Eventing 2024 Season Thread

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Thought it might be nice to have a rolling thread for 2024 eventing chat - news, event reports, season planning etc.

I know we've all been feeding into thousands of posts on the more negative thread - but thought it might be nice to have somewhere to share some event reports and things (like the good old days of HHO). Not just from those competing, but maybe also from people volunteering and spectating too?

Anyway - to kick things of - a couple of bits of news and some quick reports from my first two events of the season;

Tweseldown - announced yesterday that they're putting on an event THIS WEEKEND to replace Cirencester - and they've had an incredible 387 entries overnight :eek: I think they're still looking for volunteers to support the event - and anyone going to volunteer/spectate looks like they'll have a fantastic range of 5* horses to watch...

Chillington announced this morning that they're adding a novice class to the event on 1-2 June, which is good news for people in the NW and midlands as there aren't many others in the area around that time.

And then my first two events of the season...

Oasby - I ran on Friday 8th in the Open Novice. We did not have to be towed on or off, but the ground was clearly on the edge of becoming deep bog with any additional rain. Dressage warm-up I'd politely call 'tacky' - and being quite late on in the afternoon my arena featured deep sticky corners and a mud-hole at X. Did what I thought was a reasonable test given the conditions, but was a bit disappointed with a 37.something - however, even an established 5* horse with mid 20-s scores at 5* only scored a 31 - so I don't think the judge was giving marks away.

SJ warm-up was considerably worse - one of those occasions when you want to do the absolute bare minimum of jumping before going in. I had a stop in the warm-up where I just didn't ride well enough considering the conditions. Gave myself a talking to and rode much better in the ring for a decent clear round. To be fair to the organisers, huge effort had gone into keeping the going in the ring as good as possible, and whilst soft, it was being kept very level.

XC walked like a nice straightforward course (course pics here), but again, ground was holding. We were having a great spin around until the penultimate fence, which is just a little angled pheasant feeder with a short approach out of a thicket of bushes. I've jumped it several times before on this horse, and so complacency was my enemy and I totally missed my line, ended up jumping the wrong side of the flag over the intermediate fence by accident (which counted as a run-out), circled round, popped it and completed whilst mentally absolutely kicking myself for the ridiculous error. Drove home the 3 hours very, very, very cross with myself. Not the horse - horse had no idea he'd really done anything wrong as far as he was concerned.

Totally unsurprised they had to cancel the final day when it started raining - it was clearly on the edge of being able to run :(

Lincolnshire - I ran on Saturday in the Intermediate Novice. Long drive but an easier one than Oasby because you just get on the motorway and keep driving east from us! Horse was absolutely thrilled getting off the lorry to see that they had tasty unspoilt showground grass to snack on. You've never seen a horse come down a ramp so fast.

Dressage was actually decent ground to warm up on, and not bad in the arena. Test started out well enough, and felt like we were managing to maintain that better more uphill outline needed for intermediate, until I failed to keep my leg on going into the counter canter - broke, popped back up into non-counter canter, and then that meant we also missed doing a proper simple change immediately afterwards. I did some calculations and reckon that I lost about 2.5% with that one error, because it destroyed the mark for two movements. Eep! Finished on a 38.2, but it could easily have been 35-ish without the big fail. I'd really like to try and pull my dressage average mark down this season to below 35 if I can - not easy on a horse built on a steep downhill slope, but he tries so hard.

SJ warm-up was much better than Oasby, although I did have a brief meltdown where I seemed to lose the ability to see a distance again. Horse was super awesome in the ring though and pinged his way around with enthusiasm, and ending up being the only horse in the class to jump clear without picking up any time faults. The SJ speed is distinctly quicker at intermediate, so it was good to know that we were 'on it'.

The cross country course at Lincoln had been beefed up in technicality since I last ran around the novice track in 2022 - but this did me a favour, because I was not complacent this time and actually remembered to ride all the way around. Course pics here. In particular, they really strengthened the water jump adding a two stride double, landing directly into water on the way in, with a quick turn to a skinny barrel on the way out. This was followed immediately by a skinny-corner-skinny turning combination which you had to have your line really secure to be able to make a nice job of. Anyway - horse was an absolute super star all the way around and nailed every combination without missing a beat. Finished 6 seconds under the time despite the soft ground, so was really pleased to have recorded an FOD and also climbed up to 4th place in the end too.

Little picture from the big drop from the pro photographer Julia Shearwood (which had a turning 5/6 strides to a skinny brush) - and also to note - I've worn navy jodhs for both events and happily everyone seems to be aware of the rule change and hasn't questioned me on it :) )

1415_spn_1640.jpg

Next stop is (hopefully) Thoresby for the intermediate if it ever stops raining. Where is everyone else going next (to ride/spectate/volunteer)?

TheMule

Visit site
Great idea for a thread and lovely to read your reports.
Nova should hopefully get out somewhere in April, just waiting to hear if Moreton will be re-scheduled, if not we might only be served by unaff options until the end of May which is a bit frustrating

Squeak

Visit site
Great idea for a thread, well done on both your runs, very solid start to the season. It always makes it feel more like spring when eventing starts again.

I've had a slow start to the year with some silly setbacks and my horse is a bit older now so I'll mainly be praying he stays sound and happy this year. We've been really working on our dressage to try and make sure we're competitive (also on a tb who doesn't find it his easiest phase) and I'm building back up the sj now. I'll see where the season takes us but I'm not planning on too many events. I find it very different competing at fewer events, it's hard to substitute actual eventing with prep/ training but we'll see what happens and hopefully we can be competitive.

kathantoinette

Visit site
Super cheery idea for a thread! I don't event myself but do volunteer when I can.
I volunteered at Lincoln for Dressage writing for the U18 Open Novice on the Saturday. I must say it was lovely to see the sun poking out for a while!! A well organised event (from where I was sat), I was well looked after and wrote for a lovely judge. There were some super quality horses and very polite young riders - most of them greeting us with a cheery 'morning' and thanking us after their test.
I may try to get to Askham Bryan to write.
Well done on your outings so far RF.

BallyJ

Visit site
Great thread! Thank you. I'd love to get into eventing later this year/early next but finding it all very daunting as I don't know anyone that does it! So can't figure out the ins/outs! Thinking of employing an experienced groom for my first one to point me in the right directions!

So this is a great behind the scenes for me!

J_sarahd

Visit site
I love the idea of this thread. It allows me to live vicariously through everyone. Nova was meant to start her eventing career in the second half of the season, but that’s been put on hold for now so it will be fun and exciting to read everyone’s reports.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Great idea for a thread. I am not eventing this season for a whole load of (hopefully!) temporary reasons, but I am still an eventer at heart, and love keeping up with what is happening. I will be grooming for friends too and volunteering. Plus I plan to be back in 2025! So really looking forward to seeing the reports.

TheMule

Visit site
Great thread! Thank you. I'd love to get into eventing later this year/early next but finding it all very daunting as I don't know anyone that does it! So can't figure out the ins/outs! Thinking of employing an experienced groom for my first one to point me in the right directions!

So this is a great behind the scenes for me!

I'm sure if you can give a rough idea of your general location then someone will happily link up with you and show you the ropes!

ihatework

Visit site
Yey! We need this fun, positive eventing thread!

2 months ago it was looking possible I might have 3 out this season. But with the write off of one 5yo and the uncanny resemblance to an anorexic giraffe for the other 5yo, means we are down to one pony for the foreseeable.

So all hopes are on the 8yo.
Plans for him not yet final, first run this weekend Twe N, then Ciren I before starting to make Plan A, B and C. General intention though I think would be I/3* consolidation with hopefully a long format MER

Well done on your good start to the season RF!

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Yey! We need this fun, positive eventing thread!

2 months ago it was looking possible I might have 3 out this season. But with the write off of one 5yo and the uncanny resemblance to an anorexic giraffe for the other 5yo, means we are down to one pony for the foreseeable.

So all hopes are on the 8yo.
Plans for him not yet final, first run this weekend Twe N, then Ciren I before starting to make Plan A, B and C. General intention though I think would be I/3* consolidation with hopefully a long format MER

Well done on your good start to the season RF!

Disappointing that the 5yos won't be out and about this year - although the anorexic giraffe 5yo may look very different by mid-summer? But exciting for the 8yo - think we're on a similar mission for the year with I/3*, although I think it is fairly unlikely that I'll be back aiming for a long format - I seem to cause a field injury every time I enter one, so we may just stay having fun with short formats instead. I've got Alnwick Ford as a very lightly pencilled in aim.
Lovely report, well done on the 4th place - especially after the whoopsie in the dressage. What is your plan to get those sub 35 scores in consitently out of interest?
I'm not sure - I need to make a plan for that ;)

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
well done! I am on track for Oxstalls next week. Going xc schooling on Friday on grass 🥳. Flat lesson tomorrow and then dressage hopefully on Sunday.
where's open on grass in your area? I didn't actually have a grass XC school in the end, and am probably going to be schooling on AW again on Sunday at A-l-W.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Thought it might be nice to have a rolling thread for 2024 eventing chat - news, event reports, season planning etc.

I know we've all been feeding into thousands of posts on the more negative thread - but thought it might be nice to have somewhere to share some event reports and things (like the good old days of HHO). Not just from those competing, but maybe also from people volunteering and spectating too?

Anyway - to kick things of - a couple of bits of news and some quick reports from my first two events of the season;

Tweseldown - announced yesterday that they're putting on an event THIS WEEKEND to replace Cirencester - and they've had an incredible 387 entries overnight :eek: I think they're still looking for volunteers to support the event - and anyone going to volunteer/spectate looks like they'll have a fantastic range of 5* horses to watch...

Chillington announced this morning that they're adding a novice class to the event on 1-2 June, which is good news for people in the NW and midlands as there aren't many others in the area around that time.

And then my first two events of the season...

Oasby - I ran on Friday 8th in the Open Novice. We did not have to be towed on or off, but the ground was clearly on the edge of becoming deep bog with any additional rain. Dressage warm-up I'd politely call 'tacky' - and being quite late on in the afternoon my arena featured deep sticky corners and a mud-hole at X. Did what I thought was a reasonable test given the conditions, but was a bit disappointed with a 37.something - however, even an established 5* horse with mid 20-s scores at 5* only scored a 31 - so I don't think the judge was giving marks away.

SJ warm-up was considerably worse - one of those occasions when you want to do the absolute bare minimum of jumping before going in. I had a stop in the warm-up where I just didn't ride well enough considering the conditions. Gave myself a talking to and rode much better in the ring for a decent clear round. To be fair to the organisers, huge effort had gone into keeping the going in the ring as good as possible, and whilst soft, it was being kept very level.

XC walked like a nice straightforward course (course pics here), but again, ground was holding. We were having a great spin around until the penultimate fence, which is just a little angled pheasant feeder with a short approach out of a thicket of bushes. I've jumped it several times before on this horse, and so complacency was my enemy and I totally missed my line, ended up jumping the wrong side of the flag over the intermediate fence by accident (which counted as a run-out), circled round, popped it and completed whilst mentally absolutely kicking myself for the ridiculous error. Drove home the 3 hours very, very, very cross with myself. Not the horse - horse had no idea he'd really done anything wrong as far as he was concerned.

Totally unsurprised they had to cancel the final day when it started raining - it was clearly on the edge of being able to run :(

Lincolnshire - I ran on Saturday in the Intermediate Novice. Long drive but an easier one than Oasby because you just get on the motorway and keep driving east from us! Horse was absolutely thrilled getting off the lorry to see that they had tasty unspoilt showground grass to snack on. You've never seen a horse come down a ramp so fast.

Dressage was actually decent ground to warm up on, and not bad in the arena. Test started out well enough, and felt like we were managing to maintain that better more uphill outline needed for intermediate, until I failed to keep my leg on going into the counter canter - broke, popped back up into non-counter canter, and then that meant we also missed doing a proper simple change immediately afterwards. I did some calculations and reckon that I lost about 2.5% with that one error, because it destroyed the mark for two movements. Eep! Finished on a 38.2, but it could easily have been 35-ish without the big fail. I'd really like to try and pull my dressage average mark down this season to below 35 if I can - not easy on a horse built on a steep downhill slope, but he tries so hard.

SJ warm-up was much better than Oasby, although I did have a brief meltdown where I seemed to lose the ability to see a distance again. Horse was super awesome in the ring though and pinged his way around with enthusiasm, and ending up being the only horse in the class to jump clear without picking up any time faults. The SJ speed is distinctly quicker at intermediate, so it was good to know that we were 'on it'.

The cross country course at Lincoln had been beefed up in technicality since I last ran around the novice track in 2022 - but this did me a favour, because I was not complacent this time and actually remembered to ride all the way around. Course pics here. In particular, they really strengthened the water jump adding a two stride double, landing directly into water on the way in, with a quick turn to a skinny barrel on the way out. This was followed immediately by a skinny-corner-skinny turning combination which you had to have your line really secure to be able to make a nice job of. Anyway - horse was an absolute super star all the way around and nailed every combination without missing a beat. Finished 6 seconds under the time despite the soft ground, so was really pleased to have recorded an FOD and also climbed up to 4th place in the end too.

Little picture from the big drop from the pro photographer Julia Shearwood (which had a turning 5/6 strides to a skinny brush) - and also to note - I've worn navy jodhs for both events and happily everyone seems to be aware of the rule change and hasn't questioned me on it :) )

View attachment 136013

Next stop is (hopefully) Thoresby for the intermediate if it ever stops raining. Where is everyone else going next (to ride/spectate/volunteer)?
Great write up and pic :)

I'm glad to be included as spectator/volunteer - I was going to watch Cirencester Park so obviously disappointing that's cancelled but great to hear Tweseldown really stepping up for the competitors to have another chance to run. Hopefully Ciren will go ahead in April and I will go to watch that.

I'm dressage writing for BE for the first time at Oxstalls, and first time volunteering for BE.

Orangina

Visit site
Hoping to join you on this thread on behalf of my daughter who has had a very stop start time with her horse since she got him 2.5 years ago. Just starting to get out to some sj training events and will hopefully be eventing by midway through the season

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
where's open on grass in your area? I didn't actually have a grass XC school in the end, and am probably going to be schooling on AW again on Sunday at A-l-W.
It’s not publicly open yet. So going with a trainer and might still be pulled if we get more rain.

SEL

Visit site
I'm in awe of you guys managing to get horses fit enough to event after this winter. By now I'd usually have my big field for canter work but it's standing water.

TheMule

Visit site
I'm in awe of you guys managing to get horses fit enough to event after this winter. By now I'd usually have my big field for canter work but it's standing water.

That’s what’s holding me back at the moment- normally we'd be ready for early April eventing, but I haven’t been able to get him fit enough with the constant rubbish weather

Wishfilly

Visit site
I think it's probably too far South West for anyone on this thread, and maybe they don't have big enough fences, but Lower Tokenbury in Cornwall is open for XC course hire this week, I believe. They've been running clinics for the past few weekends, and the ground is holding up okay.

Are we allowed to talk about unaffiliated on this thread?

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
I think it's probably too far South West for anyone on this thread, and maybe they don't have big enough fences, but Lower Tokenbury in Cornwall is open for XC course hire this week, I believe. They've been running clinics for the past few weekends, and the ground is holding up okay.

Are we allowed to talk about unaffiliated on this thread?
Ooo that’s not a million miles from me, about 1hr30. Sadly don’t have time to get there before (hopefully) our first run at Larkhill, but it’s a venue I didn’t know about and will add to my list of places!

We’ve been doing lots of arena eventing, so even though not on grass, hopefully prepared enough 🤞🏼

ihatework

Visit site
Good start to the season @ Tweseldown today!

Started off sunny for the dressage. Now I love my boy to bits but even as a rose-tinted-spec breeder/owner even I can admit, Valegro he isn’t 😆

So I was pleasantly surprised, having not seen him go since last year, to watch the early trot work far more uphill, less tense, neck a little easier on the eye and contact a little better. I was mildly optimistic.
Alas we then had a little explosion into canter with legs akimbo, some tension and dropped out of cc early. To a very fragile walk. All quite familiar. But recovered really well for the halt & RB, next set of trot just as nice, better diff & bal in the mediums and final canter not too shabby either.

Was rather surprised with a very competitive score, the good stuff must have scored pretty well. And that £50 bribe to the judge obviously helped too 🤪

SJ was on the brink of disaster at one point. 3 loose dogs meant teleporting. Then a hail storm meant an autistic meltdown (horse not rider!) was brewing. But all credit to both, took a breather, got heads back in the game and went into the ring for a convincing clear. Good stuff.

Started xc in 4th. Time faults dropped them back a little, but given that towards the end of last season he had become a lairy little sod - today rider reported in full control of pace and direction, so that’s a winner for us.

Bonus points go to a large Ariat sale in the clubhouse for good shopping bargains!

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com

Started off sunny for the dressage. Now I love my boy to bits but even as a rose-tinted-spec breeder/owner even I can admit, Valegro he isn’t 😆

So I was pleasantly surprised, having not seen him go since last year, to watch the early trot work far more uphill, less tense, neck a little easier on the eye and contact a little better. I was mildly optimistic.
Alas we then had a little explosion into canter with legs akimbo, some tension and dropped out of cc early. To a very fragile walk. All quite familiar. But recovered really well for the halt & RB, next set of trot just as nice, better diff & bal in the mediums and final canter not too shabby either.

Was rather surprised with a very competitive score, the good stuff must have scored pretty well. And that £50 bribe to the judge obviously helped too 🤪

SJ was on the brink of disaster at one point. 3 loose dogs meant teleporting. Then a hail storm meant an autistic meltdown (horse not rider!) was brewing. But all credit to both, took a breather, got heads back in the game and went into the ring for a convincing clear. Good stuff.

Started xc in 4th. Time faults dropped them back a little, but given that towards the end of last season he had become a lairy little sod - today rider reported in full control of pace and direction, so that’s a winner for us.

Bonus points go to a large Ariat sale in the clubhouse for good shopping bargains!

Sounds like a great start and all good to build on. How was the ground and the track?

humblepie

Visit site

Well done. Excellent outing. Some friends went to the Ariat sale and said it was good.

ihatework

Visit site
Sounds like a great start and all good to build on. How was the ground and the track?

We were first half of the first day so got the freshest ground, but no complaints at all about the dressage and sj. I didn't walk the full xc track but the nearer parts ground was great. Jockey said there was a dodgy patch on the far side but that was all. Track was a typical Tweseldown, solid enough with some questions, but very fair. Lots of completions and very few WD which is telling. Good horses and big names were out in force.

Last edited:

ihatework

Visit site
And the anorexic giraffe …. Weaned in Nov, out for the winter and back in 4 weeks ago.
Won’t do anything other than building strength for the next few months. Her designated rider came for first ever sit today and left smiling (well better than saying no thanks at least 😜)

IMG_1864.jpeg
IMG_1860.jpegIMG_1859.jpeg

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Sadly one of our homebreds was lost at Tweseldown. Absolutely tragic after a horse fall. I had to sell her back in 2022 when I had cancer and watched her shine with her new owners. She was the horse I got my first ever BE win on. Sadly for me, the ramifications will run deeper as the horse I ride is her sister and now her owner is questioning eventing and the dangers of it. Will have to see what happens as supposed to be at Oxstalls on Sunday.