Does your oh get it

atlantis

equinetouchjo.wordpress.com
The horse obsession that is? Mine doesn't and it makes me a bit sad. It would make life so much easier and I'd love to share my lifestyle with him. But he doesn't get it at all. He just tollerated it i think.

Do you have horsey other halves or not?

StoptheCavalry

Visit site
Erm no not at all, not even a little bit. He can't understand the cost or the obsessive behaviour that comes with owning a horse. My horse has become my pet, he can not be replaced and will have a home for life with me but I have lost count of the times I get told he's "Just a horse". In fairness Zak doesn't help himself when my oh did show even the slightest bit of interest and brought him in from the field Zak head butted him straight in the face so clearly the feeling is mutual!! In many ways I don't want my oh to be horsey, that is my escape as his bikes are his but I would like him to be a little more understanding and respectful of my hobby.

kerrieberry2

Visit site
The horse obsession that is? Mine doesn't and it makes me a bit sad. It would make life so much easier and I'd love to share my lifestyle with him. But he doesn't get it at all. He just tollerated it i think.

Do you have horsey other halves or not?

my ex didn't get it but was very supportive, encourage me to get a 2nd horse and when it snowed a couple of winters back, he stayed at the yard for 5 hours after I left and cleared the field of muck! couldn't have asked for more haha! but wouldn't want a horsey other half, the horse are my time :)

SadKen

Visit site
Mine doesn't understand but in a different way. I've reached the very difficult decision to sell my boy as I'm not a good enough rider, and my OH said first that he wouldn't speak to me again, then that I would have to move out, then that my lad would go for meat. He says I shouldn't have horses, because I'm not a horsey person. Cuts deep! Other than that he's been very supportive.

ThreeTB's

Visit site
Mine had a horse when I met him, we now have 3 and I love being able to share it all - and don't have to hide the cost of anything from him, in fact if I buy one of mine a new rug or something, he'll say 'order one for my horse too' :) It also enables us to actually spend time with each other - I know my non-horsey ex would never have put up with the amount of time I spend with the horses (or money come to that!)

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
no, unless the horse is served as a burger :eek:
He is a vehicle lover though, and so is similarly obsessive and there is some mutual understanding in that.
I did drag him to the sales once though and he took quite a shine to hairy cob - he said he liked it because it had hairy feet, was 'splodgy' (colouring), and looked happy, and that, he claimed, was what a horse was supposed to look like.

TrasaM

Visit site
No, OH has no interest in horses apart from the ones who run fast and you place bets on. Not only that but no one in my family have any interest in horses. Yes, they are polite and ask about my lessons and how it's going but they soon switch off if I go on for too long :(

atlantis

Yeah I could just do with a bit of respect for it I suppose. I have tomlisten to hours of talk about cycling (and the tour de france - itll be nice to have something different on the telly although well done Chris froome).

SadKen that's a strange reaction I have to say. Have you got him to explain. My oh was devastated when we had to sell my old boy, which was down to money. I think he felt guilty and that he should be able to earn enough to support my hobby (money wouldn't be a problem if we didn't have a child). He was great with my horse but he did feel that he didn't like him, which was probably true cos horsey used to get jealous lol.

IDK I'm just moaning I suppose.

Antw23uk

Visit site
Mine doesn't understand but in a different way. I've reached the very difficult decision to sell my boy as I'm not a good enough rider, and my OH said first that he wouldn't speak to me again, then that I would have to move out, then that my lad would go for meat. He says I shouldn't have horses, because I'm not a horsey person. Cuts deep! Other than that he's been very supportive.

Seriously? Your OH is an arss mate!

My partner doesn't really get it although since buying a horse that doesn't scare him or try and kick him in the head whilst trying to take his throat out (I kid you not!!) he is better about it. The strain is the amount of time I am spending down the yard and if you are not 'orsey then you cant understand it. He thinks I should go down, muck out, haynet, water, ride, feed and come home ...I try to explain its not just abut the 'doing' its about spending time with them, chatting to horsey friends etc
We have a busy social life and now everything revolves around the horse, I can see the frustration but I personally make it work. Having a sharer really brought him on board and Tuesday nights are date night where I actually cook or we go out and do 'normal' things. I guess gradually I will work towards two nights a week maybe or a week night and weekend day? :confused: just to ease it a little more!

Its workable but for me its bloody hard work keeping the house in order, full time work, the horse hobby, socializing AND being the partner :eek:

Rhodders

Visit site
my husband is not horsey at all, but he does all the care in the winter because I work all the daylight hours and he's retired. I tried to sell one of my horses earlier this year and couldn't go through with it when someone wanted to come and view him, he phoned them up and told them not to come. I do feel for him because 4 horses eat your money but he just says we'll find a way and plods on, I'm really lucky

atlantis

TrasaM something else we have in common. No one in my family wants anything to do with horses. Mind you they all live miles away (Canada, USA and Wales) and are a bit strange anyway so I don't see them all that much. They don't bring it up when I see them either. Actually that's not true my step mum does a little. She shows some interest every now and then at least. Barely see them though.

Grinchmass

Visit site
Oh not horsey- he doesn't get it, the cost of the hobby he finds staggering, but my business, his main bug bear is the time. Especially in winter! He's ok so long as he isn't expected to help on a daily basis :)

I'm in the process of buying a youngster, at first he thought I was a fool (he may be right) but he's been won over by his name I think. Strange fellow my oh is...

Wouldn't want oh to be too interested, horses are my escape, and my 'me' time.

SadKen

Visit site
Haha yeah that was a special moment! He's just a bit sensitive is all, he gets upset watching me get upset, and as I've been through a lot with my lad and oh likes him I think he just thought he could menace me out of the decision. He's all right really, just thinks of them as dogs and you don't sell a dog when it's not going well! It's funny really, as I'm used to dealing with highly reactive, sensitive souls and getting a good tune out of them as I've managed him for 14 years, but can't translate that to my horse

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
OH is not horsey, but does get it and is totally supportive.He has his own hobby we make time for each other too. He was very upset when I had my horse PTS in March, says they are family.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Mine rode briefly as a child and was then put off by an ex who used him as a personal groom, leaving him to muck out and sweep whilst she rode etc. and then having a go at him when he did things wrong.

Fortunately we've had 3 and a bit years before a horse has come into the equation and I've been amazed by his interest. He loves grooming and bringing the horse in (if only he could learn how to tie up correctly!), willingly offers to look after him when I'm away with work and has been talked into going for a ride with the YO's hubby next week.

I love that he's so interested but equally wouldn't stress if he decided horses aren't for him, afterall they are my "me" time.

sharonmaskell

Visit site
My husband never could understand when I had ponies about 30 years ago. Two years ago he bought Bob for me, a 17.1 ex racer, and now he totally gets it! He comes to the yard every night with me, and he says that Bob totally de-stresses him. he loves him to bits, and I must admit it makes horse ownership even more rewarding. I am so lucky, he does not mind paying out for anything he needs.

Tobiano

Visit site
some marvellous stories here of brilliant OHs! I am very envious of those whose OHs are more horsy than they are... but I wouldnt swap my earthbound OH for anyone. He likes one of my horses, but thinks one of them should be made into glue and isnt sure about the other one. But luckily, as we are not married, none of this is his decision! I wanted to marry him for ages but when I bought my foal I realised it wasnt a good idea to get married as that would give him right of veto! So we are just BF and GF (at a combined age of 108 that is really ridiculous but there you go!)

Brontie

Visit site
Single at the moment but wouldn't want the OH to get it. Sure, itd be handy if they could give me a hand if I ever got stuck but riding's my thing and I like it as my own time.

babymare

Visit site
It was my passion for horses that drew us together not because my lovely guy is horsey but because his passion is cars and sailing that i have learnt to love so he understands and never puts any pressure on me and understands my love for my mare :)

FubsyMog

Visit site
Mine was fairly terrified of horses when we met, having been bitten quite badly as a child on holiday - and he just had his first riding lesson on Saturday! He has really come a long way and is happy to come to spectate at shows with me. He even drove the 100-odd miles to Tattersall's a few weeks back and he loved it. He has actually become quite knowledgable. I think the turning point was when we saw miniature horses at an agricultural show a few years ago - these caused a lot of excitement for him because "they're the wrong size!". He is very fond of small ponies and has a bit of a hankering for a pair of Welsh A's or similar to drive and show inhand in the future (I think he likes the outfits - he already has a fine selection of checked shirts and a flat cap!)

Doug

Visit site
I was not horsey at all, until I met my partner.

I did make it known that I wouldn't ever be sitting on one or doing horsey chores.

3 years down the road I have spent far too much on riding lessons and now have a TB so I can go out and spend time with her and we can work together when she events etc

Surely it is normal to share in your partners hobbies? It would be a bit boring if you tried to spend as much time apart from one another as possible :D

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
My husband doesn't really like the horses but his sister who is eight years younger than him and his mum were into horses in a big way so he already had first hand experience of the commitment horses took before I met him. He thinks I pamper mine to much but saying that I now have three miniatures and he loves them because he says they are more like dogs than horses. He often lets them onto the lawn because he likes to see them and make a fuss of them.

Dave282B

Visit site
Yup !
She introduced me to horses when we met and her grandfather taught me to ride . Stopped when daughter was 2 to become a pony club dad. Daughter now 17 and lost interest so wife and I ride out most days.
We both know we would be quite well off without horses , but we don't care :)

tabithakat64

Visit site
OH has made a real effort, he's learning to ride and wants to be able to hack out with me. He understands my two are my pets and is really supportive in everyway. It does help that my two already adore him.

SpottyTB

Visit site
Yes he does - he's a farrier! He will also quite often come up to the school and help me with my jumping - which is good fun, but usually ends in me getting stroppy and hopping off and telling him to do it (he's 6'5 and she's 15.1) - he usually declines ;).

He is handy with the mucking out mind :D oh and you know.. the shoeing/trimming side of things ;)