Euthanasia, be there while it happens?

angrovestud

Visit site
neddynesbitt Thank you I am ok I am blessed as we bred her stallion son wh is so like his mum, It must be still so raw for you but you did the right thing its so very hard.

Chestnutmare

Visit site
Oh I am so sorry to those that are going through this heartbraking time.
I had my horse of a lifetime PTS 2 yrs ago August due to Severe Colitis after he had been in the equine horspital for a week in ITU I had to call it a day with him as he was getting no better and the look in his eye just spoke a thousand words to me... he had enough!

So with that I asked the vet to do the deed, with that I was already balling me eyes out I took him out of his stable and round to 'the area' a hugely deep straw barn he must have thought he was already in heaven - he was laminitic and had COPD so no straw allowed... he was allowed to much on that then whilst I fed him a bucket full of fresh grass and apples I just knew it had to be done the last final thing of my kindness to him... vet then sedated him as he already had the catherter in was easier to do, I stood holding him stroking his face gently telling him over and over again how much I loved him and thanked him for everything and how sorry I was... I stayed right til the end he went down but his body twisted straw hanging out of his mouth (I laughed amongst all the tears) as it was so typical of him to be awkward and the straw hanging out of his mouth... bless him I stayed a while cuddling him laid over his body stroking him speaking gently to him I stayed for only about 20mins, I took a lock of mane too, I certainly wasn't going to be there for the collection but kept telling the vets to make sure he wasn't loaded awful or that he broke his legs or anything (i've known this to happen).

I collected his ashes a week or two later and he stays with me in my lounge where I often chat away like a loon to him, but it reassures me at the same time.

I miss my boy so much everyday i think about him he was a big part of my life for 10yrs just glad I gave him 10 yrs of happiness and love

It's never a nice though or act to do but the most unselfish kindess we could ever do for out loved animals.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
hey guys
sorry for the morbid subject, but my 11 year old new forrest has been a suffer of recurring laminitis for about 5 years now since he was poisoned and went into liver failour, anyway he is a very poorly boy, the bute seems to no longer give him relife and the spark in his eyes have gone he just seems very misserable.
I know its time to let go.
i was just wondering if anyone has been there with their horse at the end when they are euthanised, I think I would like to be but I know it will be very traumatic, any advice or experiences would be appreciated?
thank you

i was there when my pony died of colic and my first mare of a unknown illness,

I will always be with them and always have the injection I like to hold them reassure them when they slip away

Spellbound13

Visit site
So it finally felt right to scatter Olivers ashes on saturday.
the weather was really frosty cold, but really sunny, Just how Oliver used to love it.

I chose a spot on beacon fell, with a beautiful view, there was a small reef and holly bush by the wall where somone else has spread ashes, i ddnt read the card on the reef/bush, but it felt nice knowing he wouldnt be alone up there weather it be a person or an animal with him.
In a few weeks we are going to spread my mums ashes there too so they can be together.

I miss him everyday, but I know where he is and hes a happy free horse now xx

Skippys Mum

Visit site
I always choose injection and I always stay with them. Yes its upsetting but its the last, best thing you can ever do for them. The upsetting bit is the making the decision, not the actual act.

My little pony was pts about 8 weeks ago when she colicked. Once she went down (which was more or less instantaneous) I just sat beside her for a wee while till the vet assured me she was away.

Aidey

Visit site
Not read the whole post but OP I am sorry you are in this position.

When I was 11 I had a 27 year old pony who was kicked right at the bottom of the field, I went to bring him in one night and found one hind leg hanging and he was stood in a pool of blood, vet was called and his cannon bone was completely shattered and there was nothing that could have been done, he was euthanized on the spot while I was there but an adult was shielding me the moment he actually went down, as others have said whilst the organs are finally shutting down there are noises and movements after the horse has been pronounced dead and as a child this did give me a little false hope/more worrying because my mind didn't want to accept he was gone.

I was only a child but I am glad I was there with him in his final moments and in future when the time comes that my beloved girl's time is up I will be there with her, til the end.

kylee86

Visit site
my id x tb was pts aged 15 he had an infection that went into his heart i was there all the way with him he was very peacefull like he was going to sleep the vet sedated him but he was so week he got on the floore so i got down with him the vet gave him his injection and he put his head on my knee and closed his eyes the whole time i was stroking and talking to him i was there for his pick up which was destressing but i stayed with him and stood and watch the trailor disapear.
my sistes horse was pts 2 yrs aago again i stayed unfortunatly he couldnt be picked up till nxt day it was awful to see him a day later but stayed fo collection i advise anybody that sees there body as still there horse not to stay for pick up as i had to tell myself that his body was just a shell and he was in a nice place looking over us as the 2 times they have picked up they arnt gentle with them

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I have been there for two of mine so far a 25 year old and 5 year old.

Both went peacefully to sleep in my arms.
The only way I would do it.

I only use injections so they know what they are they have them every year with jabs.

The also hard thing is when a Jovian parcel force guy says * I got a parcel for you is it your birthday*???????????

* No I said its my horses ashes *:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

If you have a sympathetic vet she will give a sedative first make him relaxed then the overdose. Its heartbreaking but
for me its the kindest - cleanest way.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
So it finally felt right to scatter Olivers ashes on saturday.
the weather was really frosty cold, but really sunny, Just how Oliver used to love it.

I chose a spot on beacon fell, with a beautiful view, there was a small reef and holly bush by the wall where somone else has spread ashes, i ddnt read the card on the reef/bush, but it felt nice knowing he wouldnt be alone up there weather it be a person or an animal with him.
In a few weeks we are going to spread my mums ashes there too so they can be together.

I miss him everyday, but I know where he is and hes a happy free horse now xx

What a lovely thing to do :) spellbound
I have got Bonnies ashes and Biscuits ashes and my cats.

I am leaving instructions when I die my ashes are to be put in the gorund at parents garden with all the other pets over the years dogs- cats. And all my pets ashes will be put in the ground with me.

It is not an easy thing to be present for and it takes guts but it is a lovely thing to be able to do for your four legged friend. Best of luck and feel free to PM at any stage if you have more questions.

No its not easy but I dont think it takes guts , most horses are ill when that time comes and mentally you think about it and prepare for it , so not so hard when your watching them suffer. Its worst when it happens in a freak accident or illness when they were healthy only a short time before.

Last edited:

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I would recommend that, even if you feel able to be present whilst your horse is PTS, you are not their when they are collected. Perhaps leave them as the lorry arrives. The collection CAN be very difficult. It is also easier for the collectors if you are not there.

I would not have it another way . Both times I was there and waited for the truck to arrive. I have seen in the past messy stained trucks ( not going into detail ) . My hubby said come on into house / common room .

I said first I want to see in the truck make sure its clean if its not she isn't going in there.!" both times truck spotless, satisfied I turned heard the commotion cried into hubby then came out when she was in. Watched the truck go slowly like a hearse down the drive only when out of site did i break down .

This I will do for EVERY 1 of mine

Spellbound13

Visit site
No its not easy but I dont think it takes guts , most horses are ill when that time comes and mentally you think about it and prepare for it , so not so hard when your watching them suffer. Its worst when it happens in a freak accident or illness when they were healthy only a short time before.

i completely agree, my friends horse died from colic a few weeks before, it was rather horrific and very traumatising for all involved, he fought for hours and just gave up and died in the stable.

im so glad i got to choose the sircumstance and the day and time, and it was such a beautiful day and sunny, it did shock me how fast he went down after the injection, my vet was absolutly amazing, she came over and stroked him and played with him and talked to him, she explained everything fully to me, including how he would breath really deeply before he would fall, and she explained how he would just drop and how she would check him over and over and over again to make sure he was gone.

This sounds odd, But it felt good knowing I could finally stop his pain, and that it was my choice and it haddnt beem taken out of my controll like if id found him with broken leg or and accident or colic.

it was such a beautiful thing to go through, so so peacful, you really feel at one with your horse, everything goes so quiet and its just you 2.

The vet said he was the first horse shes ever seen with his ears forward at the end, so it proves they still listen even when sedated.

thank you everyone, lovely to hear everyones storys xx

Spellbound13

Visit site
I would not have it another way . Both times I was there and waited for the truck to arrive. I have seen in the past messy stained trucks ( not going into detail ) . My hubby said come on into house / common room .

I said first I want to see in the truck make sure its clean if its not she isn't going in there.!" both times truck spotless, satisfied I turned heard the commotion cried into hubby then came out when she was in. Watched the truck go slowly like a hearse down the drive only when out of site did i break down .

This I will do for EVERY 1 of mine

I wish i had looked into the truck, but the collection people came very highly recomended to me by my vet and my farrier, he was my farriers best friend and part of his family as he described him, also I spoke to him quite a lot first and got to ask him many questions which made it all better, my Vet stayed with Oliver whilst he was loaded, I watched from the fromt of the truck, I couldnt see much, but i could see his bum and tail, it was very noisy and I was prepared for this, but the man said he had fallen in suce a way it was perfect for loading him so he went on really easily, and he was the only one in the truck as they thought it more ethical to collect one horse at a time.
They also emailed me dailey to let me know he was being looked after and he was with them at all times.
I agree I did see his body as just a shell after, and I sat with him for over an hour, with the vet aswell, as she said she likes to stay for at least an hour after to make sure he was gone, and the collection man waited off the yard really patiently untill I was ready, even though we arranged a time, he said he would wait for hours and hours if I wanted.

I would DEFFO do it all again xx

Tiffany

Visit site
I'm really sorry to hear about our boy. I was there when my TB mare was PTS by injection. It broke my heart but it was a calm, peaceful end & I'm so pleased I stayed with her although I'm not so sure I could have stayed had she been shot though? Do what you feel comfortable with. ((((hugs))))

applecart14

Visit site
I agree I did see his body as just a shell after, and I sat with him for over an hour, with the vet aswell, as she said she likes to stay for at least an hour after to make sure he was gone, and the collection man waited off the yard really patiently untill I was ready, even though we arranged a time, he said he would wait for hours and hours if I wanted.

Strange comment from a vet. She should know within five minutes if they've gone or not, it shouldn't take her an hour to reach that conclusion. I'm glad she's not my vet.

As for the collection man, that was very kind of him, bless him.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
My old boy had laminitis/cushings; and the vet and I had discussed the fact that we might be looking at the PTS decision.

On the morning of "the deed"; before the vet came, I turned him out into the lush, deep, lovely green pasture that he had been denied for so long. I'll never forget the look on his face when he saw it and grabbed his first mouthfull of the green stuff - that alone made the difficult decision we were having to make, worthwhile, just for that.

The vet was super, very understanding, and explained everything. I stayed with him right through the first injection (sedative) - then the vet explained that the next injection would be the "final" one and there would be no going back, this was it. The vet told me I would need to be careful of his feet etc which might flail around - and as soon as the injection took effect he then grabbed hold of his lead-rope to guide him down. Once he was down, it was all very peaceful, he just went to sleep basically, and then the vet listened for his heartbeat and told me when it had stopped.

He said I could spend as much time as I liked with him, but when the people came to pick up the body, to not be there for that - and I took that advice.

I also took some mane & tail off him. I felt awful doing it though, it just didn't seem right to just hack it off.

So sorry for you OP. Its never an easy choice, but at least you're facing up to it and trying to do the right thing for your equine friend.

applecart14

Visit site
Strange comment from a vet. She should know within five minutes if they've gone or not, it shouldn't take her an hour to reach that conclusion. I'm glad she's not my vet.

As for the collection man, that was very kind of him, bless him.

Ooh I've just realised I may have misread that post. Did you mean gone as in 'left the yard with the collection man'? Or did you actually mean gone as in 'dead'?

x

Luci07

Visit site
There is no right or wrong way to do it. Being in pieces when the deed is being done will not help your horse. I held a friends horse who was shot as she really could not face it and the horse knew me. Hardest bit was "prepping" beforehand knowing what was going to happen. When my own oldie was PTS, the vet actually asked me to walk away as I was almost incoherent at the time.

So, you do whats right for the horse, you must also do what is right for you. As my vet pointed out, me in floods of tears was only going to upset my elderly boy even more. I said my goodbyes and walked away.

It is the absolute worst of sharing your life with animals is when they have to leave you.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Its a horrid time when this happens Here's a tribute to a special friend

Treasure Friend

Blessed was the day you came into my life
I will treasure this day for ever and for always
You accepted me as I accepted you
I trusted you as you trusted me
Together we travelled through fields high and low
The wind in your mane blowing it in my face
I clung to your neck as we ran swiftly through the grass
Your hooves barely making a sound as we were in full flight.

You are as gentle and loving now as you were all those years back
Never been any sort of animosity towards me
You are the perfect companion for me I hope I am the perfect friend for you
You have looked after me through thick and thin
As I now have to look after you in your time of need.
You are so brave despite the pain
You maintain the brightness in your eyes and the will to fight

I am here for you always my love
And always will be for as long as you need me
I will never give up as long as you have the will to live
I have the will to nurse you
I hope and pray
That maybe some day
I will see you running free again
Someday soon
Until the time comes to say goodbye.