Facebook - Horse shot by livery owner

Clara Mo 3

Visit site
ih my name is dan I am trying to get a hold of the lady how as had the hores shot by Harvey at the gg center this guy shot 3 of my best black & white cobs 3years ago and the police would not charge him I have been taking legal action on him
I phone hores & hound today they have my details I think I can help you and you can help me as two cases as got to be better than one & this guy must be stoped from looking after horses
please get in touch thank you danny

If the person in question doesn't come forward, PM me and I may be able to bring you together so to speak.

Dry Rot

Visit site
Dry Rot,

Someone would report the animal cruelty and the owner would be prosecuted. The RSPCA would rescue the dog.

If removed by a concerned person, they would face no charges unless they refused to return the dog. Theft has to have the intention to permanently deprive the owner of the goods.

Well, the facts did not actually pan out as you suggest they should have. The SSPCA knew all about it and did not prosecute. And I very much doubt the thief would have returned the dog to a life of hell.

cptrayes

Visit site
Well, the facts did not actually pan out as you suggest they should have. The SSPCA knew all about it and did not prosecute. And I very much doubt the thief would have returned the dog to a life of hell.

So was the 'thief' prosecuted? And of so, what was the penalty, because I doubt that there would have been much of a punishment for that 'theft'. Clearly the value of the dog to the owner was no more than its cash value, if that, so the punishment would be the same if higher penalties were allowed.

I really don't understand why you are continuing this discussion. You don't agree, I get that. Are you going to keep coming up with one example after another to try to get me to agree with you? That'll be a bit tiresome for us all.

Last edited:

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Dry Rot,

Someone would report the animal cruelty and the owner would be prosecuted. The RSPCA would rescue the dog.

If removed by a concerned person, they would face no charges unless they refused to return the dog. Theft has to have the intention to permanently deprive the owner of the goods.

Sorry, I haven't kept up to date with this thread, but just caught these latest posts. If the rescuer claimed that they owned the dog, the abuser would then have to prove ownership, which is not so simple and would be costly. A friend had a cat that visited a neighbour, who then claimed it belonged to her. The police weren't interested and unless he was prepared to take legal action at his own (prohibitive) expense, there was nothing he could do.

Dry Rot

Visit site
So was the 'thief' prosecuted? And of so, what was the penalty, because I doubt that there would have been much of a punishment for that 'theft'. Clearly the value of the dog to the owner was no more than its cash value, if that, so the punishment would be the same if higher penalties were allowed.

I really don't understand why you are continuing this discussion. You don't agree, I get that. Are you going to keep coming up with one example after another to try to get me to agree with you? That'll be a bit tiresome for us all.

You don't seem to like people disagreeing with you, do you? I'm afraid that's what happens in a discussion! My example explained a real life situation where we have an uncaring owner (except as regards possession of what she clearly sees as an inanimate object without feelings) and a very caring thief. I was interested to hear how your proposals would cover that situation which is a complete opposite to the case cited in the header.

I thought your petition was to initiate a discussion in Parliament? I have noticed that you don't seem to want discussion on this forum, especially when it does not further your case. A suggestion that the law of tort already covered the problem was dismissed pretty quickly with an "I don't know". How do you test a theory without questioning?

No, the thief was not prosecuted as he/she was not caught and the owner regards her animals as possessions that she owns, no more. Her ponies graze in a sea of ragwort with barely any grass so feeding has to be supplemented with hay all the year round to appease the welfare organisations. Would you like photos? Yet she will not part with the animals.

It is possible to become emotionally attached to possessions without being concerned about things like welfare, except the minimum required by law as that introduces other factors. If the animals appear physically healthy, there is not much the welfare organisations can do. She is known locally as a hoarder who won't part with anything and her animals are "things" that come into that category.

commandcentre1.jpg

cptrayes

Visit site
I don't have any problem with being disagreed with Dry Rot. What I have a problem with is people who go on and on posting the same things that don't move a discussion forward as if in some attempt to make me change my mind.

If you raised something new, I would be happy to discuss, but you aren't raising any new points.

Why are YOU so unhappy simply to agree that we disagree?

Dry Rot

Visit site
I don't have any problem with being disagreed with Dry Rot. What I have a problem with is people who go on and on posting the same things that don't move a discussion forward as if in some attempt to make me change my mind.

If you raised something new, I would be happy to discuss, but you aren't raising any new points.

Why are YOU so unhappy simply to agree that we disagree?

So, no answers yet again!:D

Overread

www.flickr.com
No, not a thing I understand.

Although the RSPCA have left the site and it sounds like some of the livery people also left; although there's been no update in a long while as to if more have left the site. So at least in the short term business must be down on the site. We also have to wait and see if this remains the case long term - or if this is only a short term change the centre will resume normal operation once the frenzy over this case has died down.

Dry Rot

Visit site
Dry Rot - who is the dog..is it in need of rescuing ?

While I was taking the photograph, a couple appeared and I asked if they were taking care of the dog for the owner. I did intend giving the case some publicity because, amongst other things, both my neighbour and myself were fed up with the dog's nightly howling. Yes, I could have taken the dog but my grandfather was a very senior police officer and I was brought up to work within the law, not break it.

The couple said they were nothing to do with the dog and had only stopped to get some water for their car from a water trough as it was over heating. We got chatting and they were told the story about the dog. I then left but had to go a few hundred yards up the road to turn the car. When I passed the site on my return, one of the couple was walking towards the dog with what looked like some food in a paper bag.

Next day, the carer had turned up as usual to feed and water to find no dog. Then all hell broke loose. The owner knows how to use the Press! I got a call from the police and I told them what I have written here. (They already knew the background). The dog has not been seen since -- thank God! The owner is not right in the head. But as the animals always appear to be in good physical condition, nothing can be done. She used to have several dogs but I never saw one of them being walked in all the 12 years she has lived on the site. I am tempted to put up a web site as I have photographs, witness statements, and there is a lot more. In my opinion, the authorities have let the animals down badly but what they can do is limited.

Sorry, CPT, to hijack the thread. But it does go to show that not all owners are caring, in the conventional sense of the word anyway, nor are all thieves cold blooded criminals out for a quick buck.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
While I was taking the photograph, a couple appeared and I asked if they were taking care of the dog for the owner. I did intend giving the case some publicity because, amongst other things, both my neighbour and myself were fed up with the dog's nightly howling. Yes, I could have taken the dog but my grandfather was a very senior police officer and I was brought up to work within the law, not break it.

The couple said they were nothing to do with the dog and had only stopped to get some water for their car from a water trough as it was over heating. We got chatting and they were told the story about the dog. I then left but had to go a few hundred yards up the road to turn the car. When I passed the site on my return, one of the couple was walking towards the dog with what looked like some food in a paper bag.

Next day, the carer had turned up as usual to feed and water to find no dog. Then all hell broke loose. The owner knows how to use the Press! I got a call from the police and I told them what I have written here. (They already knew the background). The dog has not been seen since -- thank God! The owner is not right in the head. But as the animals always appear to be in good physical condition, nothing can be done. She used to have several dogs but I never saw one of them being walked in all the 12 years she has lived on the site. I am tempted to put up a web site as I have photographs, witness statements, and there is a lot more. In my opinion, the authorities have let the animals down badly but what they can do is limited.

Sorry, CPT, to hijack the thread. But it does go to show that not all owners are caring, in the conventional sense of the word anyway, nor are all thieves cold blooded criminals out for a quick buck.
The problem with using unusual circumstances like the one outlined, is that they are unusual and there will always be anomalous situations, this does not negate the principal of the need for the majority to be protected by the law.

Smurf's Gran

Visit site

Well it sounds as if the dog was rescued, good for you (and the couple!)

Clara Mo 3

Visit site
He was wanting the number of the lady's number who's horse it was and who's garden it was dumped in...she was halfway through buying the horse

That may be the case but he has been in touch with me and said he has what he needs. just trying to stop people wasting their time when he is satisfied he has what he needs already.

Goldenstar

Visit site
And if that's the case, then everyone needs to stop commenting their opinion on t'interweb until the trial is over, or we risk the trial falling over.

This is ridiculous of course people don't have to stop commenting .
People directly involved ought not of course .
Very very good news about the criminal damage charge .

Merrymoles

Visit site
This is ridiculous of course people don't have to stop commenting .

Once someone is charged with an offence, the case becomes sub judice and reporting restrictions come into force. A good defence lawyer could argue that those judging the matter, whether magistrates or jury, could be influenced by reading about it, whether in the traditional media or on the internet and some high profile cases have ground to a halt because of this.

Anyone who publishes information about the case - which includes posting on the internet - may found to be in contempt of court.

It doesn't prevent debate of the bigger issue generally but anyone who posts specific information, whether true or false, about the details of the case should be very careful.

Dolcé

Visit site
Oh lord I am beginning to lose the will to live and to see why some people whose opinions I respected seem to have left the forum in recent years.

I will continue to believe that someone taking the life of or harming an animal with malicious intent deserves a greater penalty than those available for low-value criminal damage.

I am not sure why we have to debate a hundred different scenarios.

There will always be different circumstances in every case and the charge and penalty will depend on those circumstances. In the case of ann-jen's horse, for which I offer my sympathy, had she been a human, the driver would probably have been charged with causing death by careless driving or manslaughter, due to the lack of intent. However, if they had mown someone down on purpose, there would have been a charge carrying a heavier penalty.

In terms of civil law, in the case that someone shot my horse maliciously, I probably could not afford to pursue a case for damages and, in any case, money would not be the issue.

That's my tuppenceworth and I will bow out now.

You said it all really, it isn't about the money/value, it is about the penalty given by the Courts. CPT started the petition following the shock and upset at the beginning of the thread, and the total disbelief of so many that criminal damage would be the only avenue open to the police if cruelty couldn't be proven. I am shocked at the petty arguments being put forward by some, if you don't want to sign it then don't sign it but don't keep blathering on about how wrong it is. It would seem that some have to 'have a go' at every chance they get and knock people, say your piece and just leave it there.

cptrayes

Visit site
this morning Leighton got charged with criminal damage. it's going to trial

That'll be interesting. If it goes to a Magistrates Court, the maximum sentence possible, for a spree of severe damage is six months, of which he would serve three. I think he's unlikely to get anything like that for a first conviction, probably a community penalty. So don't get your hopes up for a penalty that you think he deserves, guys, even if he is found guilty, which may be a challenge.