does this annoy anyone else

RunToEarth

Visit site
Lol know just the sort! Usually wearing boots and chaps and a 'moody mare' hoody, often sporting riding hat and carrying whip..

My favourite was a grown woman at Burghley a couple of years ago in cream johds and long boots. Was she hoping Pippa F would flop off and she could take the ride?!

undergroundoli

Visit site
What you are really saying is that poor people shouldn't be allowed to enjoy the beauty of a horse moving.

My flatmate really enjoys watching the racing and seeing the horses gallop. He'd like to try riding, but I know how much our rent is and how many hours he works his minimum wage job and I deduce he can't really afford to pay £30 for a 45 minute lesson at our local riding school.

Terrible hes sitting their just wanting the pretty white one to win, not knowing about conformation, or training, or timing sprints. Who does he think he is? Come to that who do I think I am, never having raced in my life and just making up a load of jargon?

assandun

Visit site
I am exactly the sort of person the op is referring to and it saddens me that people feel like this. I have never learnt to ride due to lack of funds, time and illness but would love to one day.

I watch burghley, badminton etc and went to olympia for the first time last year, which was the highlight of my year. All of my knowledge comes from reading on here, copious amounts of horse books and watching the big events. Why shouldn't I be there, just because I have never ridden doesn't mean I am not passionate as others!

Suec04

Visit site
I 'dragged' my non-horsey sister with me to Olympia this year and she thoroughly enjoyed it! she's never ridden in her life and has no urge to either, however, she loves watching horses move and crows at how beautiful and powerful they are (though she will admit to not getting stressage at all! lol)

I have also been on the other side of the scale whereby, because I ride, have owned horses and worked in tb studs, then I MUST know everything there is to know about horse racing!!! I was a stud groom ffs, who mucked out 30 stables a day and washed foals bums! I know nothing about breeding or whether one tb stallion is better than another! but because I have some knowledge then my non-horsey family and friends think I know everything! if only.... :D

Spilletta

Visit site
Surely this has to be a joke?!?

I'd say so!

Does anyone remember the ‘Do you like horse racing?’ thread started by =daisy? She stated her friend has been told she shouldn’t go racing if she doesn’t ride. I wonder if poppy_q is the one who told her that as it does seem to be a very odd view.

(Can you tell I am bored with work as the moment, hence the little bit of digging! It was just bugging me that I recalled another thread alluding to the idea that you can't watch something if you haven't experienced it.)

undergroundoli

Visit site
I am exactly the sort of person the op is referring to and it saddens me that people feel like this. I have never learnt to ride due to lack of funds, time and illness but would love to one day.

No one with an opinion worth listening to would agree with the OP. Glad you enjoyed Olympia

minnierosie

Visit site
It doesn't annoy me. This may sound odd but I absolutely love Rugby. I watch it but don't really play it. Same with tennis, football and cricket.

Lots of people go to 3 day events just for the shopping and sales.

Try to ignore them or think of the positive.

BethanT

Visit site
it really annoys me when people who have never even sat on a horse before go to horse shows like Olympia

or when they go horse racing!

why do they go they have never ridden a horse they have no idea so why go ?

is it just me that really gets annoyed?

No it doesn't annoy me. I think if people who don't ride can have appriciation for the sport then brilliant.

However, what does annoy me, are the people who watch the sport and claim for it to be easy or not a sport at all. Then they need to get on a horse and see what it is like.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
If that annoys you, OP, come on and share the rest of your 'what annoys me' list.

Perhaps having a bedtime at 9 O'clock is one of them.

Tiffany

Visit site
Why would it annoy you and how do you know they have never sat on a horse. I agree with others, you don't have to participate in the sport to enjoy it.

Shantara

Visit site
If we only went to events we participated in, it wouldn't be very fun!

I LOVE Kung Fu, but I can't do it myself.

I like watching my brother Karting and I like F1, but I just drive a normal car and hated it when I had a session Karting!

EffyCorsten

Visit site
Troll....

No how stupid and ignorant could you be. I know a huge amount of people who don't ride at all but love equestrian sport!

ugh I don't even know why I'm replying to this..

RunToEarth those people are hilarious I love the whole 'well I've just popped out from the yard to check out Olympia of course'

Daytona

Visit site
Eh how strange...???

No why would is bother you..??

I love watching gymnastics yet I'm like a stiff old board and could not attempt gymnastics even if I wanted too..