Equine flu outbreak - anyone else thinking about curtailing plans?

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Chiltern Equine posted an hour ago on Faceache that there was a case now confirmed in Middlesex, but haven't put any more info. V odd post from a vets to be honest (not my vets!)

They (Chiltern) have now updated that it's a confirmed case at Pinnerwood. Still not mentioned by AHT on the bulletin earlier tonight.

Edit: Middlesex doesn't exist now (silly vets) , this is actually the Hertfordshire one on AHT list so is confirmed.

Last edited:

catkin

Visit site
The riding school jumping I'm going to tomorrow is still going ahead, but with a ban on outside horses attending. Liveries and hirelings only. School hire to outside horses has been cancelled until further notice and a couple of hacking routes are being altered to avoid horses right up against the tracks.

We're in Cornwall so a good distance from the nearest case but it still pays to be careful.

The school owner is very elderly and remembers flu epidemics in the 60s / 70s that he's got no desire to see again. His point to pointer is jumping out of his skin, having been ready to run today but it was cancelled as well.

That all seems very sensible to me, well done that school.

Chuckieee

Visit site
The riding school jumping I'm going to tomorrow is still going ahead, but with a ban on outside horses attending. Liveries and hirelings only. School hire to outside horses has been cancelled until further notice and a couple of hacking routes are being altered to avoid horses right up against the tracks.

We're in Cornwall so a good distance from the nearest case but it still pays to be careful.

The school owner is very elderly and remembers flu epidemics in the 60s / 70s that he's got no desire to see again. His point to pointer is jumping out of his skin, having been ready to run today but it was cancelled as well.

Same here but they’re letting liveries go out compete and take part in clinics. THAT doesn’t make sense.

popsdosh

Visit site
Yes I of all people know that! Which is why I say ‘should’
I just worry that all those revaccinating are being sold a story and most believe by changing to those two think they are safe when clearly they are not.

Interestingly that yard has seen more vaccinated horses come up positive.

I have to admit for some reason this outbreak is being treated very seriously(well by racing) maybe because the Genie is out of the bottle so to speak . Back in the 2003 Newmarket outbreak 1300 horses tested positive and was contained as basically Newmarket was shut down and not the rest of the country.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Its the best option, I’ve had words with vets using the statement ‘fully covered’ :p and am trying not to sound too much like a broken record.

ihatework

Visit site
Maybe I’m giving the general population too much credit for their intelligence, but the official messages seem pretty clear to me 😉

The strain of flu seems to be a variant.
The 2 vaccinations recommended are the closest to covering that strain and whilst won’t necessarily prevent the infection it’s looking like the symptoms are far milder than for unvaccinated horses.
There is a known decline in effectiveness over time (hence the FEI stance on 6 months) and therefore to maximise immunity and minimise chance of infection boosters for those over 6 months is not unreasonable.

For £30-40, I think that is a cost worthy of the risk-benefit. Slightly annoying timing for mine FEI wise, but that’s small fry.

ester

Visit site
I do wish we knew how long ago the affected horses had been vaccinated.

Most of the time the general population baffles me, I’ve banned myself from Facebook groups ATM and then people tag me 😡

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Popsdosh, it is still early days, but an early finding is that vaccinated horses are showing milder symptoms than unvaccinated horses. This is from a small sample, so the situation may change again, but I would still prefer to have vaccinated horses with a recent booster than unvaccinated horses.

image.jpeg

Last edited:

ihatework

Visit site
Ester, you are one of those I can thank for giving the confidence for taking my neds barefoot. However, the barefoot community who I now interact with also seems to have a higher than normal proportion of anti vaxxers, anti ruggers, anti bits etc :eek:.

Don’t worry, those lot don’t actually ride their horses anywhere anyway 😂

ester

Visit site
I’m only in one barefoot group, I was warned off all the others!

I find a couple of farrier groups just as interesting ;).

popsdosh

Visit site
Popsdosh, it is still early days, but an early finding is that vaccinated horses are showing milder symptoms than unvaccinated hirses. This is from a small sample, so the situation may change again, but I would still prefer to have vaccinated horses with a recent booster than unvaccinated horses.

View attachment 29528
Not to be argumentative but in my view vaccinated horses that are not fully protected may be more at risk of long term damage to itself ( being worked with mild symptoms) and to other horses . I know some wont agree . I am not an anti vaccine , but i do like to know my horse has a problem rather than it being hidden by non effective vaccines.

Ester im not quite sure on what evidence you say that vaccinated horses are showing milder symptoms. Surely the Suffolk horses suggest they may not be as somebody thought their symptoms suggested they had it. This was before this all blew up so less likely to be overeacting. I would also suggest that they will have been vaccinated more recently than 6months due to normal practice for 2yos

Last edited:

{138171}

Visit site
They (Chiltern) have now updated that it's a confirmed case at Pinnerwood. Still not mentioned by AHT on the bulletin earlier tonight.

Edit: Middlesex doesn't exist now (silly vets) , this is actually the Hertfordshire one on AHT list so is confirmed.

Um. Since when does Middlesex not exist and who gave you that information?? I can assure you it does exist! Myself my family and my friends all live in Middlesex!

ester

Visit site
It’s been reported by numerous vets they could all be wrong of course. It’s not really a massive sample size.

The Fuzzy Furry

Visit site
Um. Since when does Middlesex not exist and who gave you that information?? I can assure you it does exist! Myself my family and my friends all live in Middlesex!

According to the AHT it doesn't! Hence why they changed the vet reporting from Middx to Herts..... but the vets still insist on Middx

Officially it was abolished in 1965, the GLC was formed. Middlesex is still used as a reference by those who live there tho :)

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
There are two groups of infected horses in Suffolk. The non vaccinated ones were sicker and needed more support than the vaccinated ones, and one non vaccinated horse had to be PTS.

Screen shot of yesterday's AHT update (the most recent one).

image.jpeg
ETA Plus there are two more cases, in vaccinated 2yo Tbs, at part of the same Suffolk site, reported yesterday.

Last edited:

{138171}

Visit site
According to the AHT it doesn't! Hence why they changed the vet reporting from Middx to Herts..... but the vets still insist on Middx

Officially it was abolished in 1965, the GLC was formed. Middlesex is still used as a reference by those who live there tho :)

Sorry but that is simply not true. Middlesex has never been 'abolished' its as prevelant as Essex or Hertfordshire. The AHT have it wrong and the vets are right. I assume the vets are a Middlesex based vet therefore know exactly where the poor horse/s reside.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Sorry but that is simply not true. Middlesex has never been 'abolished' its as prevelant as Essex or Hertfordshire. The AHT have it wrong and the vets are right. I assume the vets are a Middlesex based vet therefore know exactly where the poor horse/s reside.

No, seriously, it is not an official county anymore.

{138171}

Visit site
Screenshot-20190210-135249-com-android-chrome.jpg

The Fuzzy Furry

Visit site

Dont shoot me down! And no need to have sent that PM either! 🤬 Blimey, unwind your knickers!

Rutland, Cumbernauld etc etc are still referred to by locals, but they no longer exist as counties either!

SEL

Visit site
Ester, you are one of those I can thank for giving the confidence for taking my neds barefoot. However, the barefoot community who I now interact with also seems to have a higher than normal proportion of anti vaxxers, anti ruggers, anti bits etc :eek:.

I'm on that particular FB group - its a good thing I've been a bit too busy to rant on the anti vax post, but there's others on a few more forums I follow. More frightening is the number of supposedly intelligent people I know in real life who don't vaccinate their horses.

popsdosh

Visit site
I'm on that particular FB group - its a good thing I've been a bit too busy to rant on the anti vax post, but there's others on a few more forums I follow. More frightening is the number of supposedly intelligent people I know in real life who don't vaccinate their horses.
Wind your horns in!!!since when has it been compulsory to vaccinate my horses. As much as I respect your freedom to do yours dont criticise those that dont. Clearly the vaccinations have done a wonderful job on this one .

I have never had a horse with equine flu ,nothing remarkable you say, however I have lost two young thoroughbreds with botched vaccinations in the last 15yrs. So to me its a no brainer!

Last edited:
Reactions: tda

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Popsdosh, sorry about your two lost youngsters but you still vaccinate against tetanus, though, surely?

Re the Middlesex/Herts thing, here's the latest AHT update on tonight, no new cases reported (phew) but :eek: :-

UPDATE: 10 February 2019

New in this update:
• CORRECTION – Case incorrectly reported yesterday (9 Feburary 2019) as being in

Hertfordshire but should have been reported as being in MIDDLESEX. AHT would like to apologise for this error.

Do we need to eat humble pie?