Expecting an exciting delivery...

dixie

Visit site
If it is bruising, and fingers crossed that it is all it is, then she would benefit from turnout in boots to protect her soles while she recovers. And again, if it is just bruising, she should instantly be more comfortable in boots, so they are quite useful as a diagnostic aid.

This in spades. Bruises can grumble on for weeks, if she's walking on the bruise or its much closer to the ground it will take much longer to heal.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
She’s such a good girl!

‘what’s this,mum?’

She is filthy and her coat is coming out in handfuls but she has not really felt like a fuss so I am keeping grooming to a minimum but once she is feeling better she will have a bath or at leasta very thorough groom!

244282641_4439291532817560_8562777254636958937_n.jpg

243568688_4439291546150892_4652111467384623722_n.jpg

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Well I am no further on. Farrier did NOT think it was hoof bruise or abcess. Not sore on hoof testers, not consistent with the history: worse on soft not hard. 3 times now she has come sound on boxrest, we have started handwalking and she has promptly gone lame again. She was sound yesterday evening. She is lame this morning on a large circle in a soft arena even in walk. Ok trotting in straight lines on tarmac. I phoned the vet and he said he would come back Monday to block but she could well be sound again by then so I can't see the point in that. She is booked into the clinic at Somerford for a full lameness workup now. So the idea is she stays there till they work out what is happening. I think TiddlyPom suggested that - should have listened! She is not insured and I can't really afford it but at this point I don't care. I just want answers - good or bad. This cycle of optimism then despair is doing my head in now.

She is getting so much more gentle in the stable. She seemed to actually enjoy being groomed today. Perhaps I will look back at this time as important in cementing our relationship. But I just can't get away from the fear that she is broken and we won't ever get going.

TheMule

Visit site
I would get the leg scanned- you say she had heat and swelling originally? Lame on soft not hard would suggest soft tissue and your best hope is for some minor damage on the leg. Worse if it’s in the foot of course as much harder to accurately diagnose.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
I asked my vet to scan the leg and he said there was nothing to feel on it - no heat, no swelling, no lumps or bumps, nothing to indicate scanning it. But the clinic will do whatever they think they need to do, which I guess might include scanning.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
The (expensive) trip to horsepital is not helping the 'get out of the world of horses, they are a nightmare' vibes from OH either....

Goldenstar

Visit site
On the reading of it my best guess is a soft tissue injury within the foot .

It’s rotten luck , I hope they find something without spending thousands and it’s something you can do something about .

EmmaC78

Visit site
Also, sorry to hear you are having a tough time. I have just started riding again after 14 months off due to horse lameness and the stress it brings when they are not right can make it a real struggle to stay positive. I hope you get some answers soon.

NinjaPony

Visit site
So sorry to hear about this, it’s so hard to stay positive when it feels like an endless cycle of lameness. Fingers crossed for some answers and an fixable issue.

Squeak

Visit site
Sorry to hear it's not a more positive update yet. You've had such rotten luck recently and I really hope that you get good news from Somerford.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I would also be pushing to scan at this point, i think it presented with heat and swelling at the start? I've rehabbed my fair share of soft tissue injuries and a couple have shown only fleeting heat and filling and then subsided but been there when we've scanned. Kira's SDFT was like that, it also took 2 scans to find as it was quite small and she wasn't remotely sore on the lesion but it was definitely there.

Hope it's something easily found and resolved, horses are such a major source of worry.

NightStock

Visit site
She looks lovely, hopefully you'll get some answers pretty soon and have a plan of action. It is easy to say and less to do but take it a day at a time and hopefully this will be a distant memory soon.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
AE could you consider Ashbrook instead? I fear you are going to end up needing an MRI and W&M i think don't have one and will refer you elsewhere with a delay and additional cost and worry, but Ashbrook do. They also have the orthopaedic vet who used to head up Leahurst, Ellen.

ETA I am so sorry to read this, you must be utterly frantic, especially with no support from your OH.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
To be fair my OH is very supportive in general. But I am a bit of a nightmare when it comes to finances. We bought Lottie from savings funded by the eventual sale of Dolly. Then I had to stop driving my lorry mid season and so bought a trailer on the assumption the lorry would sell easily. Which it didn't. And now vets bills are adding up. He just says we have reached his red line of not spending money we actually don;t have! Borrowing a bit against future sales is how I have done loads of stuff but it does not always work out as planned - Bought Jenny before Max sold and then of course he was retired. Borrowed for Dolly on the future sale of Jenny etc. It all works out in the end though. I just work a bit harder and make more. But he is much more cautious than I am. And actually the money is only part of the issue - it is him seeing the impact of horses going wrong. He loved seeing me out eventing but seeing me weeping into my cornflakes is not selling the joys of horsey life quite as well!

Ambers Echo

Visit site
YCBM I might end up MRIing but I am at Somerford running a camp next week anyway and 2 friends have used Claire, at W&M there, and say she was fab in assessing the lameness. Again after their usual vet had no real answers. Said she has a very good eye and can usually tell which bit hurts. So I will start there and see where we end up.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
So turns out it’s the pelvis ??

Claire is a genius. She watched Lottie trot and canter on the lunge and said she could see why the eye is drawn to right fore - plus that’s where the swelling was and she was better when blocked - but she thought the pelvis of the main source of pain. So she blocked that and Lottie looked amazing. God she moves well. Right fore appears to have resolved. Treating the pelvis with steroid injections and some sort of wave therapy. Fingers crossed.

Hurray for a vet with a good eye.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Well there's a turn up! I'm sure you've got a treatment and rehab plan AE, I hope the prognosis was good.

She’s staying till Thursday. Claire has a few more things she wants to check out and a treatment plan to start. Yes I’m sure I’ll have plenty of guidance on when/how to bring her back into work. Claire said she optimistic it was fixable. And that ‘she’s a very nice horse!’ Well I know that but nice too hear anyway.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Well that's fantastic that you have some answers at least and know where to focus your energy. Fingers crossed some therapy and rehab will see her right