As more of a lurker than a poster (unless I have something interesting to post about) I have to say in my posts i've never felt bullied.

I think some of the people who feel bullied come on and ask for advice but they don't really want advice, they want someone to tell them that what they are already doing is fantastic.

I personally get frustrated if I give advice which is then completely ignored as i'm sure others do. If you ask for advice then take it. If you're going to do things your way anyway, why bother to ask.

I'll stop now - I only came on to look at the pics!!

SusieT

Visit site
silverbullet-do you feel that all advice givne when requested should be taken or sifted through to try and find the appropriate advice for ones situation? If I advised someone who came on here looking to buy a collie x lab that yes that was a great idea, I was sure those breeds would need no exercise and would lie quietly at home all day, should they take that advise? Yes, certainly, there are people who come on and then make excuses as to why they can't possibly implement any of those ideas, some of these will already have tried all the advice and need 'real world' help iyswim, some are just posting to look good.
CC-Without the good will of the human you don't care about offending, your advice has little chance of reaching the dog you are trying to help.

Galupy

Visit site
Personally speaking, everything I say on here, advice I give, I hope, is in the best interest of the dog, and dogs in general.
If I offend any human beings when I do that, I'm not sure I actually care.

This is what AAD should be about and what I have always found. The forum isn't called "All About Dog Owners" after all. I've never felt bullied (even though I own beagles :D) in here.

FrodoBeutlin

Visit site
Sure, but Susie T has a point - if a user comes on here for advice and feels s/he is being bullied etc, what's the chance s/he is going to actually listen to the advice given??

I am 100% sure it's all done in good faith, but some people can be so rude when expressing their opinions that sometimes it's really hard to sift through the rudeness, pointless sarcasm etc to get to the opinion ;)

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
SusieT, if you yourself had something more constructive to say to other users than 'put a muzzle on it' 'crates are cruel' or 'Cayla is an evil puppy killer', then I perhaps I would take your opinion on board :)

Galupy

Visit site
Sure, but Susie T has a point - if a user comes on here for advice and feels s/he is being bullied etc, what's the chance s/he is going to actually listen to the advice given??

I am 100% sure it's all done in good faith, but some people can be so rude when expressing their opinions that sometimes it's really hard to sift through the rudeness, pointless sarcasm etc to get to the opinion ;)

Would it help if the AAD regulars finished each post with an offer of hot chocolate and biccies (glitter?)?

GinaB

Visit site
I'll be honest..I can actually see why some people would see it as bullying. Perhaps bullying isn't the correct word, but all of you are so, so passionate about what you believe in (I'm not saying this is a bad thing!!) that sometimes some people do get carried away and their responses can come across rather holier than thou.

Although, at least it's upfront and honest as opposed to bitching behind others backs...

However, this would be my first port of call whenever I have any issues with any of my dogs and I rarely give advice as so many more on here know so much more than me :)

Mogg

Visit site
not a regular poster but certainly a regular lurker, i have come to recognise (i hope) those regular AADs whose advice seems to me to be honest and with the dog's welfare at heart. The replies may not be what the poster wants to hear, and i admit there may be history that i as a newbie am unaware of, but still the welfare of the dog is paramount. Having said that there is one regular who comes across (to me) as a bit up themselves and holier than thou. that person is, i have no doubt, concerned for the animals welfare it's just the way their responses read to me

to me forum bullying is if the same hammer is wielded again and again by the same poster(s) toward one person,(assuming its not questions like 'i bred 10 puppies cos my bitch is pretty and now they won't sell' or 'how do i rehome my aggressive xxx' or if, regardless of the posters question they are beaten down.
An example for anyone who ventures into NL is a certain teenager who could simply make a post saying 'my horse is brown' and she'd get a stream of responses saying how stupid she is, horses are bay/chestnut..blah blah and what on earth is she doing riding if the horse is brown.

Then again if a person genuinely feels that they have been bullied then if it were me id pm said bully and sort it out with them. but thats just me

Vizslak

Visit site
she offended me! Next time you are sat there getting half cut RW you could at least pass the bottle round :mad: :p :D bloomin greedy! ;)