Enough to put you off breaking horses in for life! *Video*

micramadam

Visit site
I think he may have bought this from a recent sale over here. Very large sale with buyers from all over the world and very well bred horses going for stupid prices.
Anyway this is NOT the way it is done in the majority of yards around where I live. Groundwork, groundwork and more groundwork is the order of the day before even thinking about backing.
The whip was to send him forward, plus he was telling the rider to send him forward. Needless to say I will not sending my youngster to him for training! Not that he will be anything like that. I have the feeling he'll be too laid back to be bothered about a rider on his back.
I was also shocked that they left the jumps in, could have caused serious injury to the horse or rider.
What a rider though!!!!

lula

Visit site
is that horse bridled or just in a headcollar..i cant quite make it out..can anybody else?

the first time i mean.

kirstykate

Visit site
A LOT of horses WILL react that violently when sat on for the first time, if they haven't been properly prepared! Good thing the jockey WAS so sticky because if he'd fallen, the horse would have had a jolly good try at kicking his head in!

If a horse is frightened by the 'predator on his back' (and at least 80% of them will be if not prepared) then sending him forward with a whip can help stop the bucking - the horse bolts instead, (flight or fight!) If it doesn't fall over in the process, it will eventually realise that 'the predator' isn't trying to kill him!

Even if I had a jockey as sticky as that chap, I wouldn't allow that approach to be taken with any horse on my yard! The risks - to the rider AND the horse - are just too high. The horse is likely to strain its back muscles - at least - as its musculature ISN'T ready for a weight on its back while it turns itself inside out! A horse that isn't worth a lot more care and consideration than that isn't worth tuppence!

Thats just how its done on the continent, bridle on saddle on girthed up tight, they let them buck themselves out in the school, then they just get on and sit tight, then they are produced with by the rider. They dont mouth them up, lunge or line them. Bloomin good jockey though.

Christsam

Visit site
F me. wish I could sit broncs like that :eek: gotta feel sorry for the horse. Something obviously was missing from the training. maybe I shouldnt have watched this as im coming up to finishing the breaking of my big boy though!!!

LJN

Visit site
Hahaha, that is what the youngster I tried out did to me... I had my instructor yelling 'Don't fall off, she is just testing you!' Yeah, easier said than done!
I managed to stay on but needless to say when she settled, I jumped off and handed her back PDQ - I think I will wait another year or so before I consider anything under 5!

FestiveBoomBoom

Visit site
Very, very impressive rider.

Not the way most horses are backed over here (probably because we don't have enough riders brave enough to ride truly forward on youngsters without a handbrake on!) but seems to work with 1000's of horses on the continent and I bet the horse is unrecognisable after another 3 or 4 rides of being taught forward is the only way.

But then how many of these horses on the continent are affected by these methods of backing and end up with issues further down the line. I wonder if this horse will be one of those? It will be interesting to follow!

CBFan

Visit site
A LOT of horses WILL react that violently when sat on for the first time, if they haven't been properly prepared! Good thing the jockey WAS so sticky because if he'd fallen, the horse would have had a jolly good try at kicking his head in!

If a horse is frightened by the 'predator on his back' (and at least 80% of them will be if not prepared) then sending him forward with a whip can help stop the bucking - the horse bolts instead, (flight or fight!) If it doesn't fall over in the process, it will eventually realise that 'the predator' isn't trying to kill him!

Even if I had a jockey as sticky as that chap, I wouldn't allow that approach to be taken with any horse on my yard! The risks - to the rider AND the horse - are just too high. The horse is likely to strain its back muscles - at least - as its musculature ISN'T ready for a weight on its back while it turns itself inside out! A horse that isn't worth a lot more care and consideration than that isn't worth tuppence!

Couldn't have said it better myself JG... I actually feel quite sad for the horse for being put through that trauma for want of a bit more preparation...... It clearly hasn't even been taught to stand still and enjoy being mounted... thats just basic stuff.

OFG

Visit site
Not sure this is in this country? Can't hear audio very well but sounds like the people are speaking German / Dutch?

Amazing jockey to stay on though. Although I would have had someone giving me a leg up / holding the horse initially.

kirstykate

Visit site
Couldn't have said it better myself JG... I actually feel quite sad for the horse for being put through that trauma for want of a bit more preparation...... It clearly hasn't even been taught to stand still and enjoy being mounted... thats just basic stuff.

How many horses end up with issues the further down the line with the uk’s conventional methods. Whos been leading the industry for 20/30 years now the uk or our European neighbours ???

Equilibrium Ireland

Visit site
Echo JG. It's wonderful that lad can sit so well but really, one shouldn't have to if you've been sympathetic towards the horse. It really doesn't take that much time to do it the right way so I don't know why this method still exists.

Terri

lyndsayberesford

Visit site
I think the jockey is amazing, quiet and calm also.

My dutch friend watched the video and apparently the commentary mentioned that the horse reacted like that to the leg on its side, so the lunge whip was being waved to send the horse forward rather than upward!

By the end the horse went lovely and was more accepting!

Wish i had half that sticking power! Beautiful horse though and it amazed me just how quiet the lad was hopping around to get on! Cant imagine ever being that agile!

I dont think there was any cruelty involved, its not like they stood there holding the horse and thrashing it with the lunge whip!

noodle_

Visit site
different over there i guess but by the 2nd part of the vid the horse looked better?#

bloody good jockey!

and reinforces why im sending mine away to be broken and im NOT doing it myself!! (i had thought i was but i truly value my limbs :D )

Equilibrium Ireland

Visit site
No cruelty but seriously, proper groundwork means horses just do not act in this manner. It is that simple. And for every 1 that can handle this, probably 2 others will have issues they don't need to have. Plus, all the groundwork is part of learning and letting your horse enjoy the process. They love to learn. Why make it difficult? Don't see the point.

To the poster that's sending her horse away because you think this might happen to you and you couldn't stick it? Highly unlikely your horse will be started this way and if this is the way, give Janet a call instead. Trust me, babies that are taking off in fright, yes fright, and bucking people off, they have not been done right and those people shouldn't be starting horses. Especially for money from other people.

Terri

kirstykate

Visit site
I'm sorry... I'm lost??!

Sorry quoted the wrong thing!! :eek: I was replying to

But then how many of these horses on the continent are affected by these methods of backing and end up with issues further down the line. I wonder if this horse will be one of those? It will be interesting to follow!

by FestiveBoomBoom

SS.89

Visit site
WOW :/ When tobe sicks his head between his legs I can normally sit to it but he would only ever do one or two .... How did he sit through that ?!

SS x

micramadam

Visit site
Thats just how its done on the continent, bridle on saddle on girthed up tight, they let them buck themselves out in the school, then they just get on and sit tight, then they are produced with by the rider. They dont mouth them up, lunge or line them. Bloomin good jockey though.

Bit of a sweeping statement!! Like I said earlier NOT in my area.
Very narrow minded to tar everyone with the same brush. There are very caring, very responsible yards on 'the continent' as well as in the UK. :mad:

kirstykate

Visit site
Bit of a sweeping statement!! Like I said earlier NOT in my area.
Very narrow minded to tar everyone with the same brush. There are very caring, very responsible yards on 'the continent' as well as in the UK. :mad:

I know they are very caring we deal with a few yards in Holland. Just stating that thats how they do saddle bridle and on, they dont faf like we do, and if anything I am saying they are better as they lead the world in producing top quality competition horses, if you had read my later post:)

Bigbenji

Visit site

Couldn't agree more!
This is why I back mine. Never ever has a horse I've started behaved like that and nor should they :rolleyes: