Expecting an exciting delivery...

Zuzan

Visit site
Fingers crossed it's tweek and nothing more. Is it worth having a farrier out to check it isn't related to hoof balance / shoeing?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Oh begger it, AE, you must be in a blue funk. What a horrible start to spoil your new horse owning :(, I'm so sorry to read this!

Ambers Echo

Visit site
So she's had a week of bute now. Last dose was today. 3 days off bute then I can trot her up and see if she is fully sound. Please keep everything crossed. She is being angelic on box rest which helps at least. What a good girl.

The very patient patient:

241538905_4402701836476530_3189233260887159515_n.jpg

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Awww I've not caught up on this til now....I hope Lottie is better asap...rotten luck AE but she'll have had the best of care with you so she's in good hands.
She's looking like a really lovely horse, it sounds to me as though she's very much enjoying having a person of her own and that her true personality is shining through now ?

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Cautiously optimistic.... she is a bit explosive but once she stopped dancing and actually trotted, she looked sound! I'm sending videos to check but I think she is ok.......

Next question: now what? In the past I have just got back on a recovered horse for some hacking in walk before picking up more work. But I can't turn her out yet as she will go nuts. She needs to do a bit of rehab before I am willing to let her loose in a field. If there is space to buck and spin/turn then she will and I don't want her loading that leg so much. But equally I'm not sure I really want to get on! And hand walking has is limitations really in terms of getting the fizz out.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
could you long rein rather than walk in hand, how about a little bit of sedation ask your vet for some acp and what dose he would suggest... really pleased for you that she seems sound. fingers crossed

nikicb

www.facebook.com
If it was me I would get your vet to scan. Maddie knocked herself in the field 5 weeks ago, never lame, but heat and swellling. I got it scanned twice 10 days apart and thankfully the vet confirmed no underlying damage to tendons/ligaments. She was on box rest with hand grazing/controlled walking until the second scan, then has been out with leg wraps in the field (a temporary solution as I don't really want her to wear them long term) and gentle work for the past three weeks (mainly in hand plus treadmill a few times). The swelling has only really just about gone - she had a steroid gel after the second scan as there was still a lot of sub-cutaneous damage. Lottie's injury sounds pretty similar. Personally I wasn't happy to start bringing her back into work until I knew that there was no underlying damage.

Last edited:

Ambers Echo

Visit site
I’ll speak to vet again tomorrow but his plan was 7 days bute and box rest then 3 days off bute then trot up and lunge both ways. Assuming she was fully sound then he didn’t see the need to investigate. And she seems absolutely fine now. No heat or swelling since day 3 either. But given she’s a loon in the field, he wanted her in work before being turned out again. It’s going from box rest to in work without turning out that is the challenge!

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Perhaps I am just very careful, but I just booked Maddie in for a scan, without asking my vet in advance, once the initial very puffy swelling went down (they couldn't have scanned the first few days as it was too swollen). My vet is super cautious (in a good way), and when I took Maddie back after 10 days and there was still a significant swelling, she said that she was glad we were keeping an eye on it. You may not know, but in the last 6 years I have had to retire an 8 year old, and then lost a 13 year old to lymphoma. If I have to buy any more horses it will probably end in divorce. So yes I am a little neurotic about it, but the scans gave me a lot of comfort that I am not double guessing Maddie's soundness.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Gosh what a nightmare for you. I’ve had a bit of a bad run too but have sort of ended up in a different place as a result: I spent thousands upon thousands above insurance on scans, blocks, MRIs or scintigraphy on 3 previous horses, none of which made the slightest difference to the outcome: 2 retired and 1 pts. My vet says diagnostics are way ahead of treatment options. Obviously if my vet suggested scanning, I’d scan. But I’m happy to follow his lead on whether or not that is helpful/ necessary. He is very experienced, knows the horse and I trust his judgement.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
That's fine, I trust my vet's judgement too, and she was very glad that I got it scanned to make sure there was nothing underlying. I have been 'working' with her for many years, and she is a close friend of a close friend (and I see her socially because of this) and I absolutely don't think she is trying to get me to do more vet work than required. I'm just glad to know that Maddie has no tendon damage. Hope Lottie comes back to full work soon. x

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Hope Maddie does too. Horses always give us something to worry about. Amber, Lottie and the one on the way will be my last horses. I also think divorce would be on the cards if I tried to ever have another! (Though another foal might be allowed)

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Hope Maddie does too. Horses always give us something to worry about. Amber, Lottie and the one on the way will be my last horses. I also think divorce would be on the cards if I tried to ever have another! (Though another foal might be allowed)

Thanks - I don't think I will ever (don't say never!!) have a set up where I will intentionally breed as my ridden horses tend to be Heinz 57 with no particular breeding. Always hope for a BOGOF though, but none have come up with the goods so far. Did discuss renewing Maddie's LOU insurance with husband the other day (never done it before, but did with her for the first year), and he did sort of say we could find funds if it went belly up. Maybe he has just realised that I am better to live with when I have a horse to ride, but I think that might be pushing boundaries somewhat.