Equine flu outbreak - anyone else thinking about curtailing plans?

be positive

Visit site
Confirmed case in Somerset, although no word on whether horse is vaccinated. My visit to look at holiday livery has been cancelled and I won't be hacking or going near any other yards. Local venues seem to be cancelling unaffiliated events.

I was just going to say the same but knowing where it is, if the same yard, I would be extremely surprised if is is not vaccinated, I am cancelling my half term liveries coming in just in case they have had any contact with the yard in question.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
BHS somerset (who ran a clinic/demo there yesterday) has confirmed millfield (somerset) horse was vaccinated (not sure with what) and was a school horse that doesn't leave the premises.

Auslander

Visit site
Chiltern Equine posted an hour ago on Faceache that there was a case now confirmed in Middlesex, but haven't put any more info. V odd post from a vets to be honest (not my vets!)

They are a bit special! One of their sites is less than 5 minutes drive from me, yet I use a different practice - go figure!

whiteflower

Visit site
Chiltern Equine posted an hour ago on Faceache that there was a case now confirmed in Middlesex, but haven't put any more info. V odd post from a vets to be honest (not my vets!)

I've just looked at that, and some of the irate comments and the reply they have just put on which basically says if you are a client of theirs you can ring them......very unprofessional way of going about things bearing in mind the concern on social media currently . It's been shared to one of the strangles/ehv/flu pages and people even questioned if it's true !! Doesnt say much for what people think of that practice !
I'm sure it will be updated with proper info on the aht website soon, the Somerset one is now on their and that's the only place I'll get information from as I know it's correct

Dynamo

Visit site
Info for those questioning why we react more strongly to an equine outbreak than to a human outbreak:

Flu is much more serious than having a cold. Genuine flu in humans causes deaths, as it does in horses. If there was an outbreak of swine flu, or bird flu, or some other serious type of flu in a school close to your children's school, and if the schools had been competing at joint sports events, you might well think about keeping your children off school as a precaution. It's not an over-reaction.

One of the horses that was first diagnosed has been PTS in the last 24 hours because of the severity of symptoms and non-response to treatment. If you extrapolate from that, one horse in however many are positively diagnosed so far... fewer than 20?... that potentially amounts to a high percentage of deaths, higher than in a human flu outbreak.

And it's easier to contain than a human flu outbreak, so why would we not contain it if we can?

One person's over-reaction is another person's sensible precaution.

bonny

Visit site
Info for those questioning why we react more strongly to an equine outbreak than to a human outbreak:

Flu is much more serious than having a cold. Genuine flu in humans causes deaths, as it does in horses. If there was an outbreak of swine flu, or bird flu, or some other serious type of flu in a school close to your children's school, and if the schools had been competing at joint sports events, you might well think about keeping your children off school as a precaution. It's not an over-reaction.

One of the horses that was first diagnosed has been PTS in the last 24 hours because of the severity of symptoms and non-response to treatment. If you extrapolate from that, one horse in however many are positively diagnosed so far... fewer than 20?... that potentially amounts to a high percentage of deaths, higher than in a human flu outbreak.

And it's easier to contain than a human flu outbreak, so why would we not contain it if we can?

One person's over-reaction is another person's sensible precaution.
This reads as complete and utter scaremonging, where is there any evidence that the handful of horses who have been found to be infected are even ill let alone dead ?

palo1

Visit site
This is taken from South Coast Equine Vets/Natalie McGoldrick Equine:-

Devastatingly, one of the UNVACCINATED horses identified with Influenza at the beginning of this week, has been euthanised due to severity of symptoms, despite intensive care.
This highlights the potential of this new strain to cause horrific consequences, and the absolute importance of VACCINATION. It may not completely prevent all symptoms, but all THREE flu vaccinations are resulting in much milder symptoms and quicker recoveries.
We have found that the level of immunity to ‘flu is decreasing too much to offer sufficient protection after 6 months, hence the recommendation for boosters.
Many thanks to the brilliant team at the Animal Health Trust, for the constant updates, and who are about to work through the weekend testing thousands of swabs and bloods.
Finally, remember that this virus is AIRBORNE.

I am sure many people will be thinking about the way vets earn money from vaccination as well as the established view that herd immunity is vital and can only be achieved through a more significant percentage of the population getting vaccinated. Even so, it is not scaremongering to report that 1 horse has had to be pts. Very sad.

bonny

Visit site
This is taken from South Coast Equine Vets/Natalie McGoldrick Equine:-

Devastatingly, one of the UNVACCINATED horses identified with Influenza at the beginning of this week, has been euthanised due to severity of symptoms, despite intensive care.
This highlights the potential of this new strain to cause horrific consequences, and the absolute importance of VACCINATION. It may not completely prevent all symptoms, but all THREE flu vaccinations are resulting in much milder symptoms and quicker recoveries.
We have found that the level of immunity to ‘flu is decreasing too much to offer sufficient protection after 6 months, hence the recommendation for boosters.
Many thanks to the brilliant team at the Animal Health Trust, for the constant updates, and who are about to work through the weekend testing thousands of swabs and bloods.
Finally, remember that this virus is AIRBORNE.

I am sure many people will be thinking about the way vets earn money from vaccination as well as the established view that herd immunity is vital and can only be achieved through a more significant percentage of the population getting vaccinated. Even so, it is not scaremongering to report that 1 horse has had to be pts. Very sad.
Of course it’s scaremongering, this horse has nothing to do with the racing situation....

The Trooper

Visit site
This has been the boot up the backside i need to get mine vaccinated, i've been putting it off long enough. I was only going to get tet but have booked full vacs for them all on Monday.

Little risk of exposure at our yard from other horses, only real concern is one who goes out hunting occasionally. Farriers/vets etc transmitting is my biggest concern.

Reactions: SEL

HashRouge

Visit site
Is the general advice to get boosters done if they were done more than 6 months ago then? I've got the vet coming in just over a week to do my gelding as he is due anyway, but now wondering if I should get a booster done for my Arab at the same time as she was done in July? It's probably an overreaction, but she's 26 and don't want to take any chances. They never leave the yard but all their neighbours do regularly.

bonny

Visit site
Is the general advice to get boosters done if they were done more than 6 months ago then? I've got the vet coming in just over a week to do my gelding as he is due anyway, but now wondering if I should get a booster done for my Arab at the same time as she was done in July? It's probably an overreaction, but she's 26 and don't want to take any chances. They never leave the yard but all their neighbours do regularly.
I sure your vet would say yes, personally I wouldn’t vaccinate an old mare who goes nowhere let alone increase her boosters

SEL

Visit site

Generally old, very young and immune compromised horses are more at risk than the general population so personally I'd vaccinate. It's a safe enough vaccine - side effects can be them being a bit 'off' for a day or so as the immune system kicks in, but that's better than full blown flu.

I was on a yard 30 odd years ago where they had flu go round with some very, very sick horses so I'm pro vaccination.

HashRouge

Visit site
I sure your vet would say yes, personally I wouldn’t vaccinate an old mare who goes nowhere let alone increase her boosters
SHE doesn't go anywhere, but the rest of the horses on the yard go out and about a lot (every weekend in most cases). She has contact with them, so she is still at risk.

catkin

Visit site

You and your vet are the only ones who know your situation. A good question to ask them, but the veterinary advice from your attending vet who knows your set-up, management regime and the history of the horses is the advice to follow.

Visit site

If nothing else it would at least tie both of your horses vaccs together so no need to get 2 call put fees at different times of the year! Every cloud has a silver lining and all that!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
[QUOTE="bonny, post: 13937654, member: personally I wouldn’t vaccinate an old mare who goes nowhere let alone increase her boosters

Marvellous advice, god help any frail or compromised horse in your care.
She's only interested in her racing fix, the horses' welfare doesn't come into it.

bonny

Visit site
She's only interested in her racing fix, the horses' welfare doesn't come into it.
If people aren’t interested in racing, then it doesn’t exist ! Bit weird to moan about someone who wants to watch it .......racehorse welfare is a big issue as it is without bringing all this into it.

Auslander

Visit site
I've just looked at that, and some of the irate comments and the reply they have just put on which basically says if you are a client of theirs you can ring them......very unprofessional way of going about things bearing in mind the concern on social media currently . It's been shared to one of the strangles/ehv/flu pages and people even questioned if it's true !! Doesnt say much for what people think of that practice !
I'm sure it will be updated with proper info on the aht website soon, the Somerset one is now on their and that's the only place I'll get information from as I know it's correct
I messaged the AHT with regards to that post, and got the following response.
"If you look at the statement in our website here: https://www.aht.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Equiflunet-outbreaks-2019-v4.pdf - this is the latest update from our laboratories, it is up-to-date to last night and is being updated regularly. We would expect a further update this evening if any more positives are diagnosed. Many thanks"

HashRouge

Visit site
You and your vet are the only ones who know your situation. A good question to ask them, but the veterinary advice from your attending vet who knows your set-up, management regime and the history of the horses is the advice to follow.
I will ask what they think when I ring up to confirm the appointment time for the other one (it's a zone visit). It's just that boosters for the other one wouldn't have occurred to me before reading this thread. I thought she would be fine as she was done within 12 months.

If nothing else it would at least tie both of your horses vaccs together so no need to get 2 call put fees at different times of the year! Every cloud has a silver lining and all that!
Haha yes, that's true! Although twice yearly visits are quite useful in some ways!

[QUOTE="bonny, post: 13937654, member: personally I wouldn’t vaccinate an old mare who goes nowhere let alone increase her boosters

Marvellous advice, god help any frail or compromised horse in your care.

I can't work out if bonny's advice is because she thinks that my mare isn't at risk (even though, as I said, other horses on the yard are out and about competing regularly) or because she thinks old horses aren't worth it. I'm assuming the former!

whiteflower

Visit site
I messaged the AHT with regards to that post, and got the following response.
"If you look at the statement in our website here: https://www.aht.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Equiflunet-outbreaks-2019-v4.pdf - this is the latest update from our laboratories, it is up-to-date to last night and is being updated regularly. We would expect a further update this evening if any more positives are diagnosed. Many thanks"

Hopefully it will show on tonight's update then as it was posted later yesterday eve. I'm assuming people commenting knew the practice and didn't seem too positive towards them ! People are clearly concerned

zaminda

Visit site
The ride I was helping at has been cancelled. As a yard we aren't competing or going to clinics at the moment but still hacking out although avoiding other horses.
This has to be taken seriously and it will effect far more than racing if we aren't careful. I believe it shows we need far tighter controls on vaccination at competions and going forward think passports should be checked at every venue before unloading even after this is past. One of our local venues is still going ahead but they are checking passports for their affiliated competitions only and not checking the unaffiliated ones which seems mad to me.

Snowfilly

Visit site
The riding school jumping I'm going to tomorrow is still going ahead, but with a ban on outside horses attending. Liveries and hirelings only. School hire to outside horses has been cancelled until further notice and a couple of hacking routes are being altered to avoid horses right up against the tracks.

We're in Cornwall so a good distance from the nearest case but it still pays to be careful.

The school owner is very elderly and remembers flu epidemics in the 60s / 70s that he's got no desire to see again. His point to pointer is jumping out of his skin, having been ready to run today but it was cancelled as well.