Dunne v Frost

Fellewell

Visit site
Oh stop with the 'Poor, poor, Roobie Dunne' emotive nonsense.
All the poor man did was systematically name-call, wave his penis at, and threaten a jockey who has a more successful record than him (not hard) at a much younger age. All recorded on camera, by witnesses, incidentally so it isn't 'Frost's story' or 'Dunne's story'.
And an INDEPENDENT panel found him guilty, and banned him for 15 months with 3 months suspended (there's a good reason for that 3 months hanging over him too).
From the panel's findings, poor ickle Dunne wouldn't know the truth if it slapped him in the face either.
And here you are, victim-blaming.
YOUR opinion disgusts me.

Don't you dare tell me to stop. Your opinions are so ill-informed you don't know who's male and who's female when you're trying to insult the jockeys. You're a joke.

minesadouble

Visit site
There seem to be two different angles here, those saying that bullying and sexism is endemic in racing and those saying BF was singled out.
I don't work in a racing yard but know a few who do and they all say they have never been aware of a bullying/sexist culture.
I think a lot of people in racing are a bit upset that it is getting such a bad name when they love their jobs and have never witnessed the negativity people now seem to be assuming is commonplace.

With regard to the Dunne/Frost situation the sentence was to make an example of him and discourage others from bullying behaviour.
I always feel some sympathy for those who are 'made an example of' and receive a harsh sentence but, as (I think) GS said, if he hadn't got himself in that situation in the first place...

Parrotperson

Visit site
Apropos nothing at all (but you know women and what we face) this just on Twitter.
Honest to god you couldn’t make it up.

as to Dunne do I think his sentence too harsh? On reflection no not particularly.
Let’s see if he takes it to a court of law. I wonder what his lawyers are advising him about whether he could win there.

minesadouble

Visit site
OK, genuine question for everyone because I'm interested in the answers and because I feel my own personality affects the way I view the whole debacle :

From everything you have read would YOU have felt intimidated and upset enough to take action or would you have told him to F*** off and got on with your day?
I know everyone is different but I know how I would have dealt it and it certainly would not have upset or intimidated me personally.

bonny

Visit site
OK, genuine question for everyone because I'm interested in the answers and because I feel my own personality affects the way I view the whole debacle :

From everything you have read would YOU have felt intimidated and upset enough to take action or would you have told him to F*** off and got on with your day?
I know everyone is different but I know how I would have dealt it and it certainly would not have upset or intimidated me personally.
That’s totally irrelevant, it wasn’t about you

cold_feet

Visit site

Probably both, and would have felt demeaned and threatened as a result.

bonny

Visit site
No it wasn't, but as I said I'm interested in the views of others otherwise i wouldn't have asked.
You should start a new thread then and ask how much crap people are prepared to put up with but asking on here and saying what happened to Bryony wouldn’t have bothered you is insulting and like I said, irrelevant.

fankino04

Visit site

Maybe she didn't feel intimidated and upset by it maybe she felt angry and that enough was enough so she reported it, I don't know. Maybe instead of laughing along with the "banter" as all the others do (whether they find it funny or not), she did tell him to F off, just perhaps given that she doesn't seem to be a popular person behind the scenes, that F off was enough to tip the "banter" to targeted bullying (as elf said she is regarded as a two faced, arrogant b!tch, apologies for the paraphrasing elf), and as others don't like her they didn't step in to help her. Obviously I know nothing of what actually happened behind the scenes, but she didn't need to feel scared in order to take action, neither should she have had to put up with an outdated culture just because its how it always was.

Ellibelli

Visit site

I agree with other posters that it's not really relevant what you or I would do, but for the record if it had been a one off I would've told him to F*** off and got on with my day but if that didn't put a stop to his actions I would've then taken action - and this case was clearly not a one off! I worked in a very male dominated industry for years and when I think back to the sh*t I tolerated for a quiet life I shake my head in shame...

Kadastorm

Visit site
She felt affected by it enough to report what was going on and so it doesn’t matter how anyone else may have reacted to it. I am a very anxious person who cannot deal with confrontation due to previous DV. I try not to show my emotions in front of people but behind closed doors, events from the day may really get to me.

anyway, I just feel really upset for BF as itvracing just kept going on and not really showing any support for her but kept going on about the use of the word rancid and how everyone was lovely inf the weighing room. Clearly that is not the case when RD has just been found guilty of bullying and harassment ?

honetpot

Visit site

I have bullied my self when I was young, and watched someone else being bullied at and supported them to take action. When it happened I would have been shocked and upset, and then I would have sewn him up like a turkey and sacked, which what I did in a work situation.
Bullies can make even the competent people doubt their judgement, and are experts at sowing doubts in other people minds.
It was difficult for BF because its obvious that the hierarchy and culture supported what was going on, so her only recourse was to as she did. Most work places have policies and procedures, there wasn't even a code of conduct for the changing rooms.
What was apparent from ITV racing this morning was most didn't really understand the issues it raised, they were so focused on the word, 'rancid', which BF did not use, that they were making it worse.
It also raises safeguarding issues, who is the safe guarding lead, and what is the safe guarding policy, as someone has rightly pointed out it's not just about women.

Last edited:

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site

No, I wouldn't have been intimidated but I certainlhy would have reported Dunne's actions. What on earth was he thinking of, exposing himself to her? If he hadn't been in the workplace, he should have been reprted to the police. He was extremely lucky not to be reported to them and arrested as it was.

jnb

Visit site
I am shocked tbh he hasn't found himself on a sexual assault charge, in any other workplace his behaviour is completely unacceptable and criminal.I can't get my head around how anyone can defend it. And the rest of the "old boy's club" (and their female, silent or otherwise, supporters), words fail me.

Steerpike

Visit site
After watching the racing today I am actually quite disappointed in ITV and the jockeys, all they could concentrate on was the word rancid, well if the cap fits wear it, not one jockey or presenter stood up and said what happened was wrong, all of them were far to concerned about being called rancid which is pretty mild compared to what BF was called, and I can't see how they didnt know the bullying was going on. And as to the winning jockey Sam Twiston Davies saying about his Dad had big balls which was maybe why he had so many kids to Luke Harvey says a lot about the childish mentality of some of the jockeys.

Goldenstar

Visit site

I would have thrown every book I could find at him .
The Willy waving incident was clearly misogynistic and had an undertone of sexual violence .
It’s a work place and the behaviour so below the standards I would expect to find in a work place that yes I would have formally pursued it .
I not a shrinking violet but why should anyone allow the workplace to descend in that sort of nonsense .

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

I would have told him to eff off, got on with my day and then I hope I would have reported him for the sake of all the young/weaker men and women who don't have my combative nature and would accept that it's just racing "banter".

If I hadn't reported him it would not have been because I didn't think it should be reported, but for fear of what I might bring down on myself if I did.

Bryony Frost has my total respect.

tristar

Visit site
Mmm, here is my take on it after reading a fair bit on the topic.

I think that he had the hots for her at some point. She didn't reciprocate and his ego could not take rejection. Normally two people could avoid each other after this point. But no, their work environment required them to be in a state of undress in the same room. Maybe she cracked a joke with some other jock, got on ok with them. Mr. Bruised Ego could not hack it and decided to constantly have a go at her. The race riding incident was an aside that could conveniently be dragged into it..... Any thoughts??? Am I for the birds?

As any good Dub would say, he is a 'bleedin gobshite'.

i was thinking on similar lines, and could not find a way of putting it, not exactly as you say, but certainly a deeper undercurrent possibly

and we have no way of knowing bryony`s innocence or experience of men, but as a young woman this was a very nasty way for any man to behave towards someone much younger than himself

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
One of the things that strikes me about the indecent exposure, is that the way the women have to enter the male changing room, to access the valets, actually makes this slightly "defendable", in that it is likely that men will be naked in that room. It does not excuse his actions, but it would give him a smokescreen to hide behind iyswim.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site

tristar

Visit site
No it wasn't, but as I said I'm interested in the views of others otherwise i wouldn't have asked.

i see it as she had the choices, she knees him in the knxckers, and is accused of being as bad as he is, takes no notice until its so bad she has an accident or breakdown, or gets the authorities to adjudicate on the situation

whatever she does someone will not approve

i wonder if social services approve of men who behave as he does, would there be any concerns for children raised by such individuals as he he appears to brazenly perform in public with no conception he is convicting himself