Facebook - Horse shot by livery owner

rockysmum

Visit site
Just wondered what on earth this is about

Its coming up on a lot of Facebook groups

A large livery yard owner has apparently shot a horse and dumped it in her garden over a small debt

Not going to mention names, but what the hell

Is it true, there are very distressing pics of the dead horse in her garden.

Illusion100

Visit site
"Tasha Jo ʚϊɞ‎York Equestrian

Shocking news for the gg centre at raskelf .. Owner shot a girls horse and dumped it in her garden cause she owed £30 livery !!!!!!!"

Above copied and pasted from a Public post available via FB. No idea whether it is true or not.

Last edited:

Chavhorse

Visit site
If it is true that the police are involved then all the naming and shaming and suggestion of vigilante groups will only serve to totally screw up any successful prosecution and make a legal victim out of a possible perpetrator.

ribbons

Visit site
Do you mean she literally shot it herself, or arranged for it to be shot and failed to get the body removed. Isn't both illegal?

I understood only a registered person could shoot a horse (whoever owns it) with a specific gun (vet, knacker man, huntsman)
Even then the person organising the shooting is not allowed to leave the body lying around.

rockysmum

Visit site
Firstly, My thoughts are with the poor owner. I hope that yard owner is prosecuted and gets a custodial sentence.

Apparently not, this morning it is being discussed that livery owners have to agree to this before they move onto the yard. If you owe any money they shoot the horse and deliver it to you. Apparently it is not the first time it has happened.

First time I have ever seen anything like that actually happen.

Poor poor owner and her kids, just shows you need to check out the place and contract very carefully before using these places

charlie76

Visit site
The livery yard owner shot it, took it in a front loader tractor bucket and dumped it over the horses owners hedge in her garden. Unbelievable!

Mariposa

Visit site
Just seen this on Facebook, with a distressing photo too. Can't believe this is true? How can someone shoot a horse over a £30 debt?

SadKen

Visit site
Apparently not, this morning it is being discussed that livery owners have to agree to this before they move onto the yard. If you owe any money they shoot the horse and deliver it to you. Apparently it is not the first time it has has happened.

If that is the case and no prosecution can take place, I think naming, shaming and putting out of business is justified in this case (but not vigilantism, to be clear... No place for that, as people who mean well shouldn't be the ones prosecuted over this). If there had been Facebook publicity last time this had happened, maybe this horse wouldn't have ended up dead.

What a barbaric policy. Poor owner and poor horse.

rockysmum

Visit site
I really wish I had not looked at the threads, I feel sick after seeing the pics.

What is really good to see is the other thread started by people with a spare fields and stables offering help to those who want to get off the yard quickly. Good how the horsey community help each other

Equi

Visit site
Thi sis truely shocking. How long did they owe this measly £30?!?! If that was my horse i would not be a free person for long as i would be in jail for something very bad.

ljohnsonsj

Visit site
It is the owners of a popular 'fun day out' yard in Thirsk in York, he shot the horse, abused it and dumped it in the owners front garden

Last edited:

Ladyinred

Visit site
I think we all need to be very careful that we don't prejudice any legal case by a trial by FB or by HHO. All we have so far is a screenshot of someone's phone, hardly a proven fact.

Merrymoles

Visit site
I think we all need to be very careful that we don't prejudice any legal case by a trial by FB or by HHO. All we have so far is a screenshot of someone's phone, hardly a proven fact.

Very true. I haven't commented on the Fb page with that in mind. If, and there is always an if, there is truth in this, I would far rather see a successful prosecution which would lead to coverage in traditional media than libellous comments on social media which may hinder justice.

ETA - I am not saying there is any reason I don't believe the story but I do think there should be caution in what is said on forums.

ljohnsonsj

Visit site
I think that the naming and shaming all over fb and other networks will only end up being a good thing. Nothing will bring that poor ladies horse back, nor will it get rid of the awful image she will have in her head for a long time. By making this place known for what it has done nobody will use it and liveries will all move on. I hope the police/RSPCA really do shut this place down, but do agree the shaming should be done by higher authorities not just the public