Do we over analyse horses now

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
I have recently been out to see a new customer with a lovely little horse with some apparently minor issues they've been working through with the vet who basically said a year ago that it was behavioural and to send him away to a good trainer. Eventually found to have ulcers a few months later but still possibly some stuff going on, and the primary cause of the ulcers not identified.

I had spotted an issue with him as soon as I walked on the yard, couldn't have told you the root cause of course, and would be overstepping to do so, but could see his stance was seriously problematic. I directed her to some great professionals, and some simple stuff to do on the ground that should either help him or show up the issues more clearly. After a few days playing with the work he was super agitated and unhappy so she took him back to the vet and insisted on bone scans as well as xraying more of him. Issues in THREE areas that all need treatment and the owner vindicated.

Last edited:

FlyingCircus

Visit site
Honestly that’s not so , it’s the same with people as well .
I'd agree. My mare is a clear case of this.

Dodgy suspensories.
Ringbone.
Abnormal bone growth on her vertebrae.

She looks lovely right now. Shiny, deep dapple palomino who is having a great time trotting around after my gelding in the field, looking pretty sound.

Do anything with her and she falls apart. Doesn't matter if it's ridden or in hand. She is so anxious and stressed by anything but just existing in her field that she is very obviously not ok - despite looking fabulous and sound at liberty.