Even more bad news about Robin

doodle

Visit site
I don’t know how much more he can take. Along with the hock spavins, and then the gastric ulcers. He now has a severe bacterial infection in lungs. That’s bad enough, oh no, he is also anaemic. He is really unwell.
The antibiotic testing thingy is back. It’s resistant to the first line ab. So next is karidox. However from prior attempts he will not take this. Next line the bug is resistant to also. So then it is injected penicillin. Every day for 14 days. He became dangerous with injections and after a lot of work he accepts them now with the yearly jabs. However he is already getting upset after a few more needles and so this will not work for him either. Vet up front that they are not nice injections for even the best horse to be injected.

So I HAVE to get the karidox into him. No other option. He is to stay on the bronco dilators. And add something for the aneamia. Along with the peptizole and sucralfate. He is so poorly the vet won’t even consider the scope for ulcers. So he will stay on these meds.

IF anything goes our way we will aim to re scope in 10 days and re scope his lungs and do another lung wash to see where we are with the infection.

No wonder he is feeling so miserable. Nasty chest infection, anaemic and ulcers. Why the hell is all this happening to him?

SpeedyPony

Visit site
Poor Robin! They say it never rains but pours :( fingers crossed you have a run of better luck now, you're certainly due some.
Wishing you both luck, hopefully the next lung scope will show improvement.

SEL

Visit site
Your poor boy - & poor you. I'm having a bad run and it's so demoralizing when you're constantly wondering "why?" and stressful too. I really hope you can get the antibiotics into him. I've recently been pouring boiling water to turn cheap pony nuts into a mash to hide drugs.

**hugs**

BronsonNutter

Visit site
Hope he's feeling better soon. If you're really struggling with the karidox you could ask your vet about the BOVA doxycycline paste - it's the same drug as in the karidox but more concentrated so you only need to give half the quantity and less runny so less likely to be gobbed out all over you, it's also molasses flavoured (although they still seem to hate it)

Ceriann

Visit site
So sorry to hear this - hes having a terrible time of it as are you. They do like to worry us but hes so lucky you recognised how poorly he was and have the relationship you have with your vet. I really do hope he gets some better luck and sees some improvement soon.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I feel for you OP, my horses have had one thing after another over the last 12 months, it is very very trying, worrying and stressful. My fussy eater has just eaten Karidox mixed with Saracen Recovery Mash. It is designed to tempt fussy and sick horses.

Mrs B

Visit site
So sorry to read this - have nothing helpful to add, I'm afraid ... I hope you can get the medication into him and he starts to recover. Thinking of you with all fingers and toes and eyes crossed (which, by the way, makes typong tuff) x