Enable!

Gillykat

New User
Visit site
What a beautiful mare, will she visit Frankel I wonder?

Frankel would be awesome....as would Sea The Stars or Galileo BUT.....they're all too closely related :(

Galileo is her grandfather, and is the sire of Frankel and half-brother (same dam in the great Arc winner Urban Sea) of Sea The Stars.

There's always Dubawi I suppose? Tho' I'm not really a big fan of him :rolleyes:

Visit site
Enable is actually quite inbred - her sire is by Galileo who in turn is by Sadler's Wells and her dam is by Sadler's Wells so crossing with Frankel would be far too OTT and wouldn't work. The trouble with everyone wanting to use the best there is an absolute glut of stallions and broodmares by Galileo or Sadler's Wells which leaves the option of basically going for Godolphin or American sires. I'm not sure an American sire would suit as you would end up with a dirt tracl horse.

Juddmont will already have it planned out for who she goes to in the spring.

I watched the race inbetween races at Kelso and everyone there was gutted. Absolutely gutted for the mare. She wore her heart on her sleeve every single stride of that race and has lost nothing in defeat. Yes she has beaten the horse that won on a few previous occassions but that horse is in it's element on soft ground Enable prefers it quicker so yes the ground is probably what beat her BUT you have to give it to the owner and trainer for running her on the ground she is unproven on and probably wouldn't like.

There's an old saying - a good horse will go on any ground. And to be fair to her whilst she got tired in the ground she coped with it enough to come home a superb 2nd. If you had ran and trained her om such ground for a few weeks to add in a bit of match fitness on the ground then things might have been different. But then If's and But's done win racing.

What is done is done and Andre Fabre has won an unprecidented 8th l'Arc!

Last edited:

Orangehorse

Visit site
The jockey on the winner planned his race well. I'm gutted for Enable, same as everyone else, but I guess that in a head to to head slog she might well have worn him down, but coming from the back at full speed she didn't have an answer in that short distance.
Honour in defeat though.

Turitea

Visit site
Enable is great and I would have loved her winning a third time in Paris. However, I am equally thrilled for Waldgeist!

humblepie

Visit site
I found the tv coverage annoying particularly when they kept going on about if she was being retired. Give them all a chance to consider and then announce.

tristar

Visit site
Enable is actually quite inbred - her sire is by Galileo who in turn is by Sadler's Wells and her dam is by Sadler's Wells so crossing with Frankel would be far too OTT and wouldn't work. The trouble with everyone wanting to use the best there is an absolute glut of stallions and broodmares by Galileo or Sadler's Wells which leaves the option of basically going for Godolphin or American sires. I'm not sure an American sire would suit as you would end up with a dirt tracl horse.

Juddmont will already have it planned out for who she goes to in the spring.

I watched the race inbetween races at Kelso and everyone there was gutted. Absolutely gutted for the mare. She wore her heart on her sleeve every single stride of that race and has lost nothing in defeat. Yes she has beaten the horse that won on a few previous occassions but that horse is in it's element on soft ground Enable prefers it quicker so yes the ground is probably what beat her BUT you have to give it to the owner and trainer for running her on the ground she is unproven on and probably wouldn't like.

There's an old saying - a good horse will go on any ground. And to be fair to her whilst she got tired in the ground she coped with it enough to come home a superb 2nd. If you had ran and trained her om such ground for a few weeks to add in a bit of match fitness on the ground then things might have been different. But then If's and But's done win racing.

What is done is done and Andre Fabre has won an unprecidented 8th l'Arc!

another factor is she is quite a big strong mare so would sink into the ground more than a flimsy type

Mariposa

Visit site
A friend of mine as there and said the going was like a bog! It just blunted her turn of foot. I mean its AMAZING that she came second, I was completely gutted for her but with hindsight she did so so well. Gutted for her, gutted for Frankie and John Gosden but she's home safe and sound, that's really what matters.

Visit site
I am actually hugely shocked by this! A colt I could understand as they can produce 100 foals a year for many years, mares can't!

Well done to Juddmont for making such a big decision which will be such a crowd pleaser!

Clodagh

Visit site
I do see where CCL is coming from, these top horses become so precious to people. She isn't over raced though, and is impeccably looked after. I think it is very good for racing, I know the experts keep saying Pinatubo will be another Frankel, but Frankel caught the imagination as he was pretty and trained by a legend who was battling ill health.
Enable makes me watch flat racing, so she is doing something right.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
I just think she's done enough, this was supposed to be her last season, what more has she got left to prove?

I know anything could happen as a brood mare etc but what if she gets a fatal injury on track? With the following she has built up I'd rather see her go out in one piece

Mariposa

Visit site
I'm SO excited she's staying in training! What a sporting thing of the Prince to decide! I'm sure they'll be very careful with her, but I can't wait to see her back on the track!

Visit site
Its akin to Michael O'Leary saying that Tiger Roll wont go for another National. If he wins at Cheltenham for the 5th time he retires on the spot.

Then he decides when the horse is back in work that he is going for the National again.

{97702}

Visit site
I wasn’t surprised at all that she didn’t win - as soon as they said she was at 85% and needed the run it was clear they’ve got longer term goals in mind for her, and this was a ‘nice to have but not important’

bonny

Visit site
I wasn’t surprised at all that she didn’t win - as soon as they said she was at 85% and needed the run it was clear they’ve got longer term goals in mind for her, and this was a ‘nice to have but not important’
That’s just how trainers talk before a first race, she looked the part but she could never have closed that gap

fankino04

Visit site
Loved the look JG gave Matt Chapman when he suggested that enable should have taken on Ghaiyyath from the beginning. If enable was trained by Aiden o Brian do we think a horse would have been put in to try and take Ghaiyyath out early? Also do we think enables best days are behind her? She still battles but is there still that turn of speed?

bonny

Visit site
Loved the look JG gave Matt Chapman when he suggested that enable should have taken on Ghaiyyath from the beginning. If enable was trained by Aiden o Brian do we think a horse would have been put in to try and take Ghaiyyath out early? Also do we think enables best days are behind her? She still battles but is there still that turn of speed?
I guess we will have to wait and see but today’s race was all very predictable, she will probably improve but I think she would struggle to beat the winner if they met again let alone yesterday’s classic winners who both look above average. The arc is a different proposition though and it’s not impossible to imagine her winning her third. Whatever happens she is an amazing horse and we have been lucky to see her for so long.

fankino04

Visit site
I guess we will have to wait and see but today’s race was all very predictable, she will probably improve but I think she would struggle to beat the winner if they met again let alone yesterday’s classic winners who both look above average. The arc is a different proposition though and it’s not impossible to imagine her winning her third. Whatever happens she is an amazing horse and we have been lucky to see her for so long.
Yep, trying to convince the OH we need a short break in Paris in October. Was lucky enough to be at Chantilly to see her win her first arc.