Dream breed(s) you've always wanted

pistolpete

Visit site
A whippet lurcher that doesn't do horrified virtual pearl clutching when you put a bowl of food down that hasn't met 'Sighthound Impossible Criteria for Food Standards'
I think I'm always having the whippet with a smidge of collie lurcher. I might have a pure whippet to experience the full drama queen effect ?
Pearl clutching ??? My saluki lurcher will eat anything except apple!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Hah, so true...there are definitely greyhounds closer to me, though! Also I can't afford another one right now, I just torment myself by looking. You know, just in case :D

Like we were doing, looking at litters and definitely not actually going to get puppies. Obviously. ?

Annette4

Visit site
My realistic list is:

Whippet x collie
Collie (short coated)
Swedish Vallhund
Pembroke Corgi (would have to be a red male)
Springer Spaniel (OH will never agree)
Smooth Collie

But I would love:
Sheltie
Italian Greyhound
Old English Sheepdog
Lab (OH really doesn't like them ?)
GSD
Malinois

P3LH

Visit site
I’ve concluded I have both of mine. I’d just like more of them. Rough collies and corgis work well together too - and I’m lazy so it working as a group without too much intervention works for me.

I seriously looked into whippets but couldn’t find any with the temperament/personality I remembered growing up. One day perhaps. In addition: Tibetan Spaniels, Norfolk/Dandie Dinmont/Smooth Fox terrier and Great Dane. Doubt I’ll have any of them though, for various reasons. I also quite like American cockers I’ve realised over the years.

Do think it’s just corgis and rough collies for me, but only certain lines in both - and these are all bred by older people who seem to be wrapping up breeding so who knows if I can’t find the lines I like in the future.

P3LH

Visit site
If I couldn’t have working line GSDs for whatever reason then I’d like …

Belgian Malinois
Irish Setter
Sable Rough Collie (but only an old fashioned 1950s type)
Aussie cattle dog
Red&tan Kelpie
Rough coated border collie

I’ve only ever owned border collies and GSDs and would love to sample other breeds but simply can’t tear myself away from GSDs to try anything different.
I walked an Irish setter and a rough collie as a child so did get a taster of those breeds and was on the cusp of buying a Kelpie pup but chickened out at the last minute and got another GSD instead ??
I sometimes do think life would be simpler with a couple of beautifully behaved Labs though, so maybe in my dotage I’ll get one of each colour ?
I happen to know of a sable dog rough pup from two smooth parents, who will turn out the old fashioned type like my blue boy, who is looking for a home. I am having to fight all temptation l and think rationally that I don’t need another young dog, particularly another young male, at this point in time.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I happen to know of a sable dog rough pup from two smooth parents, who will turn out the old fashioned type like my blue boy, who is looking for a home. I am having to fight all temptation l and think rationally that I don’t need another young dog, particularly another young male, at this point in time.

Interesting, I too would love an old fashioned one. Mind you, when I look at how my smooth blows his coat out I think I must be mad-he gives the ponies a run for their money in the moulting stakes but he's in the house.

P3LH

Visit site
I have always been completely obsessed with corgis. Have heard they can be a bit vocal so OH has said I must wait until we leave army housing life and move into our forever (detached) home. I haven’t told him about the shedding, once he finds out it will be too late…

i almost crashed my car when I spotted one recently and I also have been known to approach corgi owners, desperate to say hello to their dog. Naturally I’m quite shy and avoid talking to people.
The shedding really isn’t much different to any dog, they just don’t shed seasonally. A good hoover and you won’t even notice. They do like to give their opinion on most things though, your ears learn to tune them out!

P3LH

Visit site
Interesting, I too would love an old fashioned one. Mind you, when I look at how my smooth blows his coat out I think I must be mad-he gives the ponies a run for their money in the moulting stakes but he's in the house.
The smooth bred roughs don’t seem to moult much at all. My much missed blue boy would get a brush a week and you’d get not much off him. They have a very different coat entirely to either counterpart. Much more as it was fifty/sixty years ago when they were popular pets.

ArklePig

Visit site
What I actually want and what I think will suit my lifestyle is a lab, but I have a serious hankering for an Airedale! That one will have to wait until my lovely GPS go to the big veg patch in the sky.

NinjaPony

Visit site
Duck Tollers are my ultimate; one day I’ll have one when I’ve got the time/space to exercise one properly. Gorgeous gorgeous dogs.

Always fancied an English Setter, they are beautiful.

Love a Corgi, but think they might be a bit too much personality to handle…

Very lucky that our family dog is already my dream dog; she’s a phalene (drop eared papillon) and she is absolutely beautiful. So I’d like another one of them!

Still considering a Welsh Springer as a slightly sturdier and larger spaniel, or a Golden… maybe a whippet too as realistically they would probably fit the lifestyle better.

some show

Visit site
What I actually want and what I think will suit my lifestyle is a lab, but I have a serious hankering for an Airedale! That one will have to wait until my lovely GPS go to the big veg patch in the sky.

Airedales are a breed I like very much too! When I was little a friend's cat was killed by one and at the time it made them seem a bit scary, but now I own a greyhound who wants to murder all things furry it doesn't bother me so much!

Still considering a Welsh Springer as a slightly sturdier and larger spaniel...

I really like Welsh Springers too. So handsome, I prefer them (looks-wise) to the English springers to be honest.

FinnBobs

Visit site
I have always really wanted a Golden Retriever
Also would love:
Red Setter
Labrador
Samoyed
wiry coated Jack Russell
Jack Russell/ Jagdterrier
Shetland Sheepdog
German Shorthaired Pointer
Beagle
Cocker Spaniel
Flatcoat Retriever
Hungarian Viszla
Border Collie

My trio of Rough Collies are keeping me busy enough at the moment though!

I'm Dun

Visit site
A whippet lurcher that doesn't do horrified virtual pearl clutching when you put a bowl of food down that hasn't met 'Sighthound Impossible Criteria for Food Standards'
I think I'm always having the whippet with a smidge of collie lurcher. I might have a pure whippet to experience the full drama queen effect ?

Mine is the greediest dog I have ever met. His standards are "is it food?" and "can it either fit it in my mouth to eat to or to carry it to my bed?"

But other than that he definitely gives out the full drama queen princess effect on a regular basis!

palo1

Visit site
Yes to the Borzoi lovers - I'm in full agreement! They're stunning.

English Setters are also stunning, another breed I've never seen in the flesh. I find pointers beautiful too but working dogs are beyond my capabilities, I know that much!

Whippet people never seem to go back, once they've been whippeted - must be a good sign.

A friend of mine has a borzoi - he is divine. My primary school housemistress had one too and she was lovely as well. I think I would want one only if I had the room and wherewithall to watch it moving to it's full potential - they are extraordinary dogs really. A whippet is a thing to treasure and I would love a purebred one day. My Irish terrier is a dream too and I would quite like a pack of 6 of them though that would potentially be a bit of a handful...!! So many lovely breeds to dream about. I am always interested in the spitz breeds too and love the Shiba Inu's looks.

Widgeon

Visit site
Mine is the greediest dog I have ever met. His standards are "is it food?" and "can it either fit it in my mouth to eat to or to carry it to my bed?"

The golden retriever I walked for years didn't even have standards THAT high. She skipped the first question and went straight on to the second. I do my best never to think about some of the things she ate.

Starzaan

Visit site
I’ve been lucky to have several of my dream breed which is Great Danes. I adore them and you can never be sad around a Dane. I have also been fortunate to grow up with an astonishing array of dogs in the house, from Bouviers to Podencos and Cockers to Dobermans.
At the moment, the one I am in love with and will probably end up with by the end of the year, is a Dutch Herder. They are DREAMY.

Moobli

Visit site
Oh you so need him!! Please PM me details just do I can have a nosey x

Hepsibah

Visit site
Golden Retriever for me. The first dog I ever loved was a golden retriever named Prince.
My OH came with a chihuahua however, and he won’t be without one now so I have been forced to become a small dog person. He’s asleep on my knee now (chi, not husband) like a little warm, softly snoring cushion. He’s not so bad ❤️
Same. I have chihuahuas and love them dearly but would just love to have a Golden Retriever.

Hackback

Visit site
Irish Wolfhound for me. I think one featured in a TV program I watched when I was little. I cant remember the program but I remember being in awe of the dog.

Too expensive to justify and also just a bit too big to be practical, although I am now on my third Pyrenean (cross this time) so quite used to big dogs.

Just thought of another - Pyrenean shepherd dog. I know diddly squat about them, just that they look nice, sound nice and would match with a Pyrenean mountain dog ?

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
I would love a deerhound. But our house is several orders of magnitude too small, and I wouldn't want to let myself in for the heartbreak of short lived big dogs - I think I'll stick with terriers who seem to trundle on for years.

What I would really love would be to have seven more Cairns, and then I could ride around in a tiny chariot pulled by them. (shhhh, I don't tell many people this). Also, the thought of being greeted by seven terriers at once is ace. I'd need a fully fenced paddock though for exercise or we'd just be a furry ball of chaos that grown men would flee in terror.
my newest terrier is cairn/yorkie/border and is a real live wire, is that the cairn or the other breeds?

Starzaan

Visit site
Now that’s exciting! Do you know which breeder? They’re another stunning looking breed.
Aren’t they incredible? And from everything I want in my next dog, they tick all the boxes.
I have had Lorockmor recommended and I do like the look of their dogs, but need to do more research into good breeders over here. If you know of any please shout!

Wishfilly

Visit site
There's lots of reasons I can't have a dog at the moment- so honestly any dog at all would be a dream ;) but someone who lives on my street has recently got a vizsla who seems both gorgeous and affectionate. But there are so many dog breeds I would have if I could!