Don't you just love your horse?

Green Bean

Visit site
A bit mushy, but am I the only one that just loves their horse? My mare and I have been together for a year now. She is as quirky as they come, but I really believe she loves me. We just 'get' each other. She knows just how to push my buttons, she and I have gone from 'what was I thinking' after buying her to being amazed at how she knows just what I am looking for. She pats me down to find her treats, knickers for all the world to hear when she sees me, even when I have just nipped into the tack room to fetch something. She puts on her 'not amused' face when she sees me with a saddle coming towards her, but forgives all when I drop the reins as our 'sign' work has stopped. Arrgghhhh, I love my mare...

HiPo'sHuman

Visit site
Me! I’ve had a fair few ponies in my time but this one is perfect, everything I’ve ever wanted and more. He’s so kind and genuine, just a really lovely character. I’ve had him since he was five (now 7) and I will never part with him, he’s my best friend. My heart melts just thinking about him, he’s the best! I can’t imagine getting another when I lose him, nothing could possibly compare.

JFTDWS

Visit site
All three of mine are perfect - in very different ways :D Carrot's charming and sweet and is always happy to see me and wants to come out and play - half the time she'll come back to see if she can come out again when I go to get the second ride from the field, despite having only just been put back out. Fergus is a prize twit, he just knows when to be a bouncy silly idiot, and when to be completely perfect and look after people. He never complains about any silly thing I ask him to do - I started doing archery with him bareback purely because I forgot his saddle that day and didn't want to wait... He's that sweet :D And Dae's the resident comedian - jolly and cheery to hack and jump, but totally safe and trustworthy with it. They're always keen to work and happy to get out and about, and they're all charming people-ponies. It's very endearing!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Oh yes. My four year old appyx is the most awesome horse to ride, and a real sweetheart to look after, but I'm afraid my far less physically talented ex racer (who never raced) has stolen my heart a little bit. He's changed so much since I got him, looks twice the horse, moves better and better each week and seems somehow grateful to have the life he has with me. I find pure thoroubreds to be among the most beautiful horses, and dark brown ones the best of the best! I could stroke his silky coat all day 💕💖😍💘

fabbydo

Visit site
I love them both but my mare is so special to me. I cannot put into words how much I love her. I know she won't be around much longer. I'm not sure she'll cope with winter. Everything is planned for 'the day' and I've done it many times before but I cannot imagine being without her. I am incredibly lucky to have her. We've had many unforgettable adventures together. I've never had a horse try so hard for me. I hope she has enjoyed her well deserved retirement.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Mine is an absolute angel, I have to say. He protects me from other horses in the field, they're not allowed near me. He shouts when he hears the car or my footsteps, he canters up the field when he sees me, having ignored others trying to catch him in. He takes the piss out of others and pushes past them to get out of his stable but never does that with me. My OH calls him my 'big dog'.

silv

Visit site
I absolutely adore my mare, she is my best friend. She came along when life was very bleak for me having been recently widowed, then loosing my horse of a lifetime all within 3 months. She always does her very best for me and thrives on praise, I honestly don't think she has ever put a hoof wrong. She is so affectionate too and loves her treats especially licquorice! She's always pleased to see me and will turn her hoof to anything. I cannot imagine life without her.

Attachments

• whimsy licquoric (2).JPG
    whimsy licquoric (2).JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 17

albeg

Visit site
Mine is an eejit, but he's my eejit, and he's perfect. He can be a spooky twit, but he's a machine xc, fantastic to hack, he knows when he's needed to be the sensible one and when he can be an eejit. There's so much to love about him, and he has the most perfect little squishy top lip that he scrunches when he's really happy or excited.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
They are all perfect in their varied ways 🥰
Pink Welsh Kira is endlessly cwtchy and just remarkable
Salty Peculiar is a gloriously weird soul who is everyone's bestie
Millie is royalty
Even standoffish Twiglet came and rested her head on my shoulder this eve, just to pass the time of day.
Newbie Darcy is starting to show his character bit by bit. He's just a bit of a lost soul at the moment. I love it when they let you into their heads.

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
A bit mushy, but am I the only one that just loves their horse? My mare and I have been together for a year now. She is as quirky as they come, but I really believe she loves me. We just 'get' each other. She knows just how to push my buttons, she and I have gone from 'what was I thinking' after buying her to being amazed at how she knows just what I am looking for. She pats me down to find her treats, knickers for all the world to hear when she sees me, even when I have just nipped into the tack room to fetch something. She puts on her 'not amused' face when she sees me with a saddle coming towards her, but forgives all when I drop the reins as our 'sign' work has stopped. Arrgghhhh, I love my mare...

I could have written this nearly word for word 🙃

Fransurrey

Visit site
Absolutely adore both of them. I've only had my gelding since end of Feb, but we've really bonded. He fell asleep with his nose on my shoulder, today. Makes my heart melt. He follows me to the gate when I leave and stands there looking soppy. I feel terrible having to go home!! My mare and I have had a chequered past, but this is due to my frustration at her nerves. Since retiring her I've got my sweet pony back and she comed over to say hello and mutual groom me. Both have been fantastic therapy this year, especially when I had my 27 yo pts.

Bob notacob

Visit site
Absolutely adore both of them. I've only had my gelding since end of Feb, but we've really bonded. He fell asleep with his nose on my shoulder, today. Makes my heart melt. He follows me to the gate when I leave and stands there looking soppy. I feel terrible having to go home!! My mare and I have had a chequered past, but this is due to my frustration at her nerves. Since retiring her I've got my sweet pony back and she comed over to say hello and mutual groom me. Both have been fantastic therapy this year, especially when I had my 27 yo pts.
27 years is a great age ,but its always hard to say good bye . The hurt does lessen , but it never goes away .Thats what tells us we are alive.

Mule

Visit site
Mine makes me laugh. He has some strange habits. He can be very mulish both in behaviour and facial expression (hence my username). Multiple instructors have commented on his (lack) of work ethic:oops:
I don't mind though because I find him hilarious. He's not the affectionate type but he's fun. He also has cool mule ears:D

He was born in a rescue centre and orphaned quite young. I keep the staff there up to date with what he's up to. It means a lot to them, especially to the people that bottle fed him.

Last edited:

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
We all need a mushy pony appreciation thread every so often lol. My welshy is a very cheeky character, tries it on, can be quite bratty & a diva but I love him to bits, he's mine & I wouldn't have him any other way. He can go from on the buckle plod one day to being as sharp as a knife the next but keeps me on my toes & makes sure I dont take good behaviour for granted! haha I'd always wanted a horse ever since that first riding lesson at 5, so lots of saving pub wages at 16 he's THAT horse so will always be my horse of a lifetime. I just love their characters! My youngster on the other hand is just super chilled & doesn't care about anything which is a welcome change sometimes lol!

cblover

Visit site
I’ve had my horse of a lifetime and lost her 4 years ago. I could still cry at the drop of a hat and think of her always. I truly loved her, respected her and had so much admiration for her. Then spent time trying to replace her....wrong thing to do! She could never be replaced and I know that now. I’ve treat all my horses with respect and handled them kindly but it wasn’t until Scrappy came into my life that I had anywhere near the same feelings again.

Scrappy has taught me to listen more and act less, to slow things down, enjoy the moment and take the pressure off. She’s regal, kind, soft but with a sassy edge that demands a bit of respect. I love that in her and she makes a better person in all areas of my life. Horses truly are the best therapy.

Pippity

Visit site
She's a very stoic sort who doesn't show much, so when she turns round and gives me that soft-eyed look, it means the world. When I got her, she didn't have much of a personality and had no idea that interacting with humans could be fun. It's been lovely to watch her come out of her shell over the past nine months, and blossom into a cheeky little thug who frequently needs to be reminded of her manners! But she's done so much for my confidence, and I love her to bits. She might not be a glamorous wee beastie, but she's exactly the horse I dreamed of as a kid. (Well, the dream horse was chestnut or blood bay. But other than that...)

AUB

Visit site
I absolutely do! I've had a few horses as an adult, but not since my first pony when I was 12 have I felt as I feel for my mare. It's pure pony love! <3

Sasana Skye

Visit site
Good grief yes, how could I not!?

Osi is the most cuddly-friendly-want-to-be-with-you-people-person type horse I’ve met. She will leave the herd and come bolting to me when I arrive at the gate and hang around for scratches and cuddles all day long. And she has a smushy nose that I just adore 🥰

But as much as I love Osi, Brieze is the special one. Partly I guess because we’ve been together 10 years. Brieze makes you work harder for her affections. She’s no oil painting what with her melanomas and sweet itch but she is perfect. She’s the horse that made me go from a preference to geldings to “I’ll only ever have a mare”. She taught me so much and I genuinely believe she’s made me a better person. I trust her with my life because she trusts me with hers. I defy anybody to tell me that is not love and that is not friendship.DF91A1A7-80CE-41F0-89A5-44A85B9B188C.jpeg98487D62-DF8D-4F94-AFB8-A06CC7B6B4A6.jpeg

Nayumi1

Visit site
Absolutely love my mare! I've had her a year and we've been through issues of misfitted saddles (on my 3rd saddle fitter) and grade 3 ulcers. Now we are on the other side and she's just amazing. Loves attention, extremely intelligent and just an all-round sweet heart! I also think shes super pretty.....but I am bias haha!

Attachments

• 20190731_190027.jpg
    20190731_190027.jpg
    328 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20190802_224413_164.jpg
    IMG_20190802_224413_164.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 20190630_210125.jpg
    20190630_210125.jpg
    586.9 KB · Views: 6

FinnBobs

Visit site
I completely adore my overgrown pony and I would do anything for him. I waited years and years to be able to own so I know how lucky I am. We have had some trials and tribulations but he has taught me so much.

Fransurrey

Visit site
I’ve had my horse of a lifetime and lost her 4 years ago. I could still cry at the drop of a hat and think of her always. I truly loved her, respected her and had so much admiration for her. Then spent time trying to replace her....wrong thing to do! She could never be replaced and I know that now. I’ve treat all my horses with respect and handled them kindly but it wasn’t until Scrappy came into my life that I had anywhere near the same feelings again.

Scrappy has taught me to listen more and act less, to slow things down, enjoy the moment and take the pressure off. She’s regal, kind, soft but with a sassy edge that demands a bit of respect. I love that in her and she makes a better person in all areas of my life. Horses truly are the best therapy.
Awww, Henry was my horse of a lifetime, too. Exceedingly clever, a little s h i t in the best possible sense and I trusted him with my life. I bought a completely different type on purpose - much bigger, different colour, different breed. A little bit of me misses having a horse that picks the pace (normally faster than required...).

scats

Visit site
What a lovely thread this is!

I love my horses so much, they are the centre of my universe and every decision I make is always with them in mind. My whole life works around them.

Millie is hilarious- she’s not a particularly cuddly character in the stable, but if she sees attention being given to Polly, she suddenly decides that she wants some. She’s sharp enough without being a complete idiot. I know she’d never intentionally try to remove me from the saddle, but you do need a competent seat when she spooks. She lies in her own poop constantly and is really the wrong colour for this! But I just adore her and her oddly deep body and matronly backside!

Polly is the sweetest thing ever. Even when she’s being naughty, the angelic look never goes from her face. I genuinely believe that she’s very fond of me, she just seems extremely grateful for everything I do and is always cheerful.

SpringArising

Visit site
I love my current horse to the moon and back. I've had a fair few but he has a special place in my heart - he has ridiculous talent for jumping, but also the funniest, cuddliest temperament - he makes me laugh so often. I look forward to seeing his goofy face every day. 🥰

Mahoganybay

Visit site
What a lovely thread this is.

It took 12 months for my mare to decide that I was her human, we have been through quite turbulent times, injuries included and she didn’t trust me for a long time, quite often taking matters into her own hands which scared me on occasions.

However, now I am deemed fit to be her human she is just giving me everything I ever dreamed off. She is quietly intelligent, beautiful to look at, affectionate and a little cheeky, loves a good bum scratch and gives me the most loveliest whinnies when I arrive at the stables.

When I’m in her presence I feel complete, when I’m riding her I feel happy and when I’m at home I’m always thinking about her.

I’m not ashamed to say at 50 years old I am still completely besotted with all things horse and I hope that never changes.

Attachments

• 60293674-86BE-4AAE-9A41-ADD4E2E4552F.jpeg
    60293674-86BE-4AAE-9A41-ADD4E2E4552F.jpeg
    946.3 KB · Views: 5

Dave's Mam

Visit site
Yes, yes, yes.
We've huge highs, awful lows, but this is my boy & I love the sodding bones of him.

64395515_10157707441064739_2499037969696948224_n.jpg