Elderly dog with weakening back end - to walk, or not to walk.

scruffyponies

Visit site
My Rottie x bullmastiff is now 14. Her back end is getting weaker, and she increasingly stands like an overbred GSD.
She's still very happy, alert, continent and enjoys a wander around the garden (acres) several times per day, plus walks of up to a mile if she gets the chance.
OH and I differ as to whether these walks are doing harm or good. I'm in the 'if you don't use it, you lose it' camp, where OH thinks it may be more than is good for her.

I know she can't last forever, but we both love this dog dearly, and want to keep her going as long as possible, especially as she's in such high spirits. Who is right?

1707912959196.png

Last edited:

Sparky Lily

Visit site
I think maybe you both are! We have a 14 year old beagle in much the same state. We decide whether to walk, and if so, how far/long on a daily basis. Some days he just potters around the garden; others he may be out for over half an hour. Sometimes it is a stroll up and down the road; others a scamper in the field. He is always eager to get out, but we make the decision on how he is on that particular day. This has worked better for him than walking him daily as we had done previously.

skinnydipper

Visit site
My Rottie x bullmastiff is now 14. Her back end is getting weaker, and she increasingly stands like an overbred GSD.
She's still very happy, alert, continent and enjoys a wander around the garden (acres) several times per day, plus walks of up to a mile if she gets the chance.
OH and I differ as to whether these walks are doing harm or good. I'm in the 'if you don't use it, you lose it' camp, where OH thinks it may be more than is good for her.

I know she can't last forever, but we both love this dog dearly, and want to keep her going as long as possible, especially as she's in such high spirits. Who is right?

Does she appear stiff after resting?

scruffyponies

Visit site
She had acute inflammatory issues in her hips, which paralysed her with pain about 4 years ago. She's on daily turmeric and black pepper, youmove and a bit of linseed. This seems to have prevented any recurrence. I'm not saying she's totally pain-free - what elderly animal is? - but she isn't showing any signs of discomfort apart from when lifted into the car, which has to be done very carefully now.
Biggest issue seems to be muscle atrophy. A strong wind would blow her back end over, and she often will drag a toe for a moment.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I'd let her move around your property at her own pace rather than take her out for walks.

My (overbred? 😬) GSD just turned 13, still has a lovely elastic/fluid gait and no stiffness, was able to do 30-40 minutes in one go a few times a week before Christmas but can now see him slowing down after about 15-20 so he gets 10 mins x3 a day max. My garden isn't big enough for pottering and he just grazes anyway.

skinnydipper

Visit site
I'm not sure what you mean by she stands like an overbred GSD but if that is not her normal stance she needs evaluation by a vet.

Elderly dogs do not need to be in pain and if she needs to be lifted into the car very carefully and is stiff when rising then it would appear that she is.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
First few strides after a long spell on the sofa, yes, but not excessively. TBH I'm worse :D
Sounds like me!

Bear, almost 14, having been to the vet, is on loxicom. He accompanies us on walks and goes at his own pace. I'm super slow so never go past him. He too is stiff when he first gets up, literally the first three steps. He won't jump into the car, but happily jumps up on the recliner for cuddles. I think I'd see how the dog is on walks then check daily. If Bear is struggling, he gets a short potter round the green outside the house, seems perfectly happy, but is very stoic, so I don't do huge walks. I too think vet.

conkers

Visit site
My old lady takes the decision when it comes to walks. She is 15 and also has a weakening back end.

Some days she just potters around the garden and some days she comes for a walk with the youngsters. You can really tell when she wants to come as she is the first out of the door and to the gate.

When she comes with us we either do a slower, shorter walk or we take her pram with us. The pram has been an absolute game changer for her. She can come with us, enjoy her little stroll and then gets to sit in it like a princess whilst enjoying the views. We leave the sun roof open and drop treats in every now and again. It means that we can all enjoy a decent walk without her being scared of it being too far and without short changing the youngsters in their need for a longer walk.
(She is a terrier so smaller than your girl but very similar in how she is aging.)

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Regular reminder, not aimed at anyone in particular, that drive to go out and do fun things they've always done/adrenaline will carry the dog through pain and then the stiffness and soreness comes later, so the dog never really makes the link between over exertion = pain so they do not know to self regulate.

irishdraft

Visit site
I have border Collie siblings who are both 14 and a half, one of them is also weak & wobbly behind but he still comes out for a reasonable walk in the morning although is quite slow so we all walk at his pace. In the evening the others go out for another walk but he just goes out to the garden so that seems to work I think if he was left behind for both walks he would get very upset, he is also on loxicom to help with stiffness.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Right now my young dog is learning to relax on the lead, which means lots of stop-starts, turns and funeral-marching. Walks are short and the elderly dog is often going faster than we are :D
This made me smile! I am doing the same and my older (still young though) dog just thinks I've gone nuts!

I used to take my old Collie on "fake walks" when she got a bit doddery behind. I felt bad leaving her behind all the time and she really wanted to come, so we did special walks for her which often just involved reaching the road outside the drive and sniffing round or getting in the car and getting out somewhere new for a sniff rather than actually going anywhere. She seemed to enjoy that.

paisley

Visit site
Can also reccomend looking into a Equilibrium massage mitt- mine loves it after a walk and I feel it helps him quite a bit.

scruffyponies

Visit site
I second or third proper pain relief for her. She can’t say how bad it is, but if any dog of mine did not want to be lifted I’d assume a red flag.
I didn't say she didn't want. I said it had to be done carefully. She's an odd combination of built like a tank (37kg) and very frail.
It would be easy to hurt her due the large amount of force which is necessary to get her off the ground.
We have a good system where she puts her own front feet on the boot lip (4x4), and I support her back end to hop in.

skinnydipper

Visit site
I didn't say she didn't want. I said it had to be done carefully. She's an odd combination of built like a tank (37kg) and very frail.
It would be easy to hurt her due the large amount of force which is necessary to get her off the ground.
We have a good system where she puts her own front feet on the boot lip (4x4), and I support her back end to hop in.

Why don't you just take her to the vets for evaluation and evidenced based pain relief if necessary?

Tell the vet things you have noticed, like the stiffness, unable to get in the car. Take videos of how she stands and her gait to show the vet.

You can't go wrong with a vet visit. There is either nothing to find, no treatment necessary or if she is in pain the vet can prescribe pain relief.

Last edited:

Teaselmeg

Visit site
I would have a check up at the vets, and consider a pain meds trial AND have a physio look her over as well. Vets will check for pain, but won't necessarily see the tight fascia etc.

My 11yr old lurcher continues to see her canine massage therapist regularly and we do conditioning work. She was a coursing dog before I got her and we did agility together, but she is pretty amazing for her age because she had regular massage/ release of tight fascia throughout her agility career. I would do all this, then you will see how much exercise your dog is happy to do.

scruffyponies

Visit site
She has been to the vet quite recently for a checkup. No concerns there, and she hasn't suddenly changed or developed any new problem.
No dog of that age (age 14, vs life expectancy of 8-10!) is entirely pain free, but she is moving around happily, comfortably, and much more than you'd expect for such a venerable mastiff-type.
Not convinced that giving metacam to a dog who is comfortable and who has had a very sensitive stomach* her entire life is the best advice, TBH.

*she doesn't react well to new things. Once took out our house's whole electrics by throwing up on a plug socket.

Last edited: