Drama on the roads.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I took my pony out today for a quiet hack out. Firstly I heard something coming fast behind me as I was approaching the river bridge. It was a local young farmer who is a pita,drives fast and never slows down. He had an empty cattle trailer on the back of his landrover, went over the bridge at speed causing the trailer to fly into the air and come down with an almighty crash? . Good job pony is used to him.
Got to the village and there was a jam. Being Sunday morning there were tourists badly parked and a farmer had tried to get through with a flatbed trailer full of metal barriers, I suppose for a show that is on next weekend, and was well and truly stuck. Some blokes were taking the barriers off to try and make more room for the trailer to fit through. Fortunately I could get past the queue and turn off before the trailer and had an hours peaceful riding. Then back down s windy lane. Heard a vehicle coming up behind as I approached a blind bend. Rather than waiting until he could see or I could pull into the gateway just ahead he passed just as another pickup came round the bend. Both slammed on and the one that had just passed me skidded sideways and missed the other which had stopped by inches. I admit I did squeal. The driver of the stopped car looked rather white and we had a few choice words about the other bloke. Pony didn't blink at the drama , no idea what he would have done if they'd hit each other.
No more drama fortunately though we did meet a cycle race ?
So much for a chilled out Sunday morning hack.

Last edited:

Gloi

Visit site
One day I'm going to get his reg number and report the guy who speeds with his trailer. I never manage to get all the numbers and only know his first name. I first met him when I'd only just started riding my pony and was scared hearing him behind me and not knowing how my boy would react but fortunately he was good.
Dramas like this do make me appreciate him even with his duvet destroying tendencies!

Last edited:

Gloi

Visit site
I'd be getting a helmet cam and reporting ASAP.
Sore point. I bought a cheap helmet cam on t'internet and when I plugged it into the computer it blew the USB ports! I do still mean to get another but need another laptop first that I can connect it to ?

Visit site
I took my pony out today for a quiet hack out. Firstly I heard something coming fast behind me as I was approaching the river bridge. It was a local young farmer who is a pita,drives fast and never slows down. He had an empty cattle trailer on the back of his landrover, went over the bridge at speed causing the trailer to fly into the air and come down with an almighty crash? . Good job pony is used to him.
Got to the village and there was a jam. Being Sunday morning there were tourists badly parked and a farmer had tried to get through with a flatbed trailer full of metal barriers, I suppose for a show that is on next weekend, and was well and truly stuck. Some blokes were taking the barriers off to try and make more room for the trailer to fit through. Fortunately I could get past the queue and turn off before the trailer and had an hours peaceful riding. Then back down s windy lane. Heard a vehicle coming up behind as I approached a blind bend. Rather than waiting until he could see or I could pull into the gateway just ahead he passed just as another pickup came round the bend. Both slammed on and the one that had just passed me skidded sideways and missed the other which had stopped by inches. I admit I did squeal. The driver of the stopped car looked rather white and we had a few choice words about the other bloke. Pony didn't blink at the drama , no idea what he would have done if they'd hit each other.

As far as I know, the law states horses have the right of way on the highway, and reporting them can lead to a fine!

fiwen30

Visit site
Joining the back of the queue for your pony! You’re brave to venture out on a Sunday, everyone on the roads around here seems to lose their minds by the weekend!

southerncomfort

Visit site

Now that's what you call a bombproof hacking pony! ?

We had a cycle race here today. I suspect Bo would have been fine but decided to stay at home!

Gloi

Visit site
Well done to both you and pony!

I hope that you can nail the offending drivers. I take it that the driver of the other car in the near head on collision didn't have dash cam footage?
I'm afraid I didn't stay around long enough to find out but if he did I'm pretty sure the police will get it from him as it had shaken him up.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I'm afraid I didn't stay around long enough to find out but if he did I'm pretty sure the police will get it from him as it had shaken him up.

I had a couple of boy racers in a lowered Seat stop yesterday to ask me if I’d reported a driver they’d seen nearly take me and my horse out a few weeks ago, because they were shocked at the driver (white female in her 60s). I honestly find the young ones far better than the older ones.

Oh and yeah, she got a fine and points ?

millikins

Visit site
What a good pony but depressing that it sounded like mainly local drivers being so ill mannered and agricultural types too who really should know better how to drive around animals.

F&B

Visit site
Last week I was riding my horse uphill along a narrow country lane and like you heard a loud engine and rattly high sided trailer coming up behind. I signalled to him to slow down, but he seemed to speed up, so I moved into a more central position on the road thinking that would slow him down, but no - so I did a rapid dismount and just managed to get myself between my horse and him in time. He rattled by at a rate of knots and left my poor horse who is a seasoned hacking horse and very good with most traffic doing airs above the ground. Driver seemed oblivious. I have to say though almost every other driver I met that day slowed right down.

lme

Visit site
We are trying reflective tabards with signs that suggest drivers pass at 10 mph and give 2m space (ie follow the updated Highway Code) We don’t generally get that but most drivers do slow down significantly. Helps that one or other of us is usually on foot leading a horse in hand. Makes us wider to pass so motorists are less inclined to squeeze past at speed.

scats

Visit site
Some people are idiots. Last week at the Chester zoo ride, we were on the road coming back down the hill from the zoo and a car came roaring up the hill, around a blind bend. He slammed on when he saw us and put his hand up in apology. God help us if we’d been on the other side of the road, coming up the hill. Think he’d have been wearing us on his bonnet.

Your horse sounds like an angel!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
My nearest near miss was with a s0dding driving school instructor on his own in a liveried driving school car who roared up behind us on a blind bend. Goodness know how he didn't rear end us, but he left skid marks on the road. Saintly mare scuttled forwards as he skidded, which probably saved her life. I was hi vizzed as per my avatar and accompanied by a hi vizzed ninja cyclist who is also a qualified Advanced driver.

Driver didn't stop, but I reported him to both the police and the BHS. It wasn't difficult to identify him.

Miss_Millie

Visit site
We recently had a very close call where a truck came speeding around a blind corner, downhill, and had to emergency brake so he didn't hit us. His bonnet stopped about a foot before my saint of a mare's chest, who stayed incredibly calm. I was quite shaken up so didn't get the numberplate before he sped off again.

I'm glad that you and your pony were okay, OP. I think we'd all be a lot safer if all hacking was off-road.

Fransurrey

Visit site
My nearest near miss was with a s0dding driving school instructor on his own in a liveried driving school car who roared up behind us on a blind bend. Goodness know how he didn't rear end us, but he left skid marks on the road. Saintly mare scuttled forwards as he skidded, which probably saved her life. I was hi vizzed as per my avatar and accompanied by a hi vizzed ninja cyclist who is also a qualified Advanced driver.

Driver didn't stop, but I reported him to both the police and the BHS. It wasn't difficult to identify him.
Did anything happen with this, police wise? I had a near miss last week and reported to BHS but not police. I did get his plate as he stopped in the village, but wasn't wearing my hat cam.