Emily King crowdfunding?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Well at least the horse will stay somewhere where he’s clearly liked by the rider ,as she’s made the effort to do this.
Nothing horrible about that .

I don't know many horse people who don't like horses 'worth' £40,000 :D

Goldenstar

Visit site
I don't know many horse people who don't like horses 'worth' £40,000 :D

Actually I don’t think your right there many of us would not enjoy a highly talented four star potential youngster at all we like to ride for many good reasons other types of horses.
Eventing is littered with horses who go through many yards before they are lucky and click with some one .
Every yard move means the potential of unhappiness for a horse staying long term with one rider who likes you is a good thing for a horse .

Last edited:

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Well if the owners thinks he has clicked with Emily and won't do as well with someone else why not let her keep the ride? They aren't selling to AN Other as far as I can work out. I assume that as a young talented horse, they feel they can get other local riders to bring him on and keep him themselves. But EK wants to have him and I presume the 40K is in the 'offer I can't refuse' category not necessarily an open market valuation. But as it is a lot of money get others to donate to buy her a horse who may (if he really does go to Badminton and the Olympics and even 'beyond') eventually be worth hundreds of thousands. It makes perfect sense as a solution for Emily: No financial risk, no sacrifices needed - (how about NOT moving away if he is her 'horse of a lifetime?' or how about syndicating him properly so she can't just cash in if he comes good?) What staggers me is that people are willing to do it! Just buy a wealthly, privileged woman a top quality horse. Makes no sense to me at all.

SOS

Visit site
Well at least the horse will stay somewhere where he’s clearly liked by the rider ,as she’s made the effort to do this.
Nothing horrible about that .

I think crowd funding for a non-charitable cause when you have a flashy lifestyle is horrible. Each to their own opinion but I don’t think entering an email onto just giving is ‘effort’.

Can we also recognise she has only had the horse exactly a month today according to social media? Maybe she should start charging to wave her bum over a horse and predict its future.

Reactions: TPO

Goldenstar

Visit site
I think crowd funding for a non-charitable cause when you have a flashy lifestyle is horrible. Each to their own opinion but I don’t think entering an email onto just giving is ‘effort’.

Can we also recognise she has only had the horse exactly a month today according to social media? Maybe she should start charging to wave her bum over a horse and predict its future.

We can recognise what ever we wish to .
I remember the whole King Joules thing with Emily , she clearly determined and resourceful .
Personally I would never give anyone money in such circumstances but it’s up to everybody to decide .

ycbm

Visit site
but it’s up to everybody to decide .

But some less aware people are being misled that a £20 donation will buy them a course walk and stables visits at Badminton and/or the Olympics. In a retail situation that would be a trading standards offence. If she knows she cannot deliver that promise (and how can she not, with her background?) then it's misrepresentation or outright fraud.

For people to make an informed decision, they need the right information.

SO1

Visit site
Unless she has inherited money she probably has very little money of her own, her lifestyle is probably funded by parents or partners parents.

I expect the owners gave her the ride based on her being at her mother's yard where she had the support and expertise of her mother on tap, if she moves to her partners then it is not the same as she does not have the expertise so close by. If she is going to be independent of her parents and her partner's parents then like other young people her age who are not high earners raising the cash for a 40k horse is going to be a challenge. I would not be surprised if many of those who are donating think they are going to get access to Mary as well as Emily.

I agree Just Giving should be for charitable causes not raising money for business ventures and as a professional rider buying the horse would be a business venture as if it has the potential she says it does it would further her career rather than be a family pet. If she does raise the cash I hope she thinks about how she could give something back to the equestrian community maybe support some equestrian charities or some free coaching or some internships at her yard for those from disadvantaged backgrounds.

popsdosh

Visit site
Unless she has inherited money she probably has very little money of her own, her lifestyle is probably funded by parents or partners parents.

I expect the owners gave her the ride based on her being at her mother's yard where she had the support and expertise of her mother on tap, if she moves to her partners then it is not the same as she does not have the expertise so close by. If she is going to be independent of her parents and her partner's parents then like other young people her age who are not high earners raising the cash for a 40k horse is going to be a challenge. I would not be surprised if many of those who are donating think they are going to get access to Mary as well as Emily.

I agree Just Giving should be for charitable causes not raising money for business ventures and as a professional rider buying the horse would be a business venture as if it has the potential she says it does it would further her career rather than be a family pet. If she does raise the cash I hope she thinks about how she could give something back to the equestrian community maybe support some equestrian charities or some free coaching or some internships at her yard for those from disadvantaged backgrounds.

Duck theres a flying pig !!!!!!!

I think EK has probably already had enough of a leg up due to her family ties than most hardworking youngsters trying to start with nothing.

Really I wish mine were worth 40k having done diddly squat . Thats what you pay for an intermediate with points! I have throughout my time dealt with all sorts of horse sales and those in the eventing world are more dodgy than any others. The stories of those trying to get their piece of the action are unbelievable . A very good friend sold a good intermediate through H&H to a national team the national trainer doing the buying wanted the horse invoiced to the buyers for 25% over the asking price ,guess where the 25% was going. Then 3 weeks later they got an invoice from a very well known international rider in the UK for 10% of the sale price . When asked what this was for the answer came back 'I pointed out the advert to them' Said rider did not like what he was told to do.

Last edited:

Goldenstar

Visit site
Young horses who look like they will make the grade are now very very expensive .
The new rules for qualifying has reduced the value of the intermediate and three star horses and increased the value of young ones .
That people will pay 120000 euros for a completely inexperianced youngster with smart breeding for eventing is amazing to me but they do .

Visit site
Young horses who look like they will make the grade are now very very expensive .
The new rules for qualifying has reduced the value of the intermediate and three star horses and increased the value of young ones .
That people will pay 120000 euros for a completely inexperianced youngster with smart breeding for eventing is amazing to me but they do .

People pay millions for foals and yearling in racing because of their bloodlines. Yes you are increasing your chance of having a good horse by using the best bloodlines but you are not guaranteeing it. And then you need to keep the darned thing sound!

Kadastorm

Visit site
So she has got the money and secured the ride. According to her Instagram she is donating all his future winnings to charity...

ycbm

Visit site
So she has got the money and secured the ride. According to her Instagram she is donating all his future winnings to charity...

Well she didn't get it from Justgiving, which is only at £25,000, so all that money will have to be returned under their rules, I think?. Presumably she has got it from the sources event riders would normally find it from, does she say?

SpringArising

Visit site
Well she didn't get it from Justgiving, which is only at £25,000, so all that money will have to be returned under their rules, I think?. Presumably she has got it from the sources event riders would normally find it from, does she say?

She said she got it from two private investors.

ycbm

Visit site
She said she got it from two private investors.

Exactly where she should have got it from in the first place instead of making ridiculous promises to strangers. I'm glad it worked out for her and I'm glad for the donors that it worked out that way.

Puff

Visit site
Exactly where she should have got it from in the first place instead of making ridiculous promises to strangers. I'm glad it worked out for her and I'm glad for the donors that it worked out that way.

Agree 100%

Lammy

Visit site
She only got the remaining money from private investors. She'll be keeping the 25k or however much she got from the just giving fund...

Puff

Visit site
Just seen the 2 private investors are making up the balance from what’s already raised from donations, any more donations will go towards his running costs...

cundlegreen

Visit site

Well, that won't be much, given the poor prize money given out. Plus she's got to win her section out of approx 40, all or most ridden by other pros. Good luck with that one.....

ycbm

Visit site
Well, that won't be much, given the poor prize money given out. Plus she's got to win her section out of approx 40, all or most ridden by other pros. Good luck with that one.....

And meanwhile over 500 people now have the right to turn up and demand a course walk and a stables visit at Badminton, should he ever get there. The world's gone mad.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
And meanwhile over 500 people now have the right to turn up and demand a course walk and a stables visit at Badminton, should he ever get there. The world's gone mad.

Yes, and if I get myself elected as an MP, by promising constituents that I'll stand them a round in the House of Commons bar, there's no guarantee that the grockles would be allowed in...

Promising something that you can't possibly deliver is a standard in politics, which is why I sugested that this might be EK's future career.

claracanter

Visit site
We can recognise what ever we wish to .
I remember the whole King Joules thing with Emily , she clearly determined and resourceful .
Personally I would never give anyone money in such circumstances but it’s up to everybody to decide .

I have never been keen on her. The ride she gave that horse at Badminton a few years ago was not great. Just being nosey but what was the whole King Joules thing?

oldie48

Visit site
OMG thank goodness that when I was young all the stupid egotistical and thoughtless things I did didn't get posted on social media. she's very young and ambitious,cut her some slack and give her time to grow up. If she's any good she'll make it, if not she'll just disappear. Give her some money if you want to, if you don't want to, then just don't. Of course she is priviledged, lots of people are but she still has to ride a big fence on her own and to do that requires something that most of us, just don't have, and for that she gets my respect.

paddi22

Visit site
yeah i look forward to seeing them handle hundreds of people turning up to nosey around their yard or wander the stables/course at badminton or the olympics...

MagicMelon

Visit site
What is the deal? What do people get out of it?

Is it for a yard visit or something?

ETA - actually I hopped onto Facebook and looked it up...

- Be able to see him at the lorry/ stables at ALL of his competitions and see how everything works behind the scenes
- Walk his XC courses with me at all of the big events he comeptes at
- Come to watch him train at home, near Chester
- Be an official part of Team King
- Become a true part of Hobby’s journey to the top of the sport & follow him with a true connection to Badminton, the Olympics & beyond.

.....That all seems like a bargain for £20!

Not when you consider she wants 2,000 people to give £20 therefore potentially you'll be walking the XC with her and 1,999 other people! Theres no way she could offer that at something like Badminton or the Olympics?!

I don't see why she has to do this, surely a rider of her level can get given rides pretty easily? Personally, I'd rather keep my money to spend on my own horse.

Last edited:

eahotson

Visit site
I am not fond of any form of horse competition these days.I can't see what she has done wrong though.Very few riders at that level actually own their own horses.The horses have other owners and the riders also have sponsorship.They wouldn't be able to compete at that level otherwise.They earn a bit on the side with lessons etc. but sponsorship and owners with deep pockets form the rest.It is part of the problem.Also, to compete at that level you need a team of horses not just one.Bit of jealousy from some people?

paddi22

Visit site
I can't see what she has done wrong though.

If she wants to crowdfund she is entitled to, and if people want to give her money, that's their choice. But she has promised things (yard visits/course walks) that she can't deliver. For example, if I paid money, she has stated as part of the deal that I can go behind-the-scenes, pop into stables and coursewalk on ALL his big events. Do you genuinely think I can go up to her at Badminton or the Olympics and hang around for the day as promised?

ycbm

Visit site
She is now also taking more money by false pretenses. The just giving site still says she needs the money to buy the horse and people are still donating not knowing that the horse is already paid for, because she has not put on an update.