Europeans cross country thread

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
IMHO the coverage is suffering badly from not displaying the horse/rider names on the footage.

Glad I printed off the start list and attached it to my trusty clipboard, I am continually referring to it to see which combo I'm viewing. It's a twisty old course, not very pleasant viewing, I doubt the horses are enjoying it either.

teapot

Visit site
No you're right, it's unfair in the individuals too. Perhaps they should be banned from seeing info/watching previous rounds too and info only allowed to be passed on if a safety issue.

How do you enforce it though?

I wonder whether Scotty would have been commentator if he wasn't broken?

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Yes it would be much better if you could see who they were. I wish the live score feed went in rider order, not in order that they're placed from yesterday. It would be good to see who is coming next. (No clipboard here).

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
How do you enforce it though?

I wonder whether Scotty would have been commentator if he wasn't broken?

Well no TVs in the rider area for a start. And no contact between team members/managers once completed.

Come on Ros! Hope they show her.

What happened to Scotty?

Last edited:

teapot

Visit site
Last edited:

caladria

Visit site
Like I said, unless you're planning on banning anyone who participates in any event anywhere from watching other people's rounds or talking to each other, then what happens in teams is just what happens at every event anywhere but slightly more organised!

The last to go in a jump off (at any level!) goes into the ring with more info than whoever goes first. The last to go at Badminton and Burghley has the opportunity to watch most of the field and learn a thing or two.. they might even be on speaking terms with some of them! Even the last kid to go at a fun showjumping round has the opportunity to see if there's one fence/line that all the other kids struggled at and maybe their mate who went first will tell them even if they didn't see.

The first rule of Pony Club definitely isn't "don't talk about Pony Club"!!

If F1 has no problems with one driver acting as a rear gunner for their teammate with a mechanical problem, and protecting them for a good team result instead of being left to be picked off by rivals, and it can thrive in those conditions, then eventing probably isn't being harmed by mixing team and individual events either...

Last edited:

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Like I said, unless you're planning on banning anyone who participates in any event anywhere from watching other people's rounds or talking to each other, then what happens in teams is just what happens at every event anywhere but slightly more organised!

The last to go in a jump off (at any level!) goes into the ring with more info than whoever goes first. The last to go at Badminton and Burghley has the opportunity to watch most of the field and learn a thing or two.. they might even be on speaking terms with some of them! Even the last kid to go at a fun showjumping round has the opportunity to see if there's one fence/line that all the other kids struggled at and maybe their mate who went first will tell them even if they didn't see.

If F1 has no problems with one driver acting as a rear gunner for their teammate with a mechanical problem, and protecting them for a good team result instead of being left to be picked off by rivals, and it can thrive in those conditions, then eventing probably isn't being harmed by mixing team and individual events either...

Yes I get what you're saying. I just don't think it's a very good team sport. Same as F1or the Tour de France, for that matter.

Anyway let's agree to disagree and watch!

kirstyfk

Visit site
Wow!

After the the few problems I thought it was going to be a load of clears! How wrong!

Why do I have to go my friends birthday lunch?

only_me

Visit site
The course is looking to be maybe a bit too tricky on angles - horses appear to be reading the fence but not wanting\able to jump.
Of course Michael Jung will come on and make it look like a Prenovice :p

TheOldTrout

Completely Unknown Member
Visit site
I missed the early runners - just saw what happened to Bettina Hoy. How heartbreaking for her after that dressage score.

caladria

Visit site
I think by the end of it there'll be a lot of stops counting for team scores. I think Ros Canter's clear is going to be pretty important for team GB, and Sweden have got two riders home without jumping faults now, which is more than anyone else can say..

Live team scores here though of course mainly meaningless at this point: http://results.strzegom2017.pl/live/nationcup01.html