Do you wear a body protector when out hacking?

tiga71

Visit site
I wear mine every time I ride. I have been riding for 4 years and had my horse for 2.5 years and he was a real handful when I first got him. After I fell off him the first time I got a BP and I just put it on without thinking now.

But I don't feel nervous when I go out hacking or worry that I might fall off. It is just one of the things I wear. i know it won't stop every injury but I have my own business and even a few broken ribs will cost me a lot of money and hassle.

Don't mind what other people do, totally up to them.

Passtheshampoo

Visit site
I wear a BP every time I ride and I mostly hack. After 3 spinal ops I realise that I have to look after my body as much as poss and would now feel odd not wearing it (a bit like not putting a seatbelt on for driving). Let's face it hacking can be dangerous anyway tarmac is unforgiving and traffic doesn't get any slower!

MochaDun

Visit site
I wear mine all the time - schooling, jumping or hacking. Started wearing it hacking after having him a few months and he started napping badly.. Even when napping sorted I've kept going. It's more to do with not having anyone to pick up the pieces should something occur - though I know you can still be seriously injured even with hat and body protector - I just want to limit the damage where I can.

3BayGeldings

Visit site
I'm going to start wearing mine whenever I hack out. I hack out alone on country roads so anything that would make it easier for me to be fully functioning after falling off must be a bonus - I'm thinking of the immediate aftermath of actually catching the horse, getting him back to the farm etc by myself - wouldnt be as easy with broken ribs!- and then longer down the line as I don't get sick pay so can't afford to miss work! I don't see why this makes me a pathetic fuddy-duddy but obviously some people on this thread are still of the opinion that safety is only for the "happy hackers" :rolleyes:

blood_magik

Visit site
I don't actually own a BP at the moment. I'll be getting measured for a kanteq soon.

I dont wear one for hacking and thats my choice.
i may wear one when I get my new horse until we figure each other out. :)

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Nope. I only wear mine when the rules of somewhere (ie, hiring a XC course, HT or whatever) say I have to. I never wear it on my big horse - hack, school, jump and hunt him without one on. Have just bought a new horse who's quite a baby so I will probably be wearing it to jump him, definitely to XC and fun ride him. Will see about hunting, depends how he's going by the time the season starts and how I'm feeling about him!

I need a new one actually, have an ancient Aeroware one, it's horrible. I'd like one of the RaceSafe ones.

Lucyad

Visit site
I don't wear one for hacking, but do for xc and hunting. I also don't for SJ (though possibly should as this is probably when I am most likely to fall off!).

I would wear one for hacking if I was, for example, going to hack via a xc course or over many fixed obsticles, and also if I was riding a greener horse. Basically I make a vague risk assesment and make my choice based on that.

My daughter wears hers for almost everything - possibly leave it off for a short / slow off road hack but that is about it. She is one of few who wear one at her ponyclub though.

dizz4

Visit site
Interested to see whether most people do/ don't...

I normally don't, however after having a fall today and hurting my back I'm starting to think it might be a sensible idea...

I don't wear a body protector all the time but I did upgrade mine to a Racesafe 2000 when a horse I was riding threw me off against a wooden rail (which subsequently broke, although I do not actually remember falling off at all, just getting up off the floor....) and a body protector would have saved me an awful lot of rib pain as it hurt for weeks after, so I keep this in mind when riding and always wear it when jumping as my horse sometimes puts in a dirty stop and I once landed on a jump cup, luckily it was my big fat rump that took the brunt of that one but same horse dumped friend onto a pile of poles, so yes they are a very sensible precaution....

Izzy

swampdonkey

Visit site
I bought one yesterday for the 1st time with the intention of riding in it everytime I ride :)
Have damaged my back twice falling, once on a hack and once in the school so will be donning my police vest everytime lol!

I had expected a bit of stick at the yard but people just said fair play to me and said it looked very smart :) (not that I would have cared what they thought) it's my body, I intend to look after it.

Natti

Visit site
I wear mine almost all of the time except if it's really hot weather! Fell off once into a post and rail fence, if I hadn't had it on things could have been a lot worse! ;)

Talented Mare

Visit site
As much as i hate my body protecter, i always where it when hacking.. just to be on the safe side, iv not had an accident yet but once i got my current spooktastic mare i realised im better off with one. im also cinsidering getting an air jacket which is nice and light compared to a body protecter.

:)

benson21

Visit site
I wish to god now I had worn mine on my last hack! Riding a 100 % bombproof, spook at nothing kind, car hit us, resulting in a broken back.

EMC

Visit site
Yes! I was bucked off when the pointer I was riding took offence to a postie in a red fleece who appeared from behind a car.

Had my Racesafe back protector on, landed on my back and was well enough to jump up (like a scolded cat!) and run after the loose horse! Not so sure I'd have been able to without a back protector as it was tarmac I landed on. More pride bruised than anything else.

The racesafe protectors are so light and flexible now I don't notice I'm wearing it and in winter it's an extra layer. Plus it makes my boobs look bigger!! People probably think I look a bit silly and 'all the gear' but I'm a contractor so if I'm injured and can't work then I don't get paid.

Even the best riders get thrown off or caught off guard occasionally ( ala AP McCoy). Riders should use their own discretion - if riding a known bomb proof horse then maybe not, but when riding a new or horse that is known to spook then maybe a protector should be worn just in case.

mollyblob

Visit site
I always wear mine when riding, whatever I'm doing. I broke my back in a fall years ago (fully recovered now), I was wearing my bp at the time and (although I have no scientific proof for this... ;)) I am sure that even more damage could have been done if I hadn't had it on. It certainly didn't make my injuries any worse! The consultant at the time told me that losing use of my legs could have been a real possibility, and felt that the bp had helped cushion the impact. As it was, I got away with a relatively minor break, six months in a back brace and almost that long not being allowed to sit down (the logistics of this are more complicated than you'd think!).

I almost always wore it anyway, but since then I wear it without fail. If it contributes even a tiny bit towards lessening any injuries, then that's worth it. And mine is an old Rodney Powell, a bargain off the display board at the Equine Event, in most unattractive and unsubtle bright red and white. I look a bit of a tool wearing it, but I don't care! :) One of these days I'll save up for a new one that's a bit more flattering!

Booboos

Visit site
Glad you weren't too badly hurt OP!

I try to wear mine all the time although I am finding that on warm days I do overheat with it on. I am quite used to it now though so I feel quite 'naked' without it!

Parker79

Visit site
I think is thread is brilliant.

It is awful to hear of so many nasty falls...but it isn't uncommon in the crazy world of horses! so its very good to hear of so many people who are wearing their BP's and have had experience of it lessening injuries.

Clearly...they cannot necessarily stop a broken spine and certainly not a neck injury what they do often appear to save ribs and bruising and they are that extra barrier....the thread about the girl being caught by her horses hoof has really made me think!

Thank you OP for starting this....I wear a BP these days for all riding activities and I am glad it is becoming more of the norm.

live2ride

Visit site
Always on mine but she is unpredictable and been known to throw herself about if she doesn't like something.
Just feel safer with it on, a fall onto tarmac would be painful

When I went on hacks with RS never

thatsmygirl

Visit site
I never use to wear one but after breaking my back in a fall on the road I always wear mine now plus soon a point 2 as well. Can't risk my back now at all so will do what I can to save it

chestnuttyy

Visit site
Thanks for all the great replies guys! My new BP arrived this morning so I shall be trying it out this eve.

May pop a little review up as there doesn't seem to be many write ups on the Woof BP, and it's currently half price so bIt of a bargain!

Minnies_Mum

Visit site
I always wear mine, I would hate to have a life changing injury from a fall and think "what if?". Obviously I can still sustain s life changing injury with it on, but I would at least know I'd done everything to protect myself. Some of my friends laugh at me for riding a safe as houses 24 year old cob in a bp, but as an older horse he is potentially more likely to trip or stumble, so I wear it. If anyone I ride with sees me without it, they always say "you're looking slim, have you lost weight?". Worth looking a bit chunkier though, in my opinion.

NeverSayNever

Visit site
yes i do, i always wear mine.

i do like fast and furious hacks and go for miles and miles into the middle of nowhere, its not like i follow a defined bridle path. 90% of the time Im riding out on my own and noone knows where i am. That said, I have a very safe wee horse and there are times , spec in the summer heat that Im tempted not to bother - however, I promised my husband I would always ride with one on. In return, he always wears a flotation device when fishing,wading or boat.... something he never used to do and having fished since a small boy, found it a bit 'namby-pamby'. I do hate wearing it for dressage, but he insists so i go along with it. its about minimising risk for me, Im confident going out and about myself but i don't just have myself to consider and having a new baby now makes this all the more pertinent.

i have a racesafe 2010 which i love and you can't tell when its on... i also have an airowear outline which is ask super comfy and i wore it while pregnant as its more adjustable and suited to a bigger chest lol

milz88

Visit site
Before I used to only wear mine for XC or XC schooling on my horse, its just what I did, what I was used to, and I felt confident enough to hack and sj him without one.

I now have a very new 4yo and I do alot of things I never did before, but I have grown up and realised I do need to be careful, I have a job to go to, to pay for the horses and if I can't go to work cos i'm injured, i'm more than a little screwed! So I lead her out in hand/lunge with hat and gloves, I have had her 2 weeks, I don't know her or what she will/might do.
And I will also ride and hack in a bp until I get to know her/her reactions etc and then I may school without one.

When I was trying horses I also wore one, as I rode a few ex racers and I am told its a rule to wear a bp while riding a racehorse.......so yes, I am certainly using my hat and bp more than ever have done.

BobbyMondeo

Visit site
I dont even own a BP let alone wear one.

Example of not always needing a BP even if you fall onto a hard surface. I fell off my horse twice on monday night once on grass and once on gravel/tarmac. both times i landed on my back and got straight up. No harm done...apart from my pride being dented.

I have also knocked 3 teeth loose when my old BP got caught on the saddle and whacked me in the chin when getting off.

I just dont feel a need for one, if i fall off and get really injured then it will be my fault and it is my choice as an adult not to wear one.

lillith

Visit site
I hate BPs even for jumping though I had to wear one for that at college. I find them restrictive - the ones I have tried offer no room for a lady to breathe :) and make me tense through my back, they are also often too long for my back and catch on the saddle as I am rather midget like in height though not in other ways. I hack for fun, to relax, to enjoy the sunshine, I wouldn't want to wear a body-cage/corset type thing for that. I genuinely fall off more in a BP because I am tense and uncomfortable so I can't sit things I can when I am not wearing one.

On the other hand it has been a few years since I have tried one and the technology may have come on in that time.

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Is it just me that injures limbs rather than trunk ? My last fall on concrete resulted in a broken toe, a tendon injury and swollen elbow/fingers.

My hat though has saved me from a couple of bad headaches on occasion, but otherwise my catalogue of injuries seem to exclude the torso.

ozpoz

Visit site
I don't wear one to hack. I have an arthritic spine (due to previous injury) and riding helps keep me flexible. I don't want to restrict the movement in any way.

I wouldn't judge anyone who does, or doesn't - everyone has their own reasons for doing whatever :)

My children only wore them for cross country, or riding youngsters.

Frances144

Visit site
Yup.

My spine is fused. No choice if I wanted to ride again with spinal surgeon's consent.

Yes, I am 40+ but when the NHS spent over £35,000 putting me back together I felt I sort of owed them abit.

I have the Point-Two and I love it. It feels comfortable and I wear it whenever I am on my horse.