Dream breed(s) you've always wanted

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Aren’t they incredible? And from everything I want in my next dog, they tick all the boxes.
I have had Lorockmor recommended and I do like the look of their dogs, but need to do more research into good breeders over here. If you know of any please shout!

They breed pretty full on working dogs for security/sports involving bitework, if that is what you are after. As a breed they can be extremely hard-headed and not the easiest to train, but you should be being told that through research. I know a couple of people who got one and then noped straight back to something easier.

Depending on where you go there can be a lot of interbreeding with Malinois, definitely in ringsport/KNPV/NVBK lines.

Last edited:

[139672]

Visit site
I have always hankered after a toy poodle, the ones I have known have been such endearing, clever little dogs. However when I have a spare space at mine there always seems to be a rescue dog on the horizon desperate for a home. One day perhaps!
I wanted a toy poodle and I have one. He’s apricot and a little treasure, apart from when I clip his claws - he turns into Satan then ?. Try Poodles In Need if you ever have space for another rescue ?

Berpisc

Visit site
I would love a Saluki, I dont think we would be a suitable home though. I would like another Biscuit, another collie gsd cross like Sam, another GSD and a Parson Jack Russell. Then something like a Papillon, and a mini Jack Russell..various mongrels...you did say dream dog scenario didnt you ;)

Nicnac

Visit site
Arnie Snowman.jpgIMG_7398.JPG Having had so many Bernese, the flatties, border collie and now my gorgeous Springer, I have always lusted after a Great Dane. I prefer big dogs although a duck toller is a stunning dog and probably a better fit for the size of my cottage!

Starzaan

Visit site
View attachment 90769View attachment 90770 Having had so many Bernese, the flatties, border collie and now my gorgeous Springer, I have always lusted after a Great Dane. I prefer big dogs although a duck toller is a stunning dog and probably a better fit for the size of my cottage!
I lived in a mobile home with three Great Danes. They’re so lazy they just curl up into a tiny ball and sleep.
you should definitely get one!

Starzaan

Visit site
They breed pretty full on working dogs for security/sports involving bitework, if that is what you are after. As a breed they can be extremely hard-headed and not the easiest to train, but you should be being told that through research. I know a couple of people who got one and then noped straight back to something easier.

Depending on where you go there can be a lot of interbreeding with Malinois, definitely in ringsport/KNPV/NVBK lines.
I’d rather not have a Mali mix, although I currently have a Mali and she’s divine. I’d like a new challenge ?

Moobli

Visit site
Aren’t they incredible? And from everything I want in my next dog, they tick all the boxes.
I have had Lorockmor recommended and I do like the look of their dogs, but need to do more research into good breeders over here. If you know of any please shout!
I don’t really know any breeders personally so can’t help but will want to hear all about your new addition. I should have added the Dutch to my wish list too.

paisley

Visit site
Mine is the greediest dog I have ever met. His standards are "is it food?" and "can it either fit it in my mouth to eat to or to carry it to my bed?"

But other than that he definitely gives out the full drama queen princess effect on a regular basis!
I wish! Although for a bonus, if food gets dropped , he waits for permission before having it. (Someone has to shout ‘Doggy bonus!’)

EllieBeast

Visit site
I grew up with Rotties and would love to have another one at some point. But I’m really not a fan of the flat faced square type that seems more common these days. The last one we had as a family lived to almost 14yrs, she was light framed and athletic, a wonderful loyal and friendly girl. I miss her lots.

I adore my Dalmatian, but it’s not a breed I’d ever have chosen (ex partners choice- I’d have picked a rottie!). She’s a wonderful girl who is well behaved (you can take her anywhere!) and the best housemate you could wish for, but not the most rewarding of dogs to train- she has not real drive to please you ?

My next choice will be another German longhaired pointer, was really hoping to get a pup this year but they’re so rarely bred that may not happen. We have a 3yr old bitch now, she’s my first ever gundog, let alone HPR and she’s an absolute delight. Such a pleasure to train and work with, her drive to please is amazing and she’s the kindest, sweetest girl. I’m besotted!

maisie06

Visit site
Belgian Mallinois, a proper working bred one! I would love to own one if I had the time for working ests tracking/protection work, I love how altheletic and intelligent they are.

Lucher - I have always loved sight hounds

Clumber spaniel - Again a decent working line to work on the shoot

Bloodhound - I doubt you can buy a working one now - but again would love to train one for tracking.

some show

Visit site
Bloodhound - I doubt you can buy a working one now - but again would love to train one for tracking.

There were two bloodhounds showing off their tracking skills during Crufts this year - just had a quick google and there are kennel club working trials by the look of it! I expect it's one of those things where you need to contact the club/breeders and find out how/where to get involved.

SOS

Visit site
A malinois is my dream dog but I don’t think I’d ever have the lifestyle (be active enough in myself) nor the discipline to own one. So I’m happy just watching them at demos at country fairs etc.

Wishfilly

Visit site
Belgian Mallinois, a proper working bred one! I would love to own one if I had the time for working ests tracking/protection work, I love how altheletic and intelligent they are.

Lucher - I have always loved sight hounds

Clumber spaniel - Again a decent working line to work on the shoot

With bloodhounds, it depends what you mean by working, surely? I think there's about 20 bloodhound packs in the UK?

DressageCob

Visit site
I have my dream breed at the moment (GBGV). I waited years to get one.

with unlimited time, space and resources I’d love an otterhound. Bloodhounds and Irish wolfhounds are also favourites of mine. And airedales.

Boulty

Visit site
I'm another person who is secretly in love with Bloodhounds after hunting with a few packs on the orange pony. I have neither the time nor the space to do one justice but it's nice to daydream about having one lolloping along at the side of the pony (although riding him is a daydream in itself).

I also love the look of Pharoh Hounds but I definitely don't have the experience to train one / wouldn't even know where to look for them.

Just at the start of all the designer dog obsession I did used to think I might quite like a Puggle but having met some since they seem to be the most stubborn & naughty creatures on earth.

I also sort of want a longhaired Chihuahua purely to freak people out by letting it play in the mud, go for walks on it's own legs / generally be a dog.

Hackback

Visit site
I believe the bloodhounds used for hunting have been bred with foxhounds to make them more athletic and sociable than pure bloodhounds, who apparently don't appreciate pack life.

I prefer the hunting type bloodhounds to the Clement Freud old style with the very droopy eyes and ears. The hunt bloodhounds always seem to be very cheerful, enthusiastic and friendly souls but I don't see them as pet dogs, they just love being together and working so much.

chaps89

Visit site
I think Afghan hounds are just gorgeous.
But I have always always always wanted a mini poodle. One day maybe.
That said, my YO had her Yorkshire terrier pups out the other day, there was one I could have easily taken home! I’m not sure that’s how responsible dog ownership works though ?

Moobli

Visit site
It’s actually quite mind blowing to stop and think just how many dog breeds there are to choose from. They are the most variable mammal on earth yet are genetically almost identical, from a Chihuahua to a Great Dane.