Dream breed(s) you've always wanted

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Yes please! Kent Greyhound Rescue is on the OTHER side of the country to me but they've got this girl grey called Pam at the moment who's white with dappled spots and she's cat friendly and dog friendly and so chilled...thank god she's 150+ miles from me ?

Naaaw Pam! Also, love the name.

I just tried to get OH to play along with his dream breed. He just said he didn't really want another dog and then described in detail his dream house for accommodating Ivy instead.

Karran

Visit site
Always wanted a rough collie/sheltie. Such beautiful dogs. However I'm far, far too lazy to cope with the upkeep of the coats.

I love my WCS and would like another, but I'm also now thinking about a nice collie X, like a sprollie or collie/lab. In my head this fictional dream dog would have best of both breed characteristics and be the ultimate agility/flyball dog.

ihatework

Visit site
On my wish list …
Toller
Kooiker
Whippet
Springer
Manchester Terrier (another one!)

And on my admire but probably wouldn’t have list
GSD
Ridgeback

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
my favourite breed is deerhound, i did have one many years ago, wouldnt be practical for me now in a tiny cottage and also they dont live that long :( would also like an irish setter, but again a bit too big...if i was going to get another to go with my terriers it would be a whippet / border collie cross or a pure whippet, or a border terrier..

some show

Visit site
my favourite breed is deerhound, i did have one many years ago, wouldnt be practical for me now in a tiny cottage and also they dont live that long :(

That's a good point about the lifespan. My greyhound is not far off deerhound size (39kg, 31" to shoulder) and I do envy people with dogs that can be lifted over stiles, carried if they hurt their leg, etc! I love big dogs but they're not the most practical at times.

Emilieu

Visit site
Golden Retriever for me. The first dog I ever loved was a golden retriever named Prince.
My OH came with a chihuahua however, and he won’t be without one now so I have been forced to become a small dog person. He’s asleep on my knee now (chi, not husband) like a little warm, softly snoring cushion. He’s not so bad ❤️

Caol Ila

Visit site
I don't have any dog, but if I could have one, and space was not an issue (it is), I would have a Tibetan mastiff. My ex's sister has them (we're still friends), and they are the most beautiful, intelligent dogs I have ever come across. Her bitch had a litter at the end of January, and if I didn't live in a tiny flat in the city, I would have been begging for a pup. I knew the grandmother well, and she was a wonderful dog.

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
I have always been completely obsessed with corgis. Have heard they can be a bit vocal so OH has said I must wait until we leave army housing life and move into our forever (detached) home. I haven’t told him about the shedding, once he finds out it will be too late…

i almost crashed my car when I spotted one recently and I also have been known to approach corgi owners, desperate to say hello to their dog. Naturally I’m quite shy and avoid talking to people.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
English setter is the one breed I keep coming back to, possibly because Bear is oversize and roany. I’m increasingly attracted to scruffy terriers/crosses. I would love to just stroll into a rescue and point out a couple once I’m retired.

Possibly a Keeshond in the far future as it was my childhood dog, but I’m not sure I could be bothered with the grooming.

Yes please! Kent Greyhound Rescue is on the OTHER side of the country to me but they've got this girl grey called Pam at the moment who's white with dappled spots and she's cat friendly and dog friendly and so chilled...thank god she's 150+ miles from me ?

Ours were in Devon, the OH drove almost 4 hours each way in a day to pick them up. Just saying….

Moobli

Visit site
I don't have any dog, but if I could have one, and space was not an issue (it is), I would have a Tibetan mastiff. My ex's sister has them (we're still friends), and they are the most beautiful, intelligent dogs I have ever come across. Her bitch had a litter at the end of January, and if I didn't live in a tiny flat in the city, I would have been begging for a pup. I knew the grandmother well, and she was a wonderful dog.
A friend has just got a Tibetan Mastiff pup and she looks amazing but will be a bit too big and hairy for me. Beautiful dog though.

Moobli

Visit site
If I couldn’t have working line GSDs for whatever reason then I’d like …

Belgian Malinois
Irish Setter
Sable Rough Collie (but only an old fashioned 1950s type)
Aussie cattle dog
Red&tan Kelpie
Rough coated border collie

I’ve only ever owned border collies and GSDs and would love to sample other breeds but simply can’t tear myself away from GSDs to try anything different.
I walked an Irish setter and a rough collie as a child so did get a taster of those breeds and was on the cusp of buying a Kelpie pup but chickened out at the last minute and got another GSD instead ??
I sometimes do think life would be simpler with a couple of beautifully behaved Labs though, so maybe in my dotage I’ll get one of each colour ?

Smitty

Visit site
A Beddy whippet or any trad type lurcher. I have longed for a lurcher for 40 years but I will only have a dog I can pick up or generally manhandle to climb stiles, gates etc or if it is injured. I'm 65 and not getting any stronger so my 8.5k terrier is pushing the limits?

paisley

Visit site
A whippet lurcher that doesn't do horrified virtual pearl clutching when you put a bowl of food down that hasn't met 'Sighthound Impossible Criteria for Food Standards'
I think I'm always having the whippet with a smidge of collie lurcher. I might have a pure whippet to experience the full drama queen effect ?

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
If I could replicate the little dog we had at the RS I worked out I would have one like a shot. She was by a hunt terrier and out of a Sealyham bitch. This was in the 60's and at the time the Observers Book of Dogs showed a dog identical to her as a Parson Russel. Slightly longer legs than the Sealyham and shorter back, similar coat but looked more like a JRT. Best dog ever, intelligent, loyal, instinctively well behaved and a fantastic rat catcher. Jenny was a one off, never seen another like her and if one was available my sister and I would be scrapping over it. Otherwise for me there are only collies.

meleeka

Visit site
Weimaraners are lovely looking. I wouldn’t own one though.

I also love the look of a Samoyed. I definitely wouldn’t own one of those. Imagine the state of it in the winter around horses?’

Widgeon

Visit site
my favourite breed is deerhound, i did have one many years ago, wouldnt be practical for me now in a tiny cottage and also they dont live that long :( would also like an irish setter, but again a bit too big...if i was going to get another to go with my terriers it would be a whippet / border collie cross or a pure whippet, or a border terrier..

I would love a deerhound. But our house is several orders of magnitude too small, and I wouldn't want to let myself in for the heartbreak of short lived big dogs - I think I'll stick with terriers who seem to trundle on for years.

What I would really love would be to have seven more Cairns, and then I could ride around in a tiny chariot pulled by them. (shhhh, I don't tell many people this). Also, the thought of being greeted by seven terriers at once is ace. I'd need a fully fenced paddock though for exercise or we'd just be a furry ball of chaos that grown men would flee in terror.

Bradsmum

Visit site
I thought I could answer this one but each time I read a response another breed gets added to my list :D. I started with Old English sheepdog, sheltie, Great Dane and Irish wolfhound. I guess that should mean I would always find something in a rescue that fits the bill.

some show

Visit site
Some great answers, I wish there was a 'laugh' reaction as well as a 'like' for some of them! It's so interesting to see how different some people's 'dream' breeds can be compared to the one or ones they've ended up falling for and sticking with.

i almost crashed my car when I spotted one recently and I also have been known to approach corgi owners, desperate to say hello to their dog. Naturally I’m quite shy and avoid talking to people.

This is me up and dressed, too. Shy until it comes to saying hello to people's dogs!

Ours were in Devon, the OH drove almost 4 hours each way in a day to pick them up. Just saying….

Hah, so true...there are definitely greyhounds closer to me, though! Also I can't afford another one right now, I just torment myself by looking. You know, just in case :D

TPO

Visit site
Rottweiler- loved them since I was small

I didn't know these existed until I met one when walking my dog but a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling retriever. He was gorgeous

Always had a soft spot for dachsunds too

Oh and Finnish Lapphund too