Dr riders wearing protective hats...

SpottedCat

Visit site
There was also some speculation that the dressage judges MIGHT have unconsciously penalized helmet wearers, as so much of dressage is based on the picture presented.

I doubt this would happen - from personal experience I wrote for one of the dressage judges at Aldon CCI* (I know a much lower level, but still!) and the only rider to come in wearing a beagler and normal jacket (as opposed to top hat and tails) led the dressage that year. And it was a rider the judge was very open to me about disliking, but as they said 'they just won't let me take marks away from them' - referring to the rider's skill in presenting a good test.

Weatherford

Visit site
Are dressage and rodeo regulated by some kind of overarching authority in the US, or are they completely separate? Seems weird to me that one country can have a sport with minimal falling off risk (such as dressage) with compulsory hats, but no mention of them for sports where falling off is pretty much inevitable (bronc/bull riding).

I'm quite in favour of the compulsory protective hats in competition, but the juxtaposition of the two sports in the country seems insane.

Separate entities. Totally.

Rodeos are beginning to make helmets and body protectors recommended if not mandatory. They are mandatory for riders on the college/university circuit, and many rodeo riders wear them anyway.

IMHO, you are foolish not to!!

smiffyimp

Visit site
As I understand 200 BD peeps voted and 40% said it should be personal choice. I dont do BD and alwys wear my bonnet (although never used to - im getting old and sensible:) ) but the BD folks on my yard are not happy about being forced. I have to admit to finding their reactions quite funny!

MandyMoo

Visit site
Think you are too good to need a helmet? WRONG. “The better you ride the harder you fall. Beginners fall off. Good riders get launched” – Jean White.

I totally agree with this, as someone whose falling off ratio goes up as my horses get fitter!

YES. love this quote. so true.

I need a protective tacking up hat. I've (more than once, I might add) punched myself in the face when my hand's slipped off a girth strap when I'm putting the saddle on. Ouchy :p

ouch!! poor you! on this note, i think i need a hat whilst tacking up or changing girths... i have (on numerous occasions) managed to punch myself in the face as my hands have slipped :p oops!!

As an American affected by this rule . . . I am all for personal choice.

So, if someone breaks a rib in a fall, will we also have to wear body protectors? There is an element of danger to any horse sport that will never be eliminated.

I'm not anti-helmet- I am very thankful for it when I fell off a couple weeks ago.

I think it's a knee jerk reaction personally. Most people who wear hunt caps in the ring do not wear helmets at home, IMO. So I don't think making helmets mandatory in the show ring will make a difference at home- where the majority of accidents occur.

I'm all for making the Jrs wear them, but I think the rest of us should have a say. Many have already gone and done it in the past year to make a statement for Courtney (who is not a helmet nazi, btw), but to make it a national rule is a bit overboard, when there are many pressing issues like safer XC and safer riding and instruction.

yes, agree on you that juniors should DEFINITELY wear hats. but i also think adults should aswell, not wearing a hat is stupid.. as for your point about body protectors, yes they prevent paralysis, but we're talking about hats, which prevent death - but then again, i do agree with 'each to their own'.. if you're stupid enough to not wear a helmet, then fair play!

as for 'smartness' - i actually think a harnessed hat looks smarter than beaglers (i may be in a minority here!! but i have never warmed to the beagler look. i think a charles owen hat looks lovely IMO!! :D

dressagelove

Visit site
Grrr. just wrote a whole reply then deleted the damn thing.

The thing I find with riders refusing to wear a hat, is they have no reason. Why?! Don't shout the 'its personal choice' card at me, its so unoriginal, but it is true... however, I don't care if you put your head in danger. What gets me, is they dont have a reason. Dont tell me that they are uncomfortable / hot / sweaty. The technology we have with hats now; they are breathable / you can get made to measure ones etc. and not wanting to mes up your hair?? This is your life we are talking about. I really do believe that many people don't want to wear hats because they think they look cool, which imo is a pathetic reason for not wearing one. They obviously are deluded, maybe a bump the head would help!

Someone mentioned earlier about if we break a rib then shouldnt we all wear body protectors? Well no, that is not a valid point. Yes, horse riding is a rish sport, it always will be, but it is about minimising those risks. Falling off and breaking a rib, or a leg is unlikely to be life threatening. Falling on your head has the potential to kill you.

Anyway, I truly believe people who dont wear hats will never change their opinion unless they have a close call / run in close to home where they realise what they are doing. As i said, I dont really care whether they do or not. But I do find I have less of an opinion who don't wear hats.

dressagecrazy

Visit site
I had a fall last Sunday, it was on the flat whilst schooling my big WB. He had had his field changed a week before & I totally forgot what grass does to him even this time of year.

I should of realised as he was being a sod turning out & bringing in, anyway he spooked whipped round on me & then turned into a rodeo horse. On getting to the fence at the other side of the arena he then did another 90 degree tun I came off right into the fence.

I ended up with paramedics, ambulances the lot, luckily I haven't broke anything but I did recieve a head injury.
I WAS wearing my hat a Uvex, the hat is trashed & I have black eyes, swollen face & still can't brush or wash my hair getting on for a week later.

I'm thankful for the hat but I will soon be investing in a PROtector. It just isn't worth going without a hat & even though I only changed my ways of hat wearing this year I've already had my life saved even though I look hideous.

Please all think about wearing hats, we all think we are good riders & it will never happen to you. But freak accidents happen even on horses we know inside out, I would be either dead or drinking out of tubes now if I hadn't worn a hat.

kerilli

Visit site
eeeek dressagecrazy, very glad to hear you're okay, if not terribly attractive for a little while! glad to hear your hat did its job.
the thing with the wbs in particular i think is that all that amazing power and athleticism is fantastic when it is working for you, really not great when unleashed against you, whether it's deliberate to get you off or just a horse having fun at the wrong moment.
i think the 'no hats' thing is a total no-brainer, literally. i mean, Paladine saying it's like telling people to wear a bp... no, a broken rib is very very unlikely to kill you. ditto, say, people not wearing safety boots around horses - hmmm, squashed toes are never going to turn you into a dribbling vegetable needing your mum to wipe your bum for every day of the rest of your life (if she lasts that long)...
it's terrible for the person struggling to regain some kind of life, if they're well enough to do so (look at Courtney King-Dye's vid on youtube if you don't believe me, anyway. she is so courageous, but i bet we cannot begin to imagine the despair and frustration and regret she must feel at times) but if not, for the family, it must be beyond terrible.

Booboos

Visit site
Dressagecrazy: ouchie, ouchie, ouchie! That sounds very, very painful and your big lad is a long way to fall off! Poor you! Hope you feel a bit better in time for Christmas!

dressage_diva

Visit site
Just incase none of you follow riders4helmets - Isabel Werth wore a customised Uvex hat with tails recently when competing in Frankfurt:

http://www.riders4helmets.com/2011/...en-helmet-in-frankfurt-and-makes-a-statement/
http://www.eurodressage.com/equestr...s-golden-helmet-frankfurt-and-makes-statement

Good picture here:
http://www.pferdemaedchen.net/content/stallgespräch-reithelm-pro-oder-contra

I'm personally not a huge fan of the gold bling, but so so pleased to see a top name setting a good example! I also noticed recently that in a lot of footage of Carl Hester and Charlotte Dujardin schooling at home they *always* have a hat on which is good to see too.

charlie55

Visit site
9 times out of 10 people will not change their thinking until something happens to them or someone close to them! No dout if something was to happen to PS (really hope it doesnt) then im sure she will start to wear a hat at all times of riding, but its her choice, weather others think its wrong or not. Im always telling my other half to wear a hat, but he will not, he doesnt ride but he is a farrier and has been kicked in the head badly twice!! Its a very dangerous job but farriers just dont wear a hat and never will!!

I have always clipped the horses at my yard, (62 horses) ive also gone to other yards and clipped horses there, 5 weeks ago, i went in to clip a horse i have done many times, started at the shoulder like always and all of a sudden out of no where he turned hes bum and still to this day i dont know how it was possible as i was by hes shoulder but he kicked me straight in the guts, i flew across the stable, hit the wall and the pain was unbelievable, i couldnt breathe or move, i had a huge bruise and for days just standing up was so so painful. Now, i clip my own horse and will not clip any other horse, not even if they are 30 years old and crippled to the point of not being able to pick up a foot. Just to prove my point that things will change when/if something like a freak accident accurs.

Alot of people at my yard dont wear a hat, but no amount of shouting at them and telling them what could happen will change a thing! So i dont bother!

kerilli

Visit site
crikey, charlie55, glad to hear you're okay but that is a nightmare. i've seen someone standing at a horse's head get kicked clean across the stable, until you see/experience it you cannot believe it. the big fluffy teddy bear is SOOOO fast when it wants to be. :( :(
i always wear a helmet for clipping now, i know a few people who've been very badly kicked while clipping (out of the blue by usually angelic horses). an American eventer was kicked a couple of months ago (while clipping) and died v recently from her injuries, iirc. :( :( :(

MandyMoo

Visit site
@dressagecrazy

oh ouch :( i do hope you're recovering!!!!!! but it just shows, hats are SO important!!

@charlie55

ouch!!!! sounds horrendous!! i myself have been kicked clean accross the stable by a naughty pony... hurts so much! (although mine wasnt as violent as yours! i was definitely winded, and luckily was wearing a hat so didn't injure my head!)

nixipixi

New User
Visit site
I can most definitely say yes to hard hats.
Only 5 days ago I came off my 19, yes 19! year old warmblood onto the road. She is 17hh and completely bronked...arched back, left the floor with all four feet and then bucked.:mad:
Now she does not normally put a foot wrong...ever! And I can only think that this exuberance was due to a combination of high winds, her being unable to be turned out in our flooded fields and she is getting fitter...after all she is still competing at affiliated elementary level!
I landed flat on my back with my head hitting the road very very hard. I heard my hat crunch very loudly. That could have been my skull.
I am very lucky that all I had was a headache and a badly sprained ankle....although I did grab her and ride home so maybe my common sense was a little off :rolleyes:

My point is, no matter who you are, how much of an angel your horse is, where you are or how long you are on your horse for.....your hat should always be the first thing on your priority list :D
RIP my poor trusty JTE helmet :)

ace87

Visit site
I would have died had I not been wearing a hat whilst walking my horse round the arena we'd walked round a billion times before.

I was lucky, a broken back was what I ended up with - L1,2&3 snapped. Bedridden for what felt like years, then having to learn to walk again at the age of 21 was emotional to say the least. Even whilst we were waiting for the CT scan results and my mother was inconsolable at the thought I might never walk again all I could think about was I AM SO LUCKY oh and I need a new hat!!!

The Dr's told me time and time again that had I hit a solid fence post at the speed I did, head on as I did, without my Just Toggs Jnr Sjer (RIP hat!) I would not be lying in Trauma, but in the Mortuary, or if I was very lucky HDU.

I would not and will not ever put vanity before my safety, not just for me but for my partner who would have to look after his vegetablised woman and my parent's who would become my carers too.

I for one think the Charles Owen 'Fiona' hat is beautiful and would have it over a beagler any day. I truely hope that BD enforce a rule regarding safety helmets at all levels, am encouraged by the new rule re: hats :)

dressage_diva

Visit site

kirstyl

Visit site

Farma

Visit site
Looks like Charlotte Dujardin was riding a protective hat on Valegro at Palm Beach:

http://www.eurodressage.com/equestr...wdm-palm-beach-grand-prix-personal-best-score (2nd photo down - although it has a different caption, I'm sure that's Valegro!)

And she definitely was in the warm-up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFR2jLBbYLk
Nice to see a younger rider setting such a good example :)

Thats nice to see her set a good example but when we went to visit we watched her ride at least 7 horses in a row (all pretty sharp) and only wearing a baseball cap :rolleyes:

Arkmiido

Visit site
I have been avidly reading Melanie Reid's column in the Times and I would recommend any rider to read it:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/melanie_reid/article7106702.ece

Inspirational... I buy The Times just to read it every week :):)
Sadly none of us are indestructible. Same goes for carriage driving - serious injuries can occur coming off a carriage - and it makes me cross to see certain team drivers careering around obstacles with baseball caps on!! Great example to the yoof aspect, guys...

zaminda

Visit site
On the 12th of January I had a serious fall. I spent a full day in hospital and was only released after being on a drip. However, I got off lightly, if I hadn't been wearing a hat I wouldn't still be here. Needless to say I will be buying a replacement!

kerilli

Visit site
On the 12th of January I had a serious fall. I spent a full day in hospital and was only released after being on a drip. However, I got off lightly, if I hadn't been wearing a hat I wouldn't still be here. Needless to say I will be buying a replacement!

Very glad to hear that you're okay. Did you see the pic of Valegro going vertical at the Prize Giving at the World Dressage Masters? Proof that any horse can do something totally unexpected at any moment!
New hat shopping is fun, lucky you to still be here to do it...

Shutterbug

Visit site
I know only too well the dangers of having an accident involving my head - I was dragged 60 feet while leading a horse from the ground and after 7 surgeries in 4 years I am all fixed up but still have a cracking scar across my hairline and a bald patch on the back of my head. I was left with a large hole in my head and was probably only saved by the fact that i was knocked clean out and was dragged like a rag - I broke no bones but the damage to my skin was immense - my arms and chest got it too. Whenever I meet someone who likes to risk their well being by not wearing a hat I offer to show them a photo of my injury - I wont post one here its very gross and I dont want to upset anyone but lets just say you can see a large area of my skull where the skin was ripped clean off my head. I get quite mad when I see people riding without a hat, I wouldnt wish what happened to me on anyone - and its not just the effect it had on me - it affected my family, my kids, my OH, my job, my confidence - its taken me years to recover and Im still not fully 100% - I was very very lucky not to die!

crabbymare

Visit site
I saw pictures of a stallion parade or gala that a friend took and another dressage person wearing one was Peter Minderhoud, was only a stallion showing but its a start and hopefully more of the top riders will set good examples.