Do you wear a body protector when out hacking?

BobbyMondeo

Visit site
I have the Point-Two and I love it. It feels comfortable and I wear it whenever I am on my horse.

I have an issue with these in that i wouldnt be able to jump off in an emergency without the bloody thing going off and having to buy more air canisters for it....ive saved myself from a lot of falls when my horse goes into a blind panic by jumping off and calming him down, with a point two i wouldnt be able to do that

Booboos

Visit site
Not many, I'd bet. If you compare the amount killed or severely injured to the amount that ride, I'm sure the percentage would be quite small. My children are more likely to be killed or injured whilst I'm driving them around in my current car - a tiny tin can.

No need to bet, the data is easily retreavable, see for example:

http://www.wisconsinmedicalsociety.org/_wms/publications/wmj/pdf/104/2/50.pdf

Which clearly states that based on a severity score horse related injuries in children are second only to pedestrian vs auto, and in ahead of other vehicle/bicycle accidents.

Even if these stats were not correct it's a pretty insane position on behalf of a parent to ignore a safety feature for one risky activity simply because there are also engaging in another risky activity.

TTK

Visit site
No, don't own one. Like another poster, even at my advanced age, I roll out of falls. You can't do that in a BP. It's my risk & I will assess it. Hi Viz to the max - yes. Quality hat - always. BP - no.

Littlelegs

Visit site
Funnily booboos, that article, unless I've missed it makes only one vague reference to body protectors, where it also says children should be suitably mounted & supervised. Does that mean all parents without professional experience and an expensive pony club pony are also irresponsible? And the article is mainly about hats, & injuries on the ground. No statistics whatsoever on that about body protectors preventing injury for children. My daughter wears one for some stuff, but certainly not regularly for hacking. Not because I have taken an 'insane parental position'as you have accused marydoll of doing. But because I think its important for my daughter to learn to fall, as per your article. It's easier to roll without imo, and I'd rather my child learnt how to roll, which does reduce all over injury, rather than thinking a back protector can be solely relied on to do so. I had enough falls as a child to do so, & if I'd always had a bp on I doubt I would have had the ability to get myself out of two falls I've had where an extra second would have seen me under the horse. Which no bp is going to prevent injury from. I have no objections if people choose to always wear them, but I object to the implied criticism from some posters about those who don't.

marmalade76

Visit site
No need to bet, the data is easily retreavable, see for example:

http://www.wisconsinmedicalsociety.org/_wms/publications/wmj/pdf/104/2/50.pdf

Which clearly states that based on a severity score horse related injuries in children are second only to pedestrian vs auto, and in ahead of other vehicle/bicycle accidents.

Even if these stats were not correct it's a pretty insane position on behalf of a parent to ignore a safety feature for one risky activity simply because there are also engaging in another risky activity.

So I'm a bad parent for allowing my children to ride without a BP. Better get on to the SS Booboos!

MileAMinute

Visit site
Example of not always needing a BP even if you fall onto a hard surface. I fell off my horse twice on monday night once on grass and once on gravel/tarmac. both times i landed on my back and got straight up. No harm done...apart from my pride being dented..

I don't think this is quite the case. I came off on a rubber based ménage (quite soft) on Saturday and have managed to fracture 2 (and possibly a 3rd) rib. I wasn't wearing a BP, I just fell awkwardly and put the brunt of the impact on my chest, it seems.

From now on, when jumping, I'll be wearing a BP.

To say that you didn't hurt yourself falling off twice on different surfaces, well done, your luck must have been in. Doesn't mean you'll be ok on the third one!

(I understand this is your choice, but just highlighting the other side in case some young/naive person comes across this thread)

kerrieberry2

Visit site
I do ALWAYS, my mum made me when I got my mare 11 yrs ago and I hated it, now I wouldnt ride without one. After a couple of yrs I feel off and she trampled on me, my ribs and leg, so had I not had one one, I would have had a few broken ribs at the least! so wouldn't even consider not wearing it now!

TheBayMonkey

Visit site
Never used to but my 6yo is very spooky and we go out a lot on our own where we have to go on the back lanes to get to any hack so am starting to get into the habit of hacking out in one. I wear one for jumping and xc too but not dressage which is what we mostly do. Would rather feel safe and look like one of those teenage mutant turtles!

Moomin1

Visit site
Yes I will definately be wearing my bp out hacking from now on. I have only just bought myself one, and I feel a lot safer with it on. I don't wear it schooling, although I wouldn't rule it out.

Of course it's entirely up to every individual what they want to do about their own safety. Personally I like to ensure my own safety as much as possible these days, and if it means spending extra money, or time on doing whatever it takes to ensure I'm that little bit safer then I will do so.:)

Mike007

Visit site
There is somthing that really worries me about some of the responses here. I refer to the people who wear a body protector (though not all of them). I have ridden horses all my life and when I get on a horse ,it bloodywell knows I am on top ,in every sense of the word. If it chooses to start a battle and try to sling me off ,well two can play at that game! If I hit the deck ,I am still an active participant ,upto and including the impact. I rather think that a lot of riders should put more effort into their "staying on ,and survival" skills. When you need a body protector out hacking ,it means your riding skills have failed ! Sorry if this is not what you want to hear..

rhino

Visit site
When you need a body protector out hacking ,it means your riding skills have failed ! Sorry if this is not what you want to hear..

Because it's not really true.. I know what you're trying to say, but accidents happen. The only time I've been glad of wearing a body protector out hacking was when some idiot wasn't looking where she was going and drove straight into us. Absolutely nothing I could have done, or done differently..

Would you make the same statement regarding hats - that if you need one you have somehow failed as a rider?

Moomin1

Visit site
There is somthing that really worries me about some of the responses here. I refer to the people who wear a body protector (though not all of them). I have ridden horses all my life and when I get on a horse ,it bloodywell knows I am on top ,in every sense of the word. If it chooses to start a battle and try to sling me off ,well two can play at that game! If I hit the deck ,I am still an active participant ,upto and including the impact. I rather think that a lot of riders should put more effort into their "staying on ,and survival" skills. When you need a body protector out hacking ,it means your riding skills have failed ! Sorry if this is not what you want to hear..

Oh wow you must be an amazing rider!!!

Are you for real?!!!

Mike007

Visit site
Didnt think people would get my point. Yes ,I wear a body protector when I think the risks warrant it but my experience is that a lot of riders are "victims" rather than active participants.Too much store is put in the imagined safety of these jackets. Land wrongly and you will still break your back even wearing a protector.

Moomin1

Visit site
Didnt think people would get my point. Yes ,I wear a body protector when I think the risks warrant it but my experience is that a lot of riders are "victims" rather than active participants.Too much store is put in the imagined safety of these jackets. Land wrongly and you will still break your back even wearing a protector.

I don't think any of us on here are thick enough not to realise that.

The post you made implied that if you were in fact a good rider then you didn't need to wear one hacking because you should be good enough never to fall off.

Very stupid.

Mike007

Visit site
With regard to Rhinos question regarding hats. If you consider the good old "risk assesment "chart . Hats are in an entirely different league,in that the risk of hitting ones head is high ,and the risk of it being serious is very high.The effectiveness of a body protector lies in its ability to disperse the energy of a "point "impact(eg a hoof strike or colision with a fixed object). In almost all cases the worst result of not wearing one is that a few bones might get broken or some serious bruising. It is debatable whether ,in the remaining ,worst case scenarios,that any form of BP would have any effect.

Moomin1

Visit site
With regard to Rhinos question regarding hats. If you consider the good old "risk assesment "chart . Hats are in an entirely different league,in that the risk of hitting ones head is high ,and the risk of it being serious is very high.The effectiveness of a body protector lies in its ability to disperse the energy of a "point "impact(eg a hoof strike or colision with a fixed object). In almost all cases the worst result of not wearing one is that a few bones might get broken or some serious bruising. It is debatable whether ,in the remaining ,worst case scenarios,that any form of BP would have any effect.

It's your body - take the risks you want!

If you don't mind having broken bones and a chipped spine etc etc then fine! Personally the view I take is that anybody who doesn't take the utmost safety precautions when doing high risk sports are a drain and waste on the NHS.

Mike007

Visit site
I don't think any of us on here are thick enough not to realise that.

The post you made implied that if you were in fact a good rider then you didn't need to wear one hacking because you should be good enough never to fall off.

Very stupid.

Still missed the point,! Of course I get slung off occasionaly, but I am well aware that a BP, while it might possibly save a few bruises, is unlikely to have any major effect in preventing a serious accident while hacking. It is not what they were designed to do!

C.C.T

Visit site
I only wear a back protector when I'm doing cross country or backing a youngster or 'dangerous' horse. I don't like them that much as I feel as though they restrict my movement

rhino

Visit site
Quite, and looking at a cost benefit analysis would show a potentially significant benefit (yes, not in terms of life or death the same as hats but how many people can afford to take time off work with serious bruising or minor fractures?) for very little cost, other than the original outlay, and possibly being a bit sweaty or feeling slightly inhibited.

Moomin1

Visit site
Still missed the point,! Of course I get slung off occasionaly, but I am well aware that a BP, while it might possibly save a few bruises, is unlikely to have any major effect in preventing a serious accident while hacking. It is not what they were designed to do!

So you don't have any chance of falling on an object out hacking? Like a rock, car, fence, log etc etc?! Personally I think you have a higher risk out hacking.

Your first post was nothing to that effect anyway - you said that if you need a bp out hacking then your riding has seriously failed. That is implying that you shouldn't be falling off out hacking unless you are a poor rider!!

Mike007

Visit site
If you need a body protector ,then you have almost certainly been chucked off, so yes , your riding skills have failed . As for how you land ,even this remains to some extent in the riders control.

Moomin1

Visit site
If you need a body protector ,then you have almost certainly been chucked off, so yes , your riding skills have failed . As for how you land ,even this remains to some extent in the riders control.

No amount of 'expert fantastic' riding can stop you falling off if gravity and centre of balance combine. Plus - no amount of wonderful riding can stop a car flying around a corner - knocking you and your horse causing you to fall heavily on an object.

As I said, up to you if you want to take the risk and be a drain on the NHS when precautions could have been taken.

Cobrastyle who posted earlier, has three broken ribs from falling in rubber/sand arena over a small one-two foot jump. Who could have foretold that one? And no she didn't fall on the jump - she landed on the surface of the arena.

Mike007

Visit site
so if you land on the surface of an arena and break 3 ribs, frankly you are still going to break them in a BP.

Moomin1

Visit site
so if you land on the surface of an arena and break 3 ribs, frankly you are still going to break them in a BP.

How do you work that out from limited information? Cobrastyle may have landed with her arm underneath her - or her ribs may have hit the floor first - which may well have been cushioned and protected by a bp. She may well have recieved a knock from the horse's hoof.

Unless you are some sort of dr or surgeon who is completely knowledgeable about these sort of injuries you are not qualified to make such assumptions as to whether a bp would be of any use or not in every eventuality.

zaminda

Visit site
At work always, they are compulsory, on my own horses, sometimes, the anglo always one arab generally the other rarely, if its cold always!
I should wear it all the time, having had a rotational fall caused by horse putting foot in a soft spot, and nearly killing me, but for some reason I don't (think the brains are a bit fried). My ex always does, and finds he rides with more confidence, and is much less likely to come off. His horses are all quite sharp too. (he kept the anglo)

Booboos

Visit site
Funnily booboos, that article, unless I've missed it makes only one vague reference to body protectors, where it also says children should be suitably mounted & supervised. Does that mean all parents without professional experience and an expensive pony club pony are also irresponsible? And the article is mainly about hats, & injuries on the ground. No statistics whatsoever on that about body protectors preventing injury for children. My daughter wears one for some stuff, but certainly not regularly for hacking. Not because I have taken an 'insane parental position'as you have accused marydoll of doing. But because I think its important for my daughter to learn to fall, as per your article. It's easier to roll without imo, and I'd rather my child learnt how to roll, which does reduce all over injury, rather than thinking a back protector can be solely relied on to do so. I had enough falls as a child to do so, & if I'd always had a bp on I doubt I would have had the ability to get myself out of two falls I've had where an extra second would have seen me under the horse. Which no bp is going to prevent injury from. I have no objections if people choose to always wear them, but I object to the implied criticism from some posters about those who don't.

The article went to disproving marydoll's bet that not many kids are killed/injured riding which appears to be grossly factually incorrect. There are numerous similar articles, a Google Scholar search easily reveals them, so anyone who thinks that riding is a low or no risk sport is kidding themselves.

The 'insane parental position' referred to her/his argument that as s/he puts her/his kids in an old, less safe car s/he might as well let them ride with fewer safety measures. Your argument seems to be that a BP prevents a child from learning to roll therefore you avoid using one at all times, whereas hers/his is that as her/his children are exposed to some risks they might as well be exposed to other risks. You may agree on your conclusion but your reasoning is different. His/hers is entirely invalid, as according to that school of thought we might as well send these kids into a leaking nuclear factory, yet another risk they can take on! Your argument depends on the truth of the claim that riders with BPs on cannot roll/cannot learn to roll. I am not sure I agree with that, especially with current flexible BPs, but if you have seen studies to that effect it would be interesting to see the links.