Don't forget to watch Countryfile tonight - Horses and Cars

Runaground

Visit site
Just watched the first part. So far so good, but, I hope they make the point that we are on the roads because we have no other option not because we have a death wish! Drivers really don't get that bit.

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
I ended up watching the piece accidentally. It was fine and made some good points, but seemed to stop without any proper conclusion and fizzled out.

forelegs

Visit site
Wasn't sure about the lady featured saying we shouldn't ride two abreast...I had always been taught that was the safest way! Thoughts?

TheSylv007

www.ridewelland.co.uk
I don't know about anyone else but the emphasis seemed to be on riders being polite to nice drivers rather than hammering home that drivers also need to slow down. Bit disappointed that it wasn't harder hitting.

Achinghips

Visit site
What a shame they ended it with the question should horses be banned from the roads. Absolutely no coverage of the fact that bridleways are being removed.

Sandstone1

Visit site
Why was that woman on it! Don't ride two abreast! Think that bit ruined what was a good piece. Also it's easy to say should horse riders be banned but no mention of where we should ride.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Just watched the first part. So far so good, but, I hope they make the point that we are on the roads because we have no other option not because we have a death wish! Drivers really don't get that bit.

Sadly they did not point this out.

Here in Northern Ireland we do not have ANY bridleways. We have some off road riding in forest parks (usually on the basis of a paid permit) and some beaches, with restrictions. Otherwise we have no choice but to be on the roads.

Our previously good off road riding has recently been taken over by the National Trust, who have put in place loads of restrictions for riders, including restricted access times, and along with the paid permit now charge for entrance to the parking area (unless you take out NT membership).

They are forcing us back onto the roads.

Micky

Visit site
And the fact that nothing was said about how you generally have to use the road to get to bridleways nowadays..so it can be tricky to not use the highways..plus being considerate to each other on the road, what about those car drivers who just don't see riders/deliberately drive faster or blow their horns etc? And those riders who also don't say thanks...

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
Ok, I've seen the rest now (thanks). I think the piece reinforced any opinion you might have held before so I'm not sure whether it did any good educating drivers or riders.

ROG

Visit site
Why was that woman on it! Don't ride two abreast! Think that bit ruined what was a good piece.
As a non horsey driver who teaches advanced driving I agree

I can also use common sense as to why they do rise 2 abreast - they put the more confident horse on the outside to protect the less confident on the inside as well as stopping two cars going in opposite directions squeezing past single file horse(s)

Am I correct ?

Sandstone1

Visit site

I can also use common sense as to why they do rise 2 abreast - they put the more confident horse on the outside to protect the less confident on the inside as well as stopping two cars going in opposite directions squeezing past single file horse(s)

Am I correct ?

Yes you are correct. It's not something that should always be done but there are certainly times when it's the best and safest thing to do.

be positive

Visit site

Am I correct ?

That is the theory, riding two abreast also makes you more visible to traffic and drivers less likely to continue driving at speed, on narrow lanes we drop into single file once the driver has seen us and slowed down so we are not delaying their progress any more than required by slowing to pass safely.

HashRouge

Visit site
Also it's easy to say should horse riders be banned but no mention of where we should ride.
That annoyed me too. I'm sure many riders would happily be banned from the roads if alternative off-road routes were provided at the same time. I'm sure a lot of drivers think horse riders go on the roads to annoy them!

I'm so lucky with where my share horse is kept, the hacking is amazing. I just don't know if I could go back to riding on main roads again.

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
I wasn't happy with the piece, no mention of how horses are supposed to get to bridlepaths (if there are any) other than to use the roads as well as that old chestnut some drivers throw at you "I pay my toad tax , you don't pay any" they could have explained it is a emissions charge and not a road tax as such, it would help stop people using that as an excuse to drive exactly as they like around horses.
They should have used some of the footage of really bad driving too where people deliberately try to spook the horses, it might hit home then what riders have to put up with out there.
If you feel as I do write to them and let them know, I am countryfile@bbc.co.uk

Oz

Last edited:

ROG

Visit site
That is the theory, riding two abreast also makes you more visible to traffic and drivers less likely to continue driving at speed, on narrow lanes we drop into single file once the driver has seen us and slowed down so we are not delaying their progress any more than required by slowing to pass safely.

My comment was meant for standard single carriageway roads and not tight country lanes where single file would be better as it would be impossible to fit two cars and a horse across

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
We sometimes ride 2 abreast on a fast 2 lane country lane as you get a bit more respect then, I mean they actually remove their foot from the pedal and sail past at a little over 40. Otherwise I give way all the time, trot on up blind summits etc so people aren't kept waiting

Sandstone1

Visit site
I wasn't happy with the piece, no mention of how horses are supposed to get to bridlepaths (if there are any) other than to use the roads as well as that old chestnut some drivers throw at you "I pay my toad tax , you don't pay any" they could have explained it is a emissions charge and not a road tax as such, it would help stop people using that as an excuse to drive exactly as they like around horses.
They should have used some of the footage of really bad driving too where people deliberately try to spook the horses, it might hit home then what riders have to put up with out there.
If you feel as I do write to them and let them know, I am countryfile@bbc.co.uk

Oz

I've emailed them and pointed out the important points that they didn't mention. Maybe if enough people do this they might do anther piece about it in the future.