Expecting an exciting delivery...

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
I assume you had her fully vetted and if so which vet over here did you use? The person you bought from has a very good reputation, but that is no guarantee that something niggling may have been going on that even seller might not have been aware of at the point of sale to you.

If he bought her from the sales she would have had a vets cert at that time, but again that is not a guarantee that she would still be sound when you bought her, and there might even have been something noted on the vetting from the sales, did you ask to see that?

It could be worth a quick phone call just to politely enquire a bit further, you never know there may be a clue somewhere in her recent history that will help sort what is going on.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
I'm devastated. And terrrified. I am trying not to get ahead of myself but having been so positive about her trotting up sound I have come crashing down heavily. And am now assuming the worst. Minor injuries get better over time. They don't flare up again with a bit of hand walking. I try to stay positive and I have had ups and well as downs but the reality is I last competed in summer 2019 and since then I have just never had any consistency in anything. Optimism and excitement like I had with Scarlett and then with Lottie just gets snuffed out. I know competing is not the be all and end all, but actually that is why I have horses! I love my horses for themselves but my passion and inspiration is competing. Excitement about seeing progress is what gets me up and out day after day after day. All the money, time and stress is paid for in spades when I leave that start box and head out over fences. But over the last 2+ years it has just been money, time and stress sunk into a bottomless pit with 2 lame horses at the end of it all. Sorry for the pity party. A close friend broke her neck and back at the weekend and we are scrambling to try and sort her 4 horses out who all live at home with her. It should make me see that a lame horse is small fry in the grand scheme of things but actually it has just makes me more sad, anxious and overwhelmed. Espeically as I am now under pressure from my OH to literally give it all up as he just says its too dangerous, time consuming, stressful and expensive. Thank God for Dolly and Amber's pregnancy! Without those bright spots I'd be a puddle in the floor now.

I am dreading hearing that it's a suspensory and she's out for months or forever. Forgive me, ignore me. Just needed to vent.

scats

Visit site
I'm devastated. And terrrified. I am trying not to get ahead of myself but having been so positive about her trotting up sound I have come crashing down heavily. And am now assuming the worst. Minor injuries get better over time. They don't flare up again with a bit of hand walking. I try to stay positive and I have had ups and well as downs but the reality is I last competed in summer 2019 and since then I have just never had any consistency in anything. Optimism and excitement like I had with Scarlett and then with Lottie just gets snuffed out. I know competing is not the be all and end all, but actually that is why I have horses! I love my horses for themselves but my passion and inspiration is competing. Excitement about seeing progress is what gets me up and out day after day after day. All the money, time and stress is paid for in spades when I leave that start box and head out over fences. But over the last 2+ years it has just been money, time and stress sunk into a bottomless pit with 2 lame horses at the end of it all. Sorry for the pity party. A close friend broke her neck and back at the weekend and we are scrambling to try and sort her 4 horses out who all live at home with her. It should make me see that a lame horse is small fry in the grand scheme of things but actually it has just makes me more sad, anxious and overwhelmed. Espeically as I am now under pressure from my OH to literally give it all up as he just says its too dangerous, time consuming, stressful and expensive. Thank God for Dolly and Amber's pregnancy! Without those bright spots I'd be a puddle in the floor now.

I am dreading hearing that it's a suspensory and she's out for months or forever. Forgive me, ignore me. Just needed to vent.

I really feel for you and understand everything you’ve said.
I honestly can’t do this anymore after these two mares go. I genuinely don’t think my mental health can take it any more. I’m not in the position you are in, but Millie had a niggle this weekend (though she’s sound, thank god) and I feel like I’ve crashed and burned. It scares me how much my whole life is affected by the horses, to be honest.

I am sending you the best vibes I can and really, really hope it’s something that won’t be too tricky to sort out x

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
It's a justified vent, that's for sure. I, quite frankly, don't find horses to be that much of a relaxing hobby, myself. I won't be surprised if/when I just walk away from it all, tbh.

Sure I have many moments of joy and enjoyment, but it's a huge time, money, and stress type thing too.

You do have Dolly and a foal on the way, which is exciting! You're very fortunate in that you can have all of this. Hopefully with Lottie, it's nothing major. Fingers crossed.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Also it sounds silly but I loved Lottie more in a week than Toby after a year. We clicked. If she goes wrong long term I won't have another. I'll just wait for Amber's foal to grow up.

I so get this. I felt the same about Deza and Joe. The moment he arrived I knew she had to leave. I'll cross everything for you that this is just something minor.

scats

Visit site
Also it sounds silly but I loved Lottie more in a week than Toby after a year. We clicked. If she goes wrong long term I won't have another. I'll just wait for Amber's foal to grow up.

I felt like that with Diva. Within 5 minutes I loved her more than I’d ever loved the horses I had at the time (that probably sounds awful). I don’t think I’ve ever got over losing her and I think it killed a bit of me if I’m honest. Horses just haven’t been the same since.

Asha

Visit site
AE ,, this is the worst bit. The part where you panic and then over think all the scenarios. Take a step back and wait for the vet to assess her. She could have just twisted her fetlock larking about in the field. Our Finn did that it took a week and he was fine.
Youve also got the added pressure of your OH, which i understand as i get that on occasion too. Just do some pony patting for now, or even spend your time looking at what stage Ambers foal is at. I find that very exciting. Good luck, and hope it works out.

palo1

Visit site

I think this is an entirely natural reaction tbh @Ambers Echo. I am very sorry to hear about your friend too - that would also compound the stress and worry for me too. Waiting for the vet is just awful so I hope you get that over soon and you will know where you are at. Everything crossed here that things look simpler and easier to deal with soon.

TheMule

Visit site
Just to offer you some hope, mine came home from a competition looking like she had properly done a tendon- bowed, hot, swollen leg. Over the next few days swelling came right down but then a week later it was swollen again and I assumed the worst. Had it scanned expecting the worst but she just has a very minor bit of damage to check ligament that only needs 4 weeks off.

EventingMum

Visit site
Absolutely gutted for you. I don't know about others but I find horsey problems all seem to come at once. I had tens of years and lots of ponies and horses for my son and myself with no major problems and then had 3 pts at the same time all with different problems, then got another just to enjoy and lost him too. It's really put me off having another for myself. Hopefully, it's something minor with Lottie.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Well I’m not much further on really. There was no heat or swelling and leg felt totally fine so no idea where to scan. So vet blocked fetlock and she was 75% improved but he now needs to come back and block just the foot to see if it’s foot or fetlock. Once we know what hurts he will image that area. Waiting, waiting…..

palo1

Visit site
Well I’m not much further on really. There was no heat or swelling and leg felt totally fine so no idea where to scan. So vet blocked fetlock and she was 75% improved but he now needs to come back and block just the foot to see if it’s foot or fetlock. Once we know what hurts he will image that area. Waiting, waiting…..

Is there any chance it could be a hoof abcess, or bruised sole? They can be very difficult to identify and can have a come-and-go lameness pattern. Gawd, waiting is the very worst. Stay positive if you can. :)

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site

How frustrating. Seems strange to block straight to the fetlock, usually they start low and work up, as once you have started higher up, you can't then go back down! The delay must be killing you.

I had many trouble free years with horses, then a period of problem after problem. Nothing changed in my management the problems were all different in nature. Sometimes it is just the luck of the draw. I really hope it is an abscess.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i also thought it may be bruising or abscess , did you say that you took her shoes off when she arrived? apologies if it wasnt on your post, but if you did bruising could be very likely and should be easy to sort out. might be worth trying some hoof boots with gel pads..

Ambers Echo

Visit site
I did take her shoes off but as she had heat and swelling in the lower leg it seems likely that she fell or slipped in the field and got a knock where the swelling was visible which has now resolved, but at the same time pulled/twisted something somewhere else.

Re the nerve blocks - he said if you started with the foot and the pain was in the shoulder you could do loads of blocks so starting fairly low but not right at the bottom made sense to get a ball park location and then home in from there.