Do I have grounds for a refund?

L&M

Visit site
Sorry I have not followed the whole thread, but if it was me I would sell the horse on and find a more suitable height replacement, ensuring a measurement is taken at any pre purchase vetting.

I think you, the seller, and the pony, are all victims here and wouldn't place the blame on either side - find a nice home for the horse a and just mark it down to experience.

Good luck!

spacefaer

Visit site
Sorry I have not followed the whole thread, but if it was me I would sell the horse on and find a more suitable height replacement, ensuring a measurement is taken at any pre purchase vetting.

I think you, the seller, and the pony, are all victims here and wouldn't place the blame on either side - find a nice home for the horse a and just mark it down to experience.

Good luck!

The trouble with this advice is the significant price difference between a 148 jumping pony and a nice 151cm small horse.

Upthecreek

Visit site

Good luck!

But she paid a premium because it was supposedly a 148 pony and will lose a lot of money if she just sells it on. The seller is at fault because she sold a 148 pony that hasn’t measured in. The buyer is at fault because the size of the pony was critical & she didn’t buy one with a LHC. I think the buyer will be successful legally because she has proof of the seller stating that the pony would measure in. It hasn’t, therefore it was miss-sold.

No vet would measure a pony at a pre-purchase vetting and guarantee the measurement to be 100% accurate for the purposes of measuring in for height classes.

Jenko109

Visit site

Good luck!

So just suck it up and lose a few thousand pounds?

I hardly think so.

L&M

Visit site
So just suck it up and lose a few thousand pounds?

I hardly think so.

As a lot of people have had to do when 'mis-sold' horses, (this forum is littered with them - I lost a lot of money on a Hoy's level show cob that had a nasty bolting habit) - it is a bitter, bitter pill but plenty of us have been there and done it.

Obviously if the buyer can prove the discrepancy and win a legal case then great, and wish her all the luck.

Last edited:

Lexie01

Visit site
Hi Lexie01, are you able to tell us how this was resolved please? I hope things have worked out.
Hi, I can happily report that we still have the 'horse'.
We did engage the services of an experienced equine solicitor. She confirmed that we had a very strong case against the seller. We spent about 2 months exchanging letters between solicitors - but the seller simply refused to have the pony back and refund me the purchase price. Because the amount in question was above the small claims limit the next step would have been full court proceedings. Whilst we had a strong case and there was every likelihood we would have won because of Covid it would have taken about 12-18mths for the case to come to court.
Waiting this long just wasn't an option for us so we decided to pull out, buy an additional pony (that measured in) and keep the small horse to compete in seniors for a year - a sort of transition horse.
SO we basically lost about 2k in solicitors fees plus the purchase price but gained a lovely mare!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Can you name and shame the dealer, since the pony not measuring in was an undisputable matter of fact?

Lexie01

Visit site
It was shameful behaviour on her part.
Yes and a massive learning curve for us - never to buy a pony without a LHC!
We basically spent nearly 20k on the original pony plus the price of another pony with a LHC plus 2k solicitors fees plus livery costs for 2 rather than the original 1. An expensive mistake.
However I am a optimist/glass half full type of person and there are positives. The pony is a delight - lovely in everyday. She has a gentle soul - so we have also gained - just not financially!

A very gentle soul

millikins

Visit site
I am sorry you've had such a grim and expensive experience. This may be a daft suggestion but would she event? There seem to be a lot more small horses/large ponies at high level eventing than pure SJ.

Lexie01

Visit site
I am sorry you've had such a grim and expensive experience. This may be a daft suggestion but would she event? There seem to be a lot more small horses/large ponies at high level eventing than pure SJ.
Hi, yes she can event. My daughter hates dressage and XC so ultimately I think she will probably go to an eventing home. She does a lovely dressage test.

Fred66

Visit site
The limit for small claims is now £10k, rather than claiming full purchase price could you have claimed the loss in value ?