Euthanasia which method is the more favourable option,why?

NIKKI1974

Visit site
my old girl was pts by injection .i know everyone has their own individual ideas.some times circumstances may leave you no option.i have seen both methods used and for me it was less disturbing when the injection method was used. i wanted the last vision of my horse to be pleasant. sorry such a morbid subject but i just wantd other peoples views only if you think its ok to ask!

Blizzard

Visit site
I would personally go for injection, i know some people like to send their horse to the hounds, to be part of the hunt,but for me I want my horse to be in his home, and i want to be with him.

I know some people prefer the bullet but not me, but I guess that is for my own selfish reasons of wanting the end to be as untraumatic as possible.

JM07

Visit site
can...worms..opened...

i would, everytime have mine shot, if they are fit to travel, then at Potters, if not at home by knackerman...or hunt.

after a conversation a few weeks back, which i was unaware of, i may offer them to Langford Vet School to see if any "bits and pieces" may be of use to the studens.

Minnies_Mum

Visit site
JM07, just out of interest why would you go for shooting? I've seen both methods and to me injection seems less traumatic for the people, but I'm not sure whether it makes much difference to the horse.

Also, nice of you to think of sending them to the vet school, I know a lot of people would hate the idea of us messing around with bits of their horse, but we do need cadavers to learn from!

appyjude

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
can...worms..opened...

i would, everytime have mine shot, if they are fit to travel, then at Potters, if not at home by knackerman...or hunt.

after a conversation a few weeks back, which i was unaware of, i may offer them to Langford Vet School to see if any "bits and pieces" may be of use to the studens.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto - I have lost two in as many years and, after the horrible experience of injection, I would go with the above anytime.

if you have a mare who you are losing in foaling you can't use the milk if you have them injected thereby making a very horrible situation worse by needing to panic over colustrum.
shocked.gif

JM07

Visit site
i have used both versions....the injection took about 90 secs...far too long winded even for me, who i think is pretty tough...

have had an old boy shot at home by knackermn as he was far too tottery to travel 25 miles to potters...they were based nearer to me then...

and have taken others to Taunton for one reason or another...

the vet school thing interests me...i have 8 at home ATM, and if any of them could help science in any way, then i'd allow them to be used....

JM07

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

..in fact when I am old, creaky and a bit dribbly I am hoping they will come out and give me a dignified end too.

[/ QUOTE ]

me too...........
laugh.gif

Fairynuff

Visit site
If poss, injection.If not poss due to crisis etc then bullet. Ive helped with both and the injection done as it s done here in Italy is to all intents and purposes a gen anaesthetic and a dose of 'Tanex' given when the horse is already KO. The 'Tanex' stops the lungs/heart and is pretty instantaneous. M.

Bossanova

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The vet school just go grab whatever they want from Potters anyway, no need to donate. We used to pop down and gather intestines for worm studies. Fun!!

Bossanova

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
oh...good so they'd be doing some good anyway!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, best if you dont worm them for a couple of years before they go too, lots of fun wormies for students to play with
grin.gif

Bossanova

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
So which is quickest and most humane for the animal then ?, I aint interested in whats convenient for the human.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bullet

JM07

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
So which is quickest and most humane for the animal then ?, I aint interested in whats convenient for the human.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shot...BANG..dead before they drop.....

didnt personally like witnessing the "injection" method...

inject...stagger about...fall to the floor.....top-up.....wait..dead...

far too long winded for me......

fizzer

Visit site
have witnessed both, shooting horrendous had very bad experience as knacker man missed and horse staggering around, took 3 more shots and lots blood and very distressed owner, awful to watch. i know it was probably an isolated incident and most dont make these errors but it has most def put me off, injection on all occasions has been very peaceful

Bright_Spark

Visit site
I think it would depend on the situation. I would prefer to use the injection method, unless the situation meant a bullet would be best for the horse.

Have only ever witnessed the injection method- in cases where the horse was already down and it was over within seconds.

For my old girl, I'd rather she was injected, but again this would depend on the situation- I want what is best for her.

Cobland

Visit site
Agree with kuki_nage, would depend on situation. I would prefer injection but for those that cant bury etc, that want to send horse to slaughter. If im right then slaughter yards wont accept horses that have been pts by injection.

JM07

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Agree with kuki_nage, would depend on situation. I would prefer injection but for those that cant bury etc, that want to send horse to slaughter. If im right then slaughter yards wont accept horses that have been pts by injection.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats a contrary in terms CC...Why on earth would an Abattoir want an already dead horse???

PrincessDana

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
JM07, just out of interest why would you go for shooting? I've seen both methods and to me injection seems less traumatic for the people, but I'm not sure whether it makes much difference to the horse.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would go for the bullet everytime. The injection is much nicer for the human but IMO it takes too long for the horse to actually die. Where as wth a shooting it's done instantly.

Honeypots

Visit site
I'm sure... but so were these guys. Regardless, I'd still rather injection for mine. I wouldn't want to go with THAT sort of a bang
tongue.gif
smirk.gif

D

Donkeymad

Bullet for mine too. There are bad experiences in both methods, but there are far more bad episodes when injecting than when shooting.

S_N

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Injection for mine over bullet.. seen several dodgy bullet jobs...

[/ QUOTE ]

I've known and seen more problems due to injections! Never known or seen of problems with a bullet though. I had Tops shot, he was dead on the B of BANG!! Just as the other horses I've witnessed have done. B's already told me how she wants to go - she's incredibly needle phobic, so LI is totally out of the question for her - though I wouldn't do it anyway!! Seen and heard of too many horses fight the drug and fall over, try to stand etc.... Totally inhumane IMO.

Happytohack

Visit site
In 30 years of owning horses, I have only had 3 PTS. Two were shot by the knackerman (I know him personally through the vet I work for and he is a complete professional) and one was PTS by injection. All 3 were PTS at home. I would never, ever send a horse away to be PTS - be it at the local hunt kennel or Potters. To me, my horses deserve to have a dignified trauma-free death at home. Both methods were instant and the horses knew nothing about them. But from a personal point of view, I would go for the injection in the future.