Early july weekend plans

Cherryblossom

Visit site
I’m taking my 3yo daughter and her pony to their first show to do the Tiny tots lead rein class. I’ve refused to invest in a proper leaders outfit, when I reckon it’s 50:50 if she’ll even get on, but I feel like I’ve spent the entire day transforming Bubbles from semi-feral to vague presentable!

Attachments

• 5E5D5642-9546-4EF0-AA06-42A724D92611.jpeg
    5E5D5642-9546-4EF0-AA06-42A724D92611.jpeg
    34 KB · Views: 10

Roxylola

Visit site
Im back from my holiday today, its hissing down so while I might ride I don't think I'll be schooling in the field as I'd intended. Which could make our unaffiliated dressage tomorrow interesting. Novice 28 and ele 42 - I'm determined to get out doing ele this year so I figured I'd kick on - at worst we'll be third ? so there's that.
The young sharer of owners other pony is going to take Charlie in p1. She's ridden through it a few of times at home in the field so hopefully being on a surface will help smooth the rough bits. Canter work is not quite there for them but I hope it goes well enough to encourage her to do more, she's a nice little rider and he's a good boy for her

Michen

Visit site
Finding it VERY hard to pack this little chap off to a recuperation paddock rather than continuing with the less than successful box rest and walking. Can’t help but feel I’ve given up too easily.. and sad to separate him and Boggle.

Was going to move him today but tomorrow’s another day, right? ?

911547E7-FE78-4E73-89EE-DB7DA9C51191.jpeg

Lexi_

Visit site
Well my weekend has just got rather more exciting. I've just very unexpectedly bought a horse subject to vetting. A very lovely, super fun 15.2 Section D mare who I thought was going to be a summer romance but is now headed for marriage!

Well this is very exciting!!

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Well my weekend has just got rather more exciting. I've just very unexpectedly bought a horse subject to vetting. A very lovely, super fun 15.2 Section D mare who I thought was going to be a summer romance but is now headed for marriage!

1f60d.png
1f60d.png
1f60d.png
1f60d.png
1f60d.png

Reacher

Visit site
Congratulations @Ambers Echo , that was unexpected but nice surprise !

Had a quiet week after last Sunday’s eventing. Had an amble to the beach with friend and her pony yesterday.
Going SJ tomorrow, entered in the 80 and 90 cm. Today turned into a lazy day, mr H seems happy with that decision.

Enjoy your weekend everyone and good luck whether competing / vetting / anything

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
Congrats AE! I’m sure you’re going to have so much fun with her!

Little video of Pepsi schooling today. Working on getting him to relax and stretch, and trust the leg and the hand. Canter transitions are messy, and takes a while to get a nice trot back, still having some shooting off from the leg. But I just love how hard he tries and how quickly he picks things up!

blood_magik

Visit site
Super pleased with Honduraz today - first time outside at that venue and we had the Banner of Doom ? in our arena.

Thankfully we were allowed in before the test so he had time to get used to it enough that it wasn’t too much of an issue (just enough to keep me on my toes ?).

E57 went better than it did in practice so I was really happy with that. It was really muggy so I kept my second warm up nice and short but he was definitely a little tired going into the medium as he dropped me slightly in the trot work and it got a little bit strung out. Really happy with the canter work, just need to make sure I push him up into the contact when he gets tired as he was *just* on the edge of coming behind the vertical.

Really happy with scores of 67.19 and 66.91 to win both classes ? still can’t quite believe how good he feels ???

3664A018-8EE4-485A-9156-1976837528E0.jpg
A367995B-A6EF-46A4-BBA0-9B6E784219EC.jpg

SEL

Visit site
Turns out the microcob has quite a pop on her. I haven't jumped for a gazillion years and wasn't planning to jump her bitless and in my friend's borrowed treeless saddle with dressage length stirrups (& no knee rolls!). But hey - another livery had left some small jumps up and I thought we'd see how she did. Pony likes to jump!! Human needs a decent saddle and is thinking she might do a bit more with her thelwell pony. I didn't realise how much I missed jumping - even tiddly ones.

GinaGeo

Visit site
I will preface this by saying that Pod is a sharp, clever, adjustable horse that it if given a chance can get utterly mentally stuck.

Today, we went XC schooling again. He’s not always the most forward thinking and I wanted to let him jump round the course, and learn to settle into a rhythm and find the brave horse that I know is in there.

It started spectacularly, namely by launching us both into orbit when he brushed through some plastic brush. It made a noise and he did the cartoon scared horse, leap directly upwards. I sat that bit. I didn’t however sit the 180 on returning to Earth so he could glare at said brush, and tell it off for making him look silly.

Which was followed by him turning back round to look at me, and tell me off for being stupid enough not to stay on. He was kind enough to come and get me and wait while I hauled myself back on. So we continued. Him ready to conquer the monsters that live in fences and make noises as you jump them. And me making a mental note to hold firmly onto my neck strap.

He has previously declared that some ditches and steps are absolutely jumpable. And some absolutely are not and warrant a complete mental stick. As a stupid human I cannot decipher why some are fine and some are not - but I have a hunch that it’s not the physical thing that’s an issue. But the mindset he reaches it in, and once stuck he’s stuck.

I was cleverer today, the forward gear was fully engaged, and the feet were going forwards and instead he declared himself king of the steps and we had much jovial fist punching and self-congratulatory celebrating. Most of all he let himself really enjoy it.

We’d taken a steady hack round first so he could see some of the different types of fences first. And gave way to a couple of others who were riding round the course and Pod watched with intent interest. Soaked it up like a sponge. And set out with a new found determination to conquer. It was quite funny.

We decided it was time to crack on and jump the course. He’s a super ride, he covers the ground, is adjustable, let’s you ride him and makes light work of the fences.

He was understandably a little suspicious of the horse eating brush, but we were kindly given a lead by a kind soul on the course and he gave said brush a nonchalant karate kick on the way over.

But the horse that finished today was worlds away from the mentally stuck one. He was looking for his fences, taking me into them and making it feel really very easy.

It’s easy to compare him to his peers, and think he should be out competing.

But he isn’t them and mentally he needs time to fully understand and decide that this a job he wants. He’s a strong minded horse, who will only partake if he wants to. But I suspect that once he decides he’s with me on this, he’s going to be a proper partner.

We’re going again in a couple of weeks. And this time I’ll remember to hold my bleddy neck strap right from the start. ?

Bernster

Visit site
New boy (when do they stop being new?!) had an interesting physio session today. He’s more settled in the school now (4 weeks in) but pretty unbalanced particularly in the canter. He’s much better in the walk and trot work and seemed to enjoy the physio session, until the other horses started coming in - he’s very attached to his neighbour and quite clingy so we ended it there. I’m hoping it’s just him being in a new home, as it’s unrequited love (his neighbour is very unfussed) and a bit too dependent! F as usual was a superstar on our hack. I then hacked away at his mane with the scissors ?

scats

Visit site
Nearly withdrew from dressage today as I just wasn’t really feeling in the mood, but decided I was being lazy so off we went.

Worked in sweet enough but was a bit flat in canter. Then I think I over cooked her a bit so clearly not quite getting our warm-up right.
She did a sweet test, nothing spectacular, but pretty obedient apart from a cheeky buck into canter and then going a bit flat in the medium walk. 67.05% so not too bad.
Think we’ll have a quiet week hacking and take a break from the school.
E41C8D50-FE75-425D-A7A1-2186A29E1762.jpeg
4CFB374D-65EC-4097-A22B-B41955D16054.jpeg

KEK

Visit site
Found my OH a horse! Lovely 20yo solid standy who is a total been there done that (and still sound) boy we will be leasing. Will be perfect for us to hack out on as our other standy is also older and needs a lighter rider, so I will ride her. Have finally decided to sell the pony. Not looking forward to that :/

southerncomfort

Visit site
Terrible pic (dirty lens/strange angle) taken by the husband but this me on my beautiful 5 year Fell pony this morning.

Progress is very slow due to not having a regular helper and this was our first time off the lead rein. He was going great guns until a couple of horse and carts trotted up road and he completely lost forwards and if I put my leg on he just turned a very slow circle on the spot!

Got husband to open the gate, pointed him towards his field and we were off at a march. ?

Happily I have a really good freelance rider/instructor coming to help me from next week so we should start making faster progress

ETA I'm going to get him out hacking ASAP as he absolutely loves being out and about and I think it'll make more sense to him .

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1625394280778.jpg
    FB_IMG_1625394280778.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 11

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Also to finish off a pretty awesome weekend all round, I just got a call from the U18s selector for the U18BE90 championships. Katie has been selected as one of the reserve riders. Which means she can attend team training too. Considering they only stepped up to BE90 this season, I am very proud of them both!! It’s unlikely they will take part but she will go down and cheer on the team and work even harder to try and make the team next year.

Wishfilly

Visit site
I hope she sells quickly and to the right home, ycbm. I hate selling too, and it's hard not to get too wound up about it.

I seriously am contemplating selling or retiring my perfectly healthy 9 year old as a pet. These saddle frustrations and the money I've lost due to incompetence is eye watering (really sums up this entire area regarding horse stuff). Could've bought that really nice 2 year old I was eyeing awhile back with all that money.

Finally got an Amerigo and I love riding in it. It is perfect for me, and is a really good fit for the horse. I'm terribly worried that it won't work out though, or he will end up sore (physio again in 5 weeks). Fitter said it's perfect and it does look really good, but I doubt myself nonetheless and this is my last attempt at the matter.

Going to school some more in said saddle and try it out on a hack.

So...just stressing and being boring as usual ? 1st comp in August if all works out.

Best of luck to those of you competing this weekend.

Empathising with this as I'm also having a bit of a nightmare with saddles- I've got another saddler coming out on Wednesday, though, so fingers crossed!

Roxylola

Visit site
So, first test with his "new" jockey. Charlie was a good boy slithered out of the arena in his left canter but picked his canter back up and carried on to come second in their section with over 62% - I'm super proud, Jan 2020 his first prelim with me he cantered on the wrong leg and broke at least twice so she's made a better debut than me.
He then did the same with me in his novice test ? and with poor counter canter both ways we came last with a bit over 63%
By this time he was very hot and bothered so we mostly walked between novice and ele did a bit of leg yield in canter and went in. He found it really hard the movements all demand that bit more from him, but somehow we stayed in the boards (whip in right hand). There were weak points but I was pleased with him overall, and we only went and won the class
Screenshot_20210704-204157_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20210704-202550_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20210704-202532_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20210704-202513_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20210704-202501_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20210704-202440_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20210704-202409_Gallery.jpg

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I had a fantabulous time at camp, went Weds lunchtime and arrived back earlier today having had a clear run home on the motorways.
Flatwork lesson, 2 x sj lessons and an arena obstacle (almost arena eventing) lesson, the latter having water tray and skinny, a log wall etc, tho nothing of size as they were blooming heavy to lug into arena and it was v warm on Friday!
20210704_215228.jpg

20210704_215247.jpg
Also had some great hacks, one v long one yesterday with JB, up across the top of the downs which involved some brisk canters and an even more brisk (intended) gallop ?
FB_IMG_1625431696941.jpg
We had 3 comps, stressage, sj and Trec, so had a variety of things to compete at. Came home clasping a handful of rosettes, nailed just about the lot and was most chuffed with our 1st and clear round in sj, as well as only dropping one mark in Trec, so getting a gold award.
Renewed acquaintances with old friends and made new ones too.
A jolly good Fuzzy filled time ?