Experience's with Magnesium

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Agreed, I was also thinking of a salt lick also. Calcium calmers are a load of balls, would be the first thing I'd bin.
Not if you knew my horse sorry. I tried all the calmers around and they made it worse - this is the only one which reduced the spooking from 85% to 10%. Prior to this situation, all the supplements un changed, I ran out of calmer, for a week due to covid, and the spooking returned, lunging hacking, came through and started back on and it went back to normal so I know it works.
Oh and it has a Himalayan rack salt

Last edited:

Elno

Visit site
The horse is on trickle feeding, I am only giving grass sprinkled out in the paddock to give the horse something to nibble on, I could not have kept the horse out there with nothing or he would have got ulcers. All the forage wa slow calorie and the horse was exercised 6 times a week. it was only when it was in the starvation paddock which is 20meter circle it had those items. Last thing I need is for it to have hardly any grazing to graze on while it was recovering from the injury. It would have charged about hungry and put itself back on box rest.

Yes almost guarantee but not 100% :)I will need the calmer sorry, when I first got the horse it had no supplements at all, it was mega spooky and made hacking unpleasant. It is very sound reactive and sight reactive a typical spooky horse. We used this calmer and the spooking dropped from 85% to 10 %. The horse is now out with its group and seems much more relaxed so honestly the vet and I think it was the pony nuts and mag, along with the situation of being boxed to round pen. Vet up tomorrow so may no more.

To ad since the horse is now out, all the grass, treat ball, hay ball the lot has stopped as the horse does not need it now.

Okey! ? Thanks for clearing it up for me ?

Birker2020

Visit site
Vets now told me to leave her 3 days no riding or grooming. Magnesium out her system now, still nervy, jumped back away from me when I put her body brush on her.
backs away when I try put lead rope on to catch her, tried to give her a polo earlier, she blowing at it eyes wide touched it and jumped back polos shatter on the floor. Horse is now out in the field with the others, I am at a loss now, vet wants to come up next week and has a few ideas, regumate etc, taking her in to surgery etc.
it is really getting me down this, she calls to me when she sees me but then changes, trainer on board pats her on neck after riding she jumps out her skin. I can't keep doing this, she is making no effort, nothing bad has happened since the first noticeable incident of personality. I am so upset to see my horse so scared of everything and everyone. Taken all supplements off except calmer and flexi joint - behaviourist is is an option. I just don't want to be near the horse when I get this reception.:(

I'm really confused. In post 1 'she' was a gelding, now she is a 'mare', then you change everything to 'the horse'. I understand if you are trying to protect your privacy but if it is a mare could it have issues with ovaries like some do? Maybe this is why she is so spooky.

My friends horse was like this, eventually she had a marble put in her womb. I hope you manage to get it resolved anyway. I know regumate can be expensive, Equifeast do a 'stroppy mare' and a 'balanced mare' feed if that helps.

Last edited:

Bellaboo18

Visit site
This horse just sounds extremely stressed out...6 months box rest, now individual turnout with very odd feeding....why isn't he/she fed hay if on restricted grazing?
Ulcers have got to be a huge possibility.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
The horse sounds like it's really unhappy with the whole situation, the individual small paddock can cause issues one of mine hated it, it sounds like it could be a lack of proper forage horses seem to get contentment from eating a nice hay net of hay, having to search for blades of chaff in a bare paddock sounds stressful, my horses can get a bit frantic if they don't get enough hay even when on a bare field nibbling and having to search for a blade of grass just doesn't cut it for most horses.

I understand your trying to cut feed because of a weight issue but it sounds a bit extreme and I would rather feed a soaked hay net than a bucket of chaff.

Ellibelli

Visit site
This horse just sounds extremely stressed out...6 months box rest, now individual turnout with very odd feeding....why isn't he/she fed hay if on restricted grazing?
This - I'm surprised your vet doesn't think it could be ulcers. The behaviour sounds ulcery and injury / box rest / change of routine / stresshead are all possible causes of ulcers and your horse has gone through them all? Could it be that the calcium in Equifeast helps calm the ulcers (but it won't heal them), hence the improved behaviour?

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
The horse is on haylage due equine airways disease. vet is restricting calories of too much haylage, anyway horse out now with the group. the horses have haylage when they come in of an evening

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
The horse sounds like it's really unhappy with the whole situation, the individual small paddock can cause issues one of mine hated it, it sounds like it could be a lack of proper forage horses seem to get contentment from eating a nice hay net of hay, having to search for blades of chaff in a bare paddock sounds stressful, my horses can get a bit frantic if they don't get enough hay even when on a bare field nibbling and having to search for a blade of grass just doesn't cut it for most horses.

I understand your trying to cut feed because of a weight issue but it sounds a bit extreme and I would rather feed a soaked hay net than a bucket of chaff.
tried soaked hay all different times from over night to hay and hour and damp hay and the equine airways disease flared up and a 10 day course of ventipulmin as the bad coughing returned.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
We have had bloods everything normal except the magnesium which was elevated. We are trying a vet behaviourist as it is ME the problem is with everyone else can touch and pet the horse except me

Pinkvboots

Visit site
We have had bloods everything normal except the magnesium which was elevated. We are trying a vet behaviourist as it is ME the problem is with everyone else can touch and pet the horse except me

Have you been handling or touching something that maybe she can smell on you, one of mine gets a bit weird with new yard gloves if I try and take rugs off or go near him with them on.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I wouldn’t take a thing that person at Equifeast says with a truckload of salt.
Its obvious you have no trust in Equifeast, but I have used their products for 5 years and had great success. So have others on this yard. I got the message you won't recommend them, but please their product might work for others. Their calmer is mag free, something most others are not so it is pointless me trying others.

So far they have been on the ball with this mare so I will not be taking her off it, as already mentioned 3 weeks ago I ran out and the spooking at anything returned and since this has happened at least twice due to slow postage I think I can safely say it works on this horse.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Have you been handling or touching something that maybe she can smell on you, one of mine gets a bit weird with new yard gloves if I try and take rugs off or go near him with them on.
He does get wary if he sees me with a hammer and then put it away or any other yard tool like strimmer then I go to the stable. When the trainer was up yesterday, there was less issue with the trainer, than first thing this morning with me backing away suspicious looks, till I grabbed a handful of haylage then he reached out an took it. SO yes to your answer if he sees me . Making sure hands are clean when I go over near the stable.

Last edited:

Spirit2021

Visit site
So it obviously a mare you have not a gelding by the way you keep referring it to. Check her overys I had a mare on loan in the past and had overy problem. If you don’t want people to know then don’t post here. You do realize people will still be identified you by your story if they now you in real life.

Casey76

Visit site
Its obvious you have no trust in Equifeast, but I have used their products for 5 years and had great success. So have others on this yard. I got the message you won't recommend them, but please their product might work for others. Their calmer is mag free, something most others are not so it is pointless me trying others.

So far they have been on the ball with this mare so I will not be taking her off it, as already mentioned 3 weeks ago I ran out and the spooking at anything returned and since this has happened at least twice due to slow postage I think I can safely say it works on this horse.

The owner/company have dubious ethics and a propensity for spouting mis/disinformation to promote their products. So, no. No trust from me.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site

Have you ever had any mineral analysis done on your grazing and forage? Given that not only you but other people on the yard are having sucess supplementing Calcium makes me wonder if that is what is lacking locally.

The reason most calmers are Magnesium based is that that is what tends to be short in the UK and Calcium tends to be high. Forage analyses I have had done in a few places round here confirm this is true for where I am. So high in fact that my last horse couldn't even tolerate calcium rich feed and sugarbeet.

However this will not be true of everywhere and there will always be local differences.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
The owner/company have dubious ethics and a propensity for spouting mis/disinformation to promote their products. So, no. No trust from me.
I am sure they would love to read your comment.

Thank you everyone else for your suggestions and comments.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
i think what's hard to understand, is why keep it up when everyone who knew you as AC also knows your current identity? It does seem like a weird thing to do.