Expecting an exciting delivery...

Zuzan

Visit site
Problem solved - they only mentioned her being on speedibeet, not that it was mixed with Alfa A. Have bought some Alfa A and she tells me that's much better!

It maybe the speedibeet doesn't suite her ... my mare went off it and refused to touch anything with even a smidgen of speedibeet in it .. in fact any beet at all.. even molassed.. I stopped feeding it altogether .. I don't think some horses get on with beet products as remember a previous co-livery's horse would colic if given any type of beet.. so might be worth finding another base feed.

Roxylola

Visit site
Charlie isn't allowed beet at all - it may have been coincidence but he had a dreadful mallanders flare up that coincided with feeding speedibeet. He's also the pickiest cob I've ever known, he won't eat anything like topchop lite etc only alfa of some description ?
Glad you're getting along with her, you deserve a good one, and it sounds like she deserves a good steady home too ?

Caol Ila

Visit site
Gypsum and my ex-YO had a falling out over speedibeet. He gave everything speedibeet. That's just how it was done. The last year we were on that yard, Gypsum went off the speedbeet. Would not touch anything with speedibeet in it. YO would storm up to me and snap, "She not eating her hard feed!" Like I have some control over this? I'll talk to her about it? His son, who helped run the yard, had a bit more sense and made a radical move -- feeding her the 16+ mix straight. She had no problem with eating that.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Next lesson was leading. I want her to lead politely. Partly because it's easier and safer that way and partly because I see all behaviour on the ground as an extension of being 'on the aids'. When I am riding I want her calm, attentive and immediately responsive. And I want the same on the ground. She was actually not too bad when she first arrived. Did a bit of towing me about but was nowhere near as bad as Amber had been. But she still needed tugging to move on or pulling back to stop her getting ahead. The ideal is for the lead rope never to get tight. So my first aim was her just being safe and not dragging me. That felt ok so it was time for some refinement - having her her properly focused and matching me.

The video starts with her not really getting it. But all these clips were taken across 1 day (today) and I have never known a horse get it so quickly. She is either super clever or she's done this before!! Sorry for quality. It's all one handed obviously. Maybe I need a head cam.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Catching update! For the past few days she has been coming over with happy ears and following me around when I poo-pick, in a curious way but staying a few feet away. Today I was leaning over scraping some poo up when I felt her nuzzling/breathing on the back of my neck. It was so sweet. I turned to stroke her and Katie grabbed this snap. Awwwww

241366946_1267504300359398_7996152167463879067_n.jpg

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Lottie giving lessons in the importance of asking politely! I had a dressage lesson this week. I was lining her up at the mounting block and she was still a step away from being where I needed her to be. I was about to ask her to step across from up on the block (I train horses to sort of come and collect me from wherever I am - block, rock, wall, fence) when apparently out of nowhere she kicked out and leapt forward. "oops sorry" said the instructor I gave her a bit of a prod to move her over."

She didn't like that at all! She is a very sweet and willing girl but I am realising more and more how light and responsive she is. Not someone who needs a poke in the ribs for a response. I've started teaching her to yield to pressure from the ground: shoulders, hindquarters etc. Even on my first try, she did not need physical contact to step over or round. My hand a few inches away was enough pressure. She is totally my kind of horse: Intelligent, alert, willing, expressive. And won't let me push her around. Which I like because I think that trains me to be a better horse-person. I just love her.

241733664_4370211686392212_3837873946522628091_n.jpg

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Lottie is lame and I feel sick. I know it's probably nothing much but everything starts with nothing much. She came in from the field Saturday evening with swelling and heat in front right after playing with Amber. Bute, cold hosing, box rest and she seemed sound so went out for a leg stretch in a tiny arena while I mucked out. She bucked, cantered a few strides and immediately pulled up lame again. So vet has said 10 more days box rest with bute and cold hosing. If still lame then investigations will start. Please not another one...... I just can't keep doing this. Why are they so damn fragile. :(

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Just checked ny dates. It's not even been 3 days yet! It feels forever!! I should not have turned her out so soon. Really annoyed with myself.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Hopefully just a hematoma or something. My horse did this and I thought for sure he had injured a tendon or ligament due to the swelling and slight lameness. Luckily it was a hematoma on his DDFT, and he was fine in a few weeks.

I did use Ice Vibe boots and perhaps they helped.

Hoping it's something short and simple like that!

Wheels

Visit site
oh no, what a nightmare. Try not to worry too much, the swelling etc. is doing it's job and hopefully it's just a bang or something that wll right itself. It's been my experience that the injuries that are not visible are the worst / hardest to find and resolve but I'm sure that doesn't give you much comfort at the minute.

Don't beat yourself up about turning out, there is never a right time when hindsight is involved

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
what a shame, dont beat yourself up, we cant keep them wrapped in cotton wool, hopefully its just a little tweak and she will be fine after a bit of rest..good luck