Difficult yard owner and daughter (DIY)

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
It's ludicrous to operate a yard without appropriate insurance cover. Is that what ILC is admitting to? The yard owner could still get sued in the event of a accident/incident, and if found culpable would have to find the compensation themselves from assets. They could be wiped out.

Madness.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I’m not sure how useful it is to check if a yard has PL insurance, even if you checked the certificate it can be cancelled anytime and if payments are missed then it’s invalid anyway the same with any insurance.

Given all the day to day issues suffered by liveries at the hands of YO I’d imagine looking at insurance coverage is not top of the list of worries. I know mine has it (or says they do) and insists all liveries do but I could cancel mine at anytime and they’d never know.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
It's ludicrous to operate a yard without appropriate insurance cover. Is that what ILC is admitting to? The yard owner could still get sued in the event of a accident/incident, and if found culpable would have to find the compensation themselves from assets. They could be wiped out.

Madness.

That is the trouble with forums like this - some people assume you would open up your private premises to people to shred apart what you have spent years building up.

Where did I say I was talking about my yard??? I am talking about yards around here and that I have been to as a livery. What goes on in my yard is mine and my husbands business and I will not discuss any legal matter on this forum about our business as I know what it is like.

Last edited:

ihatework

Visit site
It would probably have been polite for them to let you know the work was going to be done, just so the more precious of DIYers could have made arrangements to be there if they felt strongly about it - but in the grand scheme of ‘YO sins’ it comes pretty low down the list of things to get annoyed by.

SEL

Visit site
My horse has been taken out of her stable and popped in another one when the electric light was being fixed. Didn't even occur to me to be upset!

Insurance is interesting. If you have staff you're legally obliged to have employer's liability insurance, but not if they're family members. I'd always have public liability cover with horses in case one got out and caused an accident, but I suspect a lot of YO just hope it'll never happen

huskydamage

Visit site
My YO once cut a field for hay with my horse in it. She is terrified of tractors and I found her sweated up and shaking on a long patch of grass in the corner. The YO has done many things which inconvienced me by moving my horse around to do this and that, but I wouldn't dare say anything. It's their yard not mine, so they can do what they like. If something really upset me I'd just leave. But I've yet to be on a yard where the YO communicates this stuff with me. It just happens and I suck it up tbh.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I'm not shocked because the poster has told us that her yard doesn't have insurance before. I can't see that it makes much difference to the liveries tbh but it certainly could make a difference to the YO if something went wrong. There are very few people who have no assets at all - car, horsebox, house, stableyard for instance.

In the event of a serious incident, those assets may not be sufficient - especially if the house and yard are mortgaged. But yes, I more meant from a YO standpoint, I can't think why you wouldn't take the precaution of insurance. I can't say I've asked for proof of insurance as a livery.

Laika

Visit site
I would be careful on getting too cross with your Y.O as they could end up becoming "too strict" on handling your horse. My Y.O is very kind and during winter, pops my horse out in the sand paddock for a leg stretch when I'm at work and obviously I think this is a very kind thing to do.