Do fat riders make your blood boil?

Michelle73

Visit site
Yes I do thank you Wizoz. Especially after riding that rearing race horse yesterday!!!
shocked.gif

Bring it on!!!!
grin.gif

at work

Visit site
No, it doesn't generally make my blood boil. The photos that have been posted of competition riders don't look that gross to me and they are in balance on fit, well muscled horses.

What does make my blood boil is a very overweight rider on an equally overweight horse, even if they do only hack, who believes that making the poor horse carry a massive excess body weight of it's own has somehow turned it into a 'weight carrier' suitable for them to ride.

Agent XXX999

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
You're 16 and competing Grand Prix dressage? Impressive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Giggles.

My tuppence worth

Basically, if you are a tubby person on a horse that suits you, i.e. a heavyweigh cob or a native, then that obviously works.

HOWEVER

Eventing/Dressage/SJ/Racing is a physically demanding and athletic sport on both you and the horse. You would not expect a skiier, or a football player, or a tennis player at the highest levels to be a fatty, so why should it differ with horses

I am also of the opinion that if you want to get rid of the weight you can, and that 90% of overweight people are greedy and eat too much. I lost 2 stone, through eating less and correctly...so I do have an informed opinion!

tabithakat64

Visit site
My current horse is a 14.3hh supposssedly Welsh D (cob type) he carries both me at 5 foot2 and 12 and a half stone and also my RI at 5 foot 10 and 14 stone. I also have a 13.2hh Welsh B x Arab who I have ridden twice for 15 minutes in walk over the last year as I know I am way too heavy for her. I know that I would probably ride better if I lost weight.
I do think people underestimate how much horses can carry, although I do feel the women in the thread below is obviously damaging her horse.
I don't think rider 'fatness' is a huge problem within the equestrian world and personally I would be more worried about the people who dump their horses in the field and don't take care of them, ride badly, buy a horse without enough knowledge or over horse themselves
laugh.gif

charlie76

Visit site
I am the manager of a riding school and I do often feel bad for the horses when I larger rider comes to rider them esp if they are unbalanced and bumping about ( this includes some of our better riders).
We have a weight limit and will , if need be, put people on the scales as many people take off a stone or 2 when asked their weight!
If a rider is overweight I feel its ok as long as they are aware of that fact, a few riders we have seem to look through that fact and expect to be able to do the same as the fitter rider- for example, in my experience as an instructor, larger people tend to find it difficult to fold from their wasit and allow the hand when jumping or keep forward seat when riding across country.
I also agree that in most 'sports' the person doing the sport would not be overweight.
I know when I am a little too heavy to ride and try to do something about it as its not comfatable for me let alone the horse!
However, saying that, we have a few riders here that are on the bigger side and are well balanced and give the horse no problems at all.
I do not like to see people on horses that are to small for them though.

The other thing to note is that larger people don't always need a great big tall horse to ride- we often put them on smaller cobs with plenty of bone as this seems to give a more balanced picture.
If anyone( like myself) needs to lose weight feel free to come and muck out one of our 78 horses and ponies- you soon slim down!!!!!

Haniki

Visit site
Don't forget there may be a medical reason for a rider being fat eg An underactive thyroid glad.
A good TB should be capable of carrying 12 stone as that is the weight for a NH horse until it gets a handicap.

Michelle73

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

What does make my blood boil is a very overweight rider on an equally overweight horse, even if they do only hack, who believes that making the poor horse carry a massive excess body weight of it's own has somehow turned it into a 'weight carrier' suitable for them to ride.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is skewbald grotesquely gargantuan overweight horse in a yard near me and when the owner rides out with a fag in one hand and the reins in the other it makes my blood boil because the horses legs are buckling under her weight (the horses weight) she's sway backed and I think its appauling. Why have the yard owners not interviened.
mad.gif

SORRY got off the subject!
blush.gif

lexiedhb

Visit site
Yes I know that!
cool.gif

I was just saying that not everyones balance is effected all that much by weight.

Well done for losing so much, im currently low carbing which seems to be working for me.
ooo.gif

rforsyth1984

Visit site
[image]
Sian003.jpg
[/image]
[image]http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f297/rforsyth1984/?action=view&current=Sian004.jpg[/image] [image]http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f297/rforsyth1984/?action=view&current=dressagesun22janSian003_0001_0001.jpg[/image]

Like this you mean? I havnt read all the replies yet, but as an overweight rider (by 3-4 stone at the moment, though admittedly losing weight) who rides a 15.1hh arab I was slightly put out by this post.
My horse has no problems carrying me now, or even when I was a bit heavier. And no, I dont think I should be banned from competing and go hide my fat away from the 'beautiful people'
mad.gif

S_N

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
You're amazing and I hope you inspire others. What a magnificent pair you are.
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Were, he's no longer with us. Thank you though!

Starbucks

Visit site
If i was a big person I don't think I would ride until I lost weight - party because jods are really not very flattering and partly because I don't see why a horse should have to carry me round!

Each to there own I guess but if I had to carry someone round all the time, I would rather they were not hugely over weight!

horsegirl

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
qr

so am I too fat for my TB?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but you need to shorten your stirrups
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I know, I now have them up another hole, we have only just started jumping

kerilli

Visit site
Basically, if you are a tubby person on a horse that suits you, i.e. a heavyweigh cob or a native, then that obviously works.

HOWEVER

Eventing/Dressage/SJ/Racing is a physically demanding and athletic sport on both you and the horse. You would not expect a skiier, or a football player, or a tennis player at the highest levels to be a fatty, so why should it differ with horses

Absolutely, FeuFolet.. that is just what i was getting at, but put much better and more tactfully than i managed! Thankyou.

Sal_E

Visit site
Ha ha, great post, really made me laugh - sorry anyone who's insulted by it, but I love the bluntness of it, LOL!

To answer the question though, I couldn't give a stuff about seeing 'fat' people on well suited horses, but hate seeing unsuitable combinations whether that's fat people on little TB's or tall solid men on little ponies. It's not about how much you weigh, it's about being a suitable match for the animal.

I'm a small, short size 12 & would probably look far more stupid on a huge weight-carrying cob than someone much bigger than me...

StaceyTanglewood

Visit site
god ive laughed for 6 pages !!!

i do agree that when riding at high levels especially eventing and showjumping when the horse has to lift itself and the rider sometimes its not fair !! but as long as the horse can carry the weight and is happy then thats fine really !!!

kerilli

Visit site
thanks, Sal_E, i'm glad more than one or two other people took it in the spirit in which it was intended. i should have worded it better, but i was still seething after seeing the pics of the poor weak mare who is (allegedly) being ridden by a very large person.
anyway, totally agree with your post.
i never set out to offend anyone, and i wasn't referring to anyone who posts here... crikey, how could i, i have no idea who you all are.
so, sorry if i offended anyone, but i never said "i'm amazingly skinny and wonderful, why aren't you lot?", did i? jeez. for a start, i'm not!
i had certain eventers in mind who are very large on tb's going 4 miles+ at speed, and i guess i should have stated that. people appropriately mounted on horses that can cope with their size, i have no problem with at all.