Epsm/pssm?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
There is l carnetine and acetyl l carnetine . L carnetine can work, but it was found that acetyl l carnetine (which I think is what the horse breaks l carnetine down into) is more effective.

Booboos

Visit site
For what it's worth there was a detailed thread on the FB group the other day where a number of biochemically informed posters suggested that Acetyl l-carnitine is the same as l-carnitine.

ycbm

Visit site
For what it's worth there was a detailed thread on the FB group the other day where a number of biochemically informed posters suggested that Acetyl l-carnitine is the same as l-carnitine.

I've done a quick Google. It looks like the vitamin E versus vitamin E discussion, hinging around bioavailability? In theory the active chemical is the same but alcar is l carnitine that's been adulterated? I'm too happy with my two as they are to risk changing, even if it's cheaper.

As an aside I've been wondering if some of the horses who 'go loopy' on alcar are just horses that were completely suppressed into bomb proof 'lazy' horses by the disease and are showing a natural exuberance. Not all of them, obviously, but maybe a few?

Last edited:

FfionWinnie

Visit site

They are similar as they are derived from the same amino acid but do not work in exactly the same way.

More importantly, we also still do not know if the Equimins one is a pure source or if it contains any fillers to make it more palatable to equines which could negatively affect a PSSM horse.

Several vets from different practices suggested I feed my horse selenivite e. This is a terrible suggestion for 3 reasons, 1 it's synthetic vit e, 2 at the rate required for sufficient vit e it would provide selenium poisoning for the horse as a side effect and 3 it's full of sugar. Off the shelf sups often have junk in them, and I could not find any list of ingredients on the link for the Equimins l carnitine.

paddy555

Visit site
As an aside I've been wondering if some of the horses who 'go loopy' on alcar are just horses that were completely suppressed into bomb proof 'lazy' horses by the disease and are showing a natural exuberance. Not all of them, obviously, but maybe a few?

I can only comment on my haflinger who is not PSSM but is PPID. He has been on prascend over 3 years and is very controlled on it, not lazy or bomb proof, just normal. On alcar he went loopy. Like in another world and not very safe to ride. Didn't behave like a horse and couldn't be reasoned with as you can a horse. Like he was high on drugs.

Alcar makes my PSSM horse keen, gets over excited, wants to go faster type keen. He behaves like an enthusiastic horse who thinks he feels very well.

ycbm

Visit site
I can only comment on my haflinger who is not PSSM but is PPID. He has been on prascend over 3 years and is very controlled on it, not lazy or bomb proof, just normal. On alcar he went loopy. Like in another world and not very safe to ride. Didn't behave like a horse and couldn't be reasoned with as you can a horse. Like he was high on drugs.

Alcar makes my PSSM horse keen, gets over excited, wants to go faster type keen. He behaves like an enthusiastic horse who thinks he feels very well.

That's interesting. That might lead to the suggestion that horses which are given alcar when alcar isn't the right solution to their issues go a bit doolallyon it. We certainly need more research on this disease, I'm convinced it's woefully under diagnosed.

Tiarella

www.myspace.com
Just thought I'd do an update...

My horse has improved so much to the point we are doing our first little 70 sj comp tomorrow. He is moving normally, my trainer said she can't believe how much he has improved and how supple he looks?! No longer feels weird to ride and gone back to his chilled self :D still very occasionally tucks up a little in morning but fine by afternoon. Taking it day by day but hopefully we are heading in the right direction :)

MadisonBelle

Visit site
This is a very interesting read....thank you all!!!

I do have 1 question tho so for those that feed the Vit E oil and alcar do you also feel other oil? Corn oil for example?

paddy555

Visit site
This is a very interesting read....thank you all!!!

I do have 1 question tho so for those that feed the Vit E oil and alcar do you also feel other oil? Corn oil for example?

I don't feed vit e as part of the "oil" it just happens to come in the form of vit E oil. I feed alcar, supplement, alfalfa pellets, linseed, copra, salt and magox.

Tiarella

www.myspace.com
Just found this thread again :)

After being on magnesium oxide 99.8% low iron from forage plus my horse is completely different. He would tuck up drastically (read previous posts) and just look awful behind. He has been on rye magnesium for almost a month and is only a tiny tiny bit tucked up - hoping it improves further and further :)

SEL

Visit site
Just found this thread again :)

After being on magnesium oxide 99.8% low iron from forage plus my horse is completely different. He would tuck up drastically (read previous posts) and just look awful behind. He has been on rye magnesium for almost a month and is only a tiny tiny bit tucked up - hoping it improves further and further :)
Great news - are you still feeding Alcar?

FlyingCircus

Visit site
To the OP, did you ever get a diagnosis on your boy? Sounds identical to mine at the moment...

Never came to a diagnosis as such.

Can't remember my last update but he had a hock medicated, which made no difference...had some time off, slowly built up and then has been right as rain ever since! The break did him the world of good and this past winter he has been in steady work throughout without any lameness problems.