Dilutes in the Hunter Ring

Goldenstar

Visit site
Show hunters are a sort of ideal if you asked me what my ideal hunter in my mind would be colour wise it a bay or a brown with no white on the legs .
If it was a heavyweight it could be grey as well ( because of predominance of ID blood in heavy weights ) .

Caol Ila

Visit site
'Skewbald' would work in this context then, no?

Nah, that gets you weird looks too. And technically, it refers to a brown and white horse. The black and white ones are piebald.

If you realy want to confuse people here, start referring to horses as tobiano or overo.

From the American Paint Horse Association website:

"Tobiano:
The dark color usually covers one or both flanks.
Generally, all four legs are white, at least below the hocks and knees.
Generally, the spots are regular and distinct as ovals or round patterns that extend down over the neck and chest, giving the appearance of a shield.
Head markings are like those of a solid-colored horse–solid, or with a blaze, strip, star or snip.
A tobiano may be either predominantly dark or white.
The tail is often two colors.

Overo
(pronounced: oh vair’ oh)
The white usually will not cross the back of the horse between its withers and its tail.
Generally, at least one and often all four legs are dark.
Generally, the white is irregular, and is rather scattered or splashy.
Head markings are distinctive, often bald-faced, apron-faced or bonnet-faced.
An overo may be either predominantly dark or white.
The tail is usually one color.

Tovero
(pronounced: tow vair’ oh)
Dark pigmentation around the ears, which may expand to cover the forehead and/or eyes.
One or both eyes blue.
Dark pigmentation around the mouth, which may extend up the sides of the face and form spots.
Chest spot(s) in varying sizes. These may also extend up the neck.
Flank spot(s) ranging in size. These are often accompanied by smaller spots that extend forward across the barrel, and up over the loin.
Spots, varying in size, at the base of the tail."

And you think you have problems differentiating duns from buckskins......

conniegirl

Visit site
As a colour-related digression, I still find it challenging to call brown-and-white or black-and-white horses "coloured." The word is so heavily loaded with racist connotations in American English. I cringe a little every time I use it. But if I say, "Who's the new paint/pinto in the wee boys' field?" British people look confused. So I sometimes have to!

its the paint/pinto that people are confused over.

And technically, it refers to a brown and white horse. The black and white ones are piebal

piebald is black and white, skewbald is any other colour and white (not just brown)
Or simply call them splodgy pony/horse anyone with a coloured horse will understand that.

Last edited:

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
"Tobiano:
Nah, that gets you weird looks too. And technically, it refers to a brown and white horse. The black and white ones are piebald.

If you realy want to confuse people here, start referring to horses as tobiano or overo.

And you think you have problems differentiating duns from buckskins......
Not forgetting Splashed white and Sabino ?

Visit site
As a colour-related digression, I still find it challenging to call brown-and-white or black-and-white horses "coloured." The word is so heavily loaded with racist connotations in American English. I cringe a little every time I use it. But if I say, "Who's the new paint/pinto in the wee boys' field?" British people look confused. So I sometimes have to!

Com over to the world of Shetlands where we have 3 sections at shows - Blacks, Coloureds and Mini's! You get Standard Blacks so only black ponies over 34" and under 42" can enter. Standard Coloured which is any colour other than Black (So bays, greys, chestnuts, piebalds, skewbalds, palomino, cremello, dun - basically anything that isnt Black or Spotted) between 34" & 42". And then Mini's which are any colour other than spotted under 34".b The only colour we do NOT allow is spotted. (and rightly so as they are hideous ... *runs and hides*)

So if you think the horse world is racist by called a piebald/skewbald coloured then they really don't have a patch on us Shetlander's!

abbijay

Visit site
its the paint/pinto that people are confused over.

piebald is black and white, skewbald is any other colour and white (not just brown)
Or simply call them splodgy pony/horse anyone with a coloured horse will understand that.

Or simply call them splodgy pony/horse anyone with a coloured horse will understand that.[/QUOTE]

I think the newly more acceptable term is "Patchytw*t"

NinjaPony

Visit site
Showing is mad when it comes to colour ‘fashions’. Totally arbitrary.
My Welsh A is black with four white socks and a big white blaze. He comes from excellent lines (old fashioned as he is now 22) and yet black is a rarity in the Welsh A show ring. Some judges wouldn’t give him a second glance, never mind consider him on his own merits (excellent conformation, well mannered in the ring mostly, always turned out properly etc etc). No idea why there is this weird prejudice against the colour for this specific breed, vs Shetland’s where black is order of the day. Madness. He’s a flashy little thing and always attracted admirers at shows (I used to joke they were welcome to him as he can be a right pain when he wants to be and he’s retired!) but with judges it was very much love or loathe. Luckily, showing was just a way of giving him a second job after retiring from ridden work so it didn’t matter to me whether he placed or not, but just another example of showing ‘unspoken rules’…

minesadouble

Visit site
Showing is mad when it comes to colour ‘fashions’. Totally arbitrary.
My Welsh A is black with four white socks and a big white blaze. He comes from excellent lines (old fashioned as he is now 22) and yet black is a rarity in the Welsh A show ring. Some judges wouldn’t give him a second glance, never mind consider him on his own merits (excellent conformation, well mannered in the ring mostly, always turned out properly etc etc). No idea why there is this weird prejudice against the colour for this specific breed, vs Shetland’s where black is order of the day. Madness. He’s a flashy little thing and always attracted admirers at shows (I used to joke they were welcome to him as he can be a right pain when he wants to be and he’s retired!) but with judges it was very much love or loathe. Luckily, showing was just a way of giving him a second job after retiring from ridden work so it didn’t matter to me whether he placed or not, but just another example of showing ‘unspoken rules’…

In Welsh in hand showing adult geldings are always up against it, regardless of colour, as those rings are generally seen as the domain of youngstock and breeding stock.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
That does seem to be changing though, there has been active encouragement for in hand geldings to compete

NinjaPony

Visit site
In Welsh in hand showing adult geldings are always up against it, regardless of colour, as those rings are generally seen as the domain of youngstock and breeding stock.

This is also my experience, which is why I tried to take him in mixed mountain and moorland as I generally found geldings were less frowned upon. Mixed classes throw up different problems though, with some judges clearly favouring a particular breed over another… such is showing!

LegOn

Visit site
I'm gonna stick my neck out here but the point of showing is really what the judge likes at the end of the day. Yes they have to be correct to type, yes they have to be conformationly correct, yes they have to have manners and all the right turnout etc and be ridden and ride nicely but when it comes down to it - if all of them meet that criteria when it is really down to personal choice by a judge! The premise of hunter classes is the horse the judge would like to take home/ride out hunting for a day with. So like 'most' of us, they can and sometimes do have a preference for colour or tack or hoof colour - anything can be the thing that literally spilts hairs for the placings cause it is a beauty pageant for horses!!

I've heard judges saying they liked the clear hoof colour varnish on one horse & didnt like the black polish on another so when you like 2 equally - there is the thing that divides 1st from 2nd place! Or they preferred the plaits on one horse to another - or I have heard in a line up that the judge preferred to see a double set of bits over a pelham!

My horse is black with a ND1 recessive cream gene so looks like smokey black/maghony kinda colour with a yellow/golden hue but I've been told to dye him by some judges! And other judge placed him 2nd in a class purely on his lovely colour compared to all the greys and bays- it depends!

For what its worth, I've seen a few Pallys get placed high up at the RDS Horse Show in Ireland - Small Hunter got 3rd I think one year!

Clodagh

Visit site
Surely no one shows at a decent level in anything other than a double? I’m so old fashioned I used to hunt with one ?

Visit site
Surely no one shows at a decent level in anything other than a double? I’m so old fashioned I used to hunt with one ?

Some go for show Pelhams if the horse can't take 2 bits which then gives you all of the leatherwork and metalwork you need on the head but with only 1 mouthpiece. But most Horse classes are in proper doubles with I don't want to know what mouthpiece.

Pelhams are usually more for the natives and Coloured cobs.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Elf I will say it took me ages to work out the shetland split of colours - probably initially just from h+h show reports and going coloured? it's chestnut . . . It's very bizarre.

Visit site
Elf I will say it took me ages to work out the shetland split of colours - probably initially just from h+h show reports and going coloured? it's chestnut . . . It's very bizarre.

It is but because, especially in Scotland, you would get a class of 20 blacks and 2 non-blacks and the non-blacks wouldn't get a look in. So they split them out. But it does get funny when people who only know Shetlands and nothing else about horses or showing tries to take their chestnuts and bays into normal peoples Coloured classes and get annoyed when they get kicked out of the ring ??

only_me

Visit site
Bill was a nice LW hunter type, did well in the few county shows we did. He was IDxTB, by a coloured eventing stallion. He always gave a lovely ride for the judges, despite him being slightly upright in the shoulder he was very comfortable, a big walk and swinging trot with a great gallop thanks to eventing.
Never took him to RDS etc. because I’d never any intention of selling him which tbh is what the RDS was for and was also too expensive for us as a sideline to eventing lol. More of an educational day for him than anything.

As a 5 year old
image.jpg1_zpsaarp5xml.jpg

think he is 7 here
DSCN6507_zps75czxyz5.jpg

There was a beautiful palomino who my friend evented, was 3/4 ID and would have made a fantastic MW hunter.