European eventing champs SJ

caladria

Visit site
Ah, quite pleased to see Ingrid win with Hale Bob, he's a fantastic horse and she clearly thinks the world of him. Still not used to seeing Michi and Chipmunk - he's still Julia Krajewski's horse in my head! Still if they're that good after less than a year together, they're going to be terrifying at Tokyo.

lannerch

Visit site
Just gone on here to see what’s gone on as as I’m out , all team gb says is we won a silver so thanks for the posts as they certainly tell me more. Think we deffo need Ros and Tom to begin to catch up with the Germans

Fellewell

Visit site
Shame for the French but lovely to see Cathal Daniels in the medals.
Well done Team GB!
I was just bemoaning the fact that the Germans had done it again when my OH announced that today is the 80th anniversary of the start of WW2. They just won't let it lie will they?;)

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I think it’s good that we have a challenge and something to chase on the run up to the olympics. Plus we were missing two of our best horse/rider combinations.. Nice to see Kitty’s relatively young horse sail through too - definitely one to have on the shortlist.. We’re going to be enough of a challenge for the Germans hopefully..

Chianti

Visit site
I think it’s good that we have a challenge and something to chase on the run up to the olympics. Plus we were missing two of our best horse/rider combinations.. Nice to see Kitty’s relatively young horse sail through too - definitely one to have on the shortlist.. We’re going to be enough of a challenge for the Germans hopefully..

Weren't they 20 points clear of GB?

lannerch

Visit site
Weren't they 20 points clear of GB?
They were today , but they are still beatable last years weg showed that.
We have a lot to do to make sure they are not that ahead at the Olympics next year but we have the talent and the horsepower so hopefully as a result of today will work all the harder to ensure we can beat them next time , and for that matter the strong nations eg Australia, New Zealand , The USA who were not there today.

{97702}

Visit site
Just unbelievably gutted that MJ had a fence down.... he is the best event rider in the world, he so should be European champion! Hopefully he will have cemented his relationship with Chipmunk by Tokyo

Annagain

Visit site
Has anybody else wondered whether it’s really awkward for OT being on a team with his ex and two of her best friends? I know it was all a long time ago but I can’t imagine it’s the most comfortable situation to be in.

caladria

Visit site
They've been at the same competitions and been in the same training squads and the same teams (on and off) for the best part of a decade since then, so I imagine it's pretty much ancient history.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Just watched on catchup. A pretty decisive end to what was a really good competition. So pleased we managed to do enough for silver in the end, and that's a great result for Kitty.

Crikey that car crash round from the one Italian though :eek:. Also interesting watching some of the Hannovarian studbook horses that some of the younger German riders have been competing - they are a noticeably fine build in comparison to the almost heavy set giants that typified the hannovarians 15 or so years ago. They're looking quite similar to trakheners these days.

So has anyone done the stats on how much of a dressage competition it turned out to be ;)? I think there was a handful that finished on their dressage score (maybe 5?), but every one of those that I can think of was a very high class performance

lannerch

Visit site
Just watched on catchup. A pretty decisive end to what was a really good competition. So pleased we managed to do enough for silver in the end, and that's a great result for Kitty.

Crikey that car crash round from the one Italian though :eek:. Also interesting watching some of the Hannovarian studbook horses that some of the younger German riders have been competing - they are a noticeably fine build in comparison to the almost heavy set giants that typified the hannovarians 15 or so years ago. They're looking quite similar to trakheners these days.

So has anyone done the stats on how much of a dressage competition it turned out to be ;)? I think there was a handful that finished on their dressage score (maybe 5?), but every one of those that I can think of was a very high class performance
Happily the show jumping turned it back into a jumping competition as unlike the cross country the time was a little harder to achieve.

But imo especially in an Olympic, European or world championship the cross country should be the most influential as this is what sets it different to show jumping and dressage, and at the end of the day why we all love the sport.

And why do we dampen down the standard so lesser country’s can compete even in the Olympics it’s the only sport I know that does?

Bring on Burghley at least that is in no way a dressage competition and harder than any Olympics !

Agree about the change in type of the Hanoverians , they all are beginning to look a lot more TB .

Last edited:

alexomahony

Visit site
Really enjoyed watching the Europeans this weekend! What a competition!

Loving seeing MJ back at top level - I imagine him and Ingrid will be quite a formidable force at the Olympics. I'm hoping the Germans are taking note of their kinder training methods and seeing how it pays off.

The British team did really well considering we were missing two of our top combinations, and a huge shame about OT's one miss, but that's horse, luckily it didn't affect the team score.

The Italian was very much out of order to wallop the horse like that - I think it looked like he hit his chin on the horse's neck when it stopped, and he lashed out in temper. I'm glad the crowd boo'ed him. He was wrong coming into the 1st part, plus the horse having a look at the water tray meant the horse lost too much momentum to carry on through the double. A pat and try again would be much more confidence building for the horse.

Interestingly, I'm surprised the planks never came down more often - I'm not sure if it was just the camera angle, but all the horses seemed to jump it very flat.

XC was FAB!! The drop was HUGE and I thought the course really separated the best from the top.

Velcrobum

Visit site
OK Stats time for double clears:

Ingrid Klimke German Team
Cathal Daniels Irish Team
Ludwig Svennerstal Swedish Team
Louise Romeike " "
Nicholas Touzaint French Team

Sandra Auffarth German Individual
Anna Siemer " "
Anna-Katherine Vogel " "

Kitty King and Kristina Cook were the only Brits to SJ Clear.

There were a total of 20 XC clear within the time.

windand rain

Visit site
Although the Olympics carries the biggest cudos it usually isnt even on a par with the likes of Badminton and Burghley think but not sure as memory fails last time they said the average route was at 2* to give developing countries a chance to compete

Annagain

Visit site
And why do we dampen down the standard so lesser countries can compete even in the Olympics it’s the only sport I know that does?

While I agree it's a shame, it's the only sport really where there's a fixed standard - being able to run/swim/cycle as fast as possible or jump as high/far as possible or be the best at gymnastics/tennis/table tennis doesn't require a 'standard' as such although there are qualifying criteria (as is the case with equestrian sports). It's a balance between testing the best and ensuring wide enough participation I suppose and one I'd be prepared to take when it's at risk of being dropped completely from the Olympics. If there were only say, 12 (rich) countries capable of going to the Olympics if was a 'proper' 5* test it would probably be dropped pretty quickly. On that global stage with a lot of occasional viewers, horse welfare would also be a consideration - it's a shop window so very tired horses or nasty falls wouldn't be ideal. I'm not saying 5* events result in that but there will be horses there who haven't done many if any.

GB needs to do a lot of work on dressage over the next year!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
agree entirely AA

I want to see olympic sports that are open to as many nations as possible. Horse sports are already wildly elitist, I would not wish to add to that.
and lets face it, old 3*/new 4* is not a challenge to be sniffed at.
particularly as the olympic venues often have challenging terrain +/- climate and can be spectacular visually to add difficulty to the questions in a way that does not punish less experienced horses & riders.

Annagain

Visit site
agree entirely AA

I want to see olympic sports that are open to as many nations as possible. Horse sports are already wildly elitist, I would not wish to add to that.
and lets face it, old 3*/new 4* is not a challenge to be sniffed at.
particularly as the olympic venues often have challenging terrain +/- climate and can be spectacular visually to add difficulty to the questions in a way that does not punish less experienced horses & riders.
Yes - wasn't it Rio where they added moving water for the first time to add a distraction rather than difficulty to the water?