Eventing 2024 Season Thread

Chuffy99

Visit site
Yes classic isn’t it, two lovely new training sites in the East in Radley Green and Keysoe but when we’re all ready trained up, there’s no where to go and compete

BACR

Visit site
Yes classic isn’t it, two lovely new training sites in the East in Radley Green and Keysoe but when we’re all ready trained up, there’s no where to go and compete
I know, I was out schooling last weekend in GW and he's ready but now I've got nowhere to go!! Is the all weather course open at Keysoe do you know? I keep checking their website and it's been "coming soon" for about a year.

Michen

Visit site

Our round from Sunday! I’m just chuffed to bits with him, I can’t stop watching it.

Definitely needed to get moving more around the first part of the course to make the time, but that’s on me. He was well up for it from the word go! Nice to know I’ve managed to get him fit enough as didn’t feel tired at all by the end.

You’d think he’d done hundreds of BE90s, not two 18mo ago which were horribly messy and just all over the place. Then spent the last 12mo at 80cm trying to get over a particularly nappy phase which knocked both our confidence.

I loved watching that! He looks great. I too remember your posts when things weren't great and you'd never know, he looks super on it with his job!

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Alas, I've had to withdraw from Osberton. S's head wound is healing up nicely from the outside, but just having the odd trickle of old blood nasal discharge still - vets have checked him out and he needs to continue to take it moderately easy for a few more weeks - no galloping or intense work. So doesn't look like we'll be out again until the end of May/early June at Belsay :(

Might manage to get the younger one out to Shelford the weekend before that if his SJ continues to improve. And because I was feeling sad about not getting to the fun big events, I've entered him for some little arena eventing at Chatsworth. I figured that would be a good test of whether he can retain his newly found SJ focus in a more pressurised environment (without any actual pressure - because the jumps will only be 90cm...)

TheMule

Visit site
Alas, I've had to withdraw from Osberton. S's head wound is healing up nicely from the outside, but just having the odd trickle of old blood nasal discharge still - vets have checked him out and he needs to continue to take it moderately easy for a few more weeks - no galloping or intense work. So doesn't look like we'll be out again until the end of May/early June at Belsay :(

Might manage to get the younger one out to Shelford the weekend before that if his SJ continues to improve. And because I was feeling sad about not getting to the fun big events, I've entered him for some little arena eventing at Chatsworth. I figured that would be a good test of whether he can retain his newly found SJ focus in a more pressurised environment (without any actual pressure - because the jumps will only be 90cm...)

That’s unlucky, what a shame when he's going so well 👎

Sail_away

Visit site
I’ve followed this thread for a while and finally can join in 😁
We had our first run of the season at Osberton in the Novice - Viva my mare has been off since August 22, spent most of 23 in a very careful rehab and then so far in 24 our season has just consisted of getting all our events cancelled.
Dressage went well, high but not atrocious at 39, which considering excitement levels was fair enough.
Then XC walking time - immediate alarm at the size of fence 3, whacking great oxer going in to the woods. 4 also large but looked a bit friendlier with brush on top. 5 and 6 suspiciously small, but really just preparing you for 7, big open corner off a curving line. Further alarm. Then all nice until 10 AB, two triple brushes on a forward 4 strides. It’s a straight line which technically should be easier than the Intermediate version which is on a curve, but on a personal level Viva is absolutely aces at curving lines and angles, not bad at straight lines but quite the same. Ah well. Not much to do, just wrap your legs round and aim for the middle. By this point it’s apparent that nearly the entire course is shared with the 2* - not ideal as a starting point after a 20 month break. Nice water, no fence in the water which is a favourite of Viva’s but never mind. Course is starting to look more jumpable, and provided I can get past 10 without doing anything stupid I think we’re in the clear.
So I went in to SJ feeling a little rattled. The warmup was carnage, about 15 horses going round at speed, felt like trying to ride across the M1 at times. For some reason everyone wanted to warm up over 1.20, personally after walking the XC I felt up to about 90cm. Someone else managed to nab a fence and put an X pole out which I gratefully trotted over a couple times. By that point I had one before me, so I aimed at an upright, found a big pro name about to walk across my line, called upright, squeaked a thank-you as I rode in front and thankfully somehow had a nice jump on a good stride.
Viva was class and she deserved a clear really, I hadn’t been able to walk the course so my striding was off on a related and she had the first as well which I will put down to the less than ideal warmup. But 2 down is not bad for her, if she’s in the mood she will quite happily play skittles.
XC warmup I kept seeing long shots, Viva is very much a when in doubt take one out type of gal so didn’t mind overly. Decided it was best just to go before I overthought it.
Clever girl was absolutely spot on, fence 3 that I’d worried about she barely noticed, sailed over the corner at 7, had a bit of footwork to do at the triple brushes as the forward 4 became a tight 5. But we made things happen and left the flags up. Then we just had a nice cruise round the rest, special mention to Viva at the shoulder brush at 20 - fence before was a trakehner and one of Viva’s features is a complete disregard for ditches, drops, water or other terrain. As such I was pretty open to the trakehner, forgetting that 20 was very close after and consequently only just got her back in time to pop over it. Got carried away and saw a long one to the final fence, Viva said don’t be stupid, chipped in and sorted herself out. She’s a great combination of polite enough to listen when I get it right and smart enough to ignore me when I’m wrong.
We had some time in the end but I’d ridden slow and set her up a fair bit so not concerned about that. Next stop is Chatsworth and then Belsay, both Novices. I’d hoped to get my FEI membership sorted in time for the 2* at Belsay but no luck.
Currently pondering Catton Park for our first Intermediate so would welcome thoughts on that if anyone has been. Other option is Alnwick Ford the following week but as it’s an international I assume it will share a fair bit with the 3*.
38062DBD-57A5-4FF3-A23B-FB99308203A9.jpeg

sportsmansB

Visit site
We had our first run of the season at Osberton in the Novice - Viva my mare has been off since August 22, spent most of 23 in a very careful rehab and then so far in 24 our season has just consisted of getting all our events cancelled.
Dressage went well, high but not atrocious at 39, which considering excitement levels was fair enough.
Then XC walking time - immediate alarm at the size of fence 3, whacking great oxer going in to the woods. 4 also large but looked a bit friendlier with brush on top. 5 and 6 suspiciously small, but really just preparing you for 7, big open corner off a curving line. Further alarm. Then all nice until 10 AB, two triple brushes on a forward 4 strides. It’s a straight line which technically should be easier than the Intermediate version which is on a curve, but on a personal level Viva is absolutely aces at curving lines and angles, not bad at straight lines but quite the same. Ah well. Not much to do, just wrap your legs round and aim for the middle. By this point it’s apparent that nearly the entire course is shared with the 2* - not ideal as a starting point after a 20 month break. Nice water, no fence in the water which is a favourite of Viva’s but never mind. Course is starting to look more jumpable, and provided I can get past 10 without doing anything stupid I think we’re in the clear.
So I went in to SJ feeling a little rattled. The warmup was carnage, about 15 horses going round at speed, felt like trying to ride across the M1 at times. For some reason everyone wanted to warm up over 1.20, personally after walking the XC I felt up to about 90cm. Someone else managed to nab a fence and put an X pole out which I gratefully trotted over a couple times. By that point I had one before me, so I aimed at an upright, found a big pro name about to walk across my line, called upright, squeaked a thank-you as I rode in front and thankfully somehow had a nice jump on a good stride.
Viva was class and she deserved a clear really, I hadn’t been able to walk the course so my striding was off on a related and she had the first as well which I will put down to the less than ideal warmup. But 2 down is not bad for her, if she’s in the mood she will quite happily play skittles.
XC warmup I kept seeing long shots, Viva is very much a when in doubt take one out type of gal so didn’t mind overly. Decided it was best just to go before I overthought it.
Clever girl was absolutely spot on, fence 3 that I’d worried about she barely noticed, sailed over the corner at 7, had a bit of footwork to do at the triple brushes as the forward 4 became a tight 5. But we made things happen and left the flags up. Then we just had a nice cruise round the rest, special mention to Viva at the shoulder brush at 20 - fence before was a trakehner and one of Viva’s features is a complete disregard for ditches, drops, water or other terrain. As such I was pretty open to the trakehner, forgetting that 20 was very close after and consequently only just got her back in time to pop over it. Got carried away and saw a long one to the final fence, Viva said don’t be stupid, chipped in and sorted herself out. She’s a great combination of polite enough to listen when I get it right and smart enough to ignore me when I’m wrong.
We had some time in the end but I’d ridden slow and set her up a fair bit so not concerned about that. Next stop is Chatsworth and then Belsay, both Novices. I’d hoped to get my FEI membership sorted in time for the 2* at Belsay but no luck.
Currently pondering Catton Park for our first Intermediate so would welcome thoughts on that if anyone has been. Other option is Alnwick Ford the following week but as it’s an international I assume it will share a fair bit with the 3*.
View attachment 138857
She’s a great combination of polite enough to listen when I get it right and smart enough to ignore me when I’m wrong. This is my idea of the perfect cross country horse :) Fantastic, well done

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
View attachment 138857
congratulations - sounds like a great first run back, and in with a decent tough XC track for the level too. BEDE events do tend to have the novice share most of the 2* and have the intermediates share most of the 3*. Other events don't neccessarily do this - last time I walked Chatsworth they had entirely separate tracks for Novice and 2*.

I'm pretty sure you'd be able to sort FEI membership to move your Belsay entry into the 2* - I don't think those classes are very full and the BE office have always sorted mine out within a day or two? The 2* at Belsay has always very much been at the tough end and more like a mini intermediate, so a very good prep for move up.

I didn't do Catton intermediate last year, but one of my trainers said it was an ideal first intermediate run. I walked Alnwick Ford intermediate as I was in the 2* - it was very similar to the 3*, but it was a very kind 3*, if that makes sense?

I'm guessing you're based in the North, because the classic first intermediate runs are all at Aston. When I moved up last year we did Aston first, then Upton House, which was also very much on the gentle side for intermediate XC.

ihatework

Visit site
Well done Sail Away!

My boy also only managed 1 run but will be in Aston Int next week, and we need to then decide on either Nunney or Catton Int …. At the moment I think Catton is winning, never been there before so can’t help on the course.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Well done Sail Away!

My boy also only managed 1 run but will be in Aston Int next week, and we need to then decide on either Nunney or Catton Int …. At the moment I think Catton is winning, never been there before so can’t help on the course.

I did the Novice Masters at Catton last year, intermediate followed mainly the same track and I didn't see anything unpleasant. Does involve a fairly steep climb and then a fairly steep descent in the middle section of the course. Water a bit dark, but not tricky.
Ground was on firmer side in the SJ, but it was during a heatwave-y bit of the year, and mine jumped very well on it. Pics are on XC app.

Sail_away

Visit site
congratulations - sounds like a great first run back, and in with a decent tough XC track for the level too. BEDE events do tend to have the novice share most of the 2* and have the intermediates share most of the 3*. Other events don't neccessarily do this - last time I walked Chatsworth they had entirely separate tracks for Novice and 2*.

I'm pretty sure you'd be able to sort FEI membership to move your Belsay entry into the 2* - I don't think those classes are very full and the BE office have always sorted mine out within a day or two? The 2* at Belsay has always very much been at the tough end and more like a mini intermediate, so a very good prep for move up.

I didn't do Catton intermediate last year, but one of my trainers said it was an ideal first intermediate run. I walked Alnwick Ford intermediate as I was in the 2* - it was very similar to the 3*, but it was a very kind 3*, if that makes sense?

I'm guessing you're based in the North, because the classic first intermediate runs are all at Aston. When I moved up last year we did Aston first, then Upton House, which was also very much on the gentle side for intermediate XC.
Thank you - that’s all really useful to know 😁. I’ll call BE tomorrow as it’s been over two weeks without any reply.
I’m leaning towards Catton as we could then run Upton which is two weeks after I think. Whereas Alnwick to Upton would be a bit tight.
And yes we’re North East - I used to be very close to Aston so ran a few times with Viva. She can be a bit casual there as it’s so flat, she tends to zoom round with the autopilot on! But she hasn’t been in a while and the step up might back her off a bit (ha,ha…).