Failed the vet so the search is back on

Starbucks

Visit site
I only put her advert live again yesterday and had 2 people interested. Put her on Facebook a week ago and had the usual folk who seem interested then you never hear from again! Hopefully I’ll get someone to come and look at her eventually!

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
The ad reads well enough but the single rather blurred photo is doing nothing to sell her, it would be fine if you had a decent one of her stood up but that alone is going to be overlooked by most people browsing through the ads, unless the breeding appeals there is nothing to really make her stand out from the many others available.

Just thought the same, great ad but the photo is bad and would instantly put me off. I advertised my gelding once and put 4 photos and 1 video. One of his gorgeous head, one stood sideways in a head collar for confirmation, one jumping XC (photographer took so very clear this was the main one to get people thinking oooo hes nice) and one flat work that we took the day before I advertised him. He got tons of interest and I really do think the photos encouraged people then the video let them to enquire. Looks a lovely mare. You have to set her out better than the others, so many have a video these days and I think people prefer to see as much as they can before they enquire.

Starbucks

Visit site
Thanks. I have tried to get good pictures but don’t seem to manage!! My other thread about the XC, I was thinking if I do the 80 I should at least get a good pic!!

catembi

Visit site
Oh dear, I am sorry everyone but I have bought the one that failed the vet and he’s coming in an hour.

I know, I know, wtf am I playing at when there are so many lovely sound horses like SB’s. But he didn’t scare me, which seems to be a higher priority for me now than sheer performance. I had a good chat with my farrier and we shall see. I won’t expect any sympathy in a few months’ time when I am still riding my NF cos I couldn’t get the new one sound... Oh well, it’s done now... and he’s on his way! 😄😄

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I’ve looked but I can’t find anything about what’s happened to Summer? Am I being a bit dense or have I missed something vital that you’re looking for something new?

Po Knee

Visit site
I hope he arrived safely, is settled in and can be sorted out in the farriery department.

Best of luck with him, I hope you get to have a lot of fun!

Oh, and a pic or two perhaps? Pretty please...

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Oh dear, I am sorry everyone but I have bought the one that failed the vet and he’s coming in an hour.

I know, I know, wtf am I playing at when there are so many lovely sound horses like SB’s. But he didn’t scare me, which seems to be a higher priority for me now than sheer performance. I had a good chat with my farrier and we shall see. I won’t expect any sympathy in a few months’ time when I am still riding my NF cos I couldn’t get the new one sound... Oh well, it’s done now... and he’s on his way! 😄😄

Pics please! :D I hope the new horse stays sound for you.

whiteflower

Visit site
I think I may have seen the advert for the horse you have brought (not many dun qh X about !). If so I wish you the best with him and hope you are able to make some drastic changes to the way he goes undersaddle in order to give him a chance of long term soundness. For me the advert I saw (if it's correct one) had pictures showing a horse which I would have guessed would be lame just from his posture and movement in the pictures. I fear you may have a rocky road ahead....but some people enjoy that challenge of turning a horse round (me being one of them!) So I really do wish you luck.....and I hope you didn't pay much as you may need to spend a fair bit in the near future, just from what the vetting said alone !!

Sometimes taking a chance pays off, sometimes you end up with an unrideable horse at the end of it, depends how much you like to take a gamble 😉

Keep us updated

Leo Walker

Visit site
I just wanted to wish you good luck with him. I'd do a PSSM test and if that came back negative I would trial managing as if he PSSM based on a vet fail and what WF says above.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
What fun! Keep us updated, won't you? I second the 'treat as PSSM' advice you've been given by LW. It could account for the shuffle behind and the soreness in front and with QH genes the chances are pretty high.

PoppyAnderson

Visit site
Footsore bilaterally in front, dragging toes bilaterally behind, 1/10 flexion test in one hock. You can really see stuff on concrete that isn’t apparent in the school...

I took a chance on one sold for peanuts that was lame. Barefoot rehab later and it's now ded sound, goes out for miles every day, out hunting and jumping (still barefoot and a tb!). Footsore is a pretty generic term & could mean anything. Not sure if you're a barefoot advocate or not but it'll be your best chance of getting it sound. Good luck!

maisie06

Visit site
Wow, ODG! My record to date is two fails per purchase event...!

I am about to ride my NF. She might have to learn to hack. I weigh 49kg clothed. Would it be unfair to hack her if I keep it sub hour? She is fairly sturdy... I am not sure if she would BD/BS though. I am going to keep on educating her for now as I have nothing else to ride!

Crack on with her - she may just surprise you! Might as well have some fun while looking for something suitable...I know of a NF that competes at Advanced Medium dressage so nothing stopping you, and you could well have 10k plus in your pocket when it comes to selling her!!!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site

ycbm

Visit site
But that's 14.2, a totally different kettle of fish for pony teams. OP has a 12hh.....

It's also thirty two thousand euros (half the price of the other ponies on the site) and another poster was being scoffed at for light heartedly suggesting that a small dressage pony could possibly ever be worth more than £10k no matter what level it was competing at, even though she knew of one.

The Fuzzy Furry

Visit site
It's also thirty two thousand euros and another poster was being scoffed at for light heartedly suggesting that a small dressage pony could possibly ever be worth more than £10k no matter what level it was competing at, even though she knew of one.
There is a hell of a lot of difference between 12hh and 14.2, as am sure you'd appreciate.

ycbm

Visit site
There is a hell of a lot of difference between 12hh and 14.2, as am sure you'd appreciate.

I certainly do appreciate that. I also appreciate there's a hell of a difference between €80k euros, which was the average price for an FEI pony on that site, and £10k from a doting parent for a dancing pony for their little angel.

What I didn't appreciate so much was a nice, fun, lighthearted comment by Maisie to Catembi being rubbished without any basis. I was only trying to support Maisie, I'm sorry you had to make such a big thing of it :(

Last edited:

Leo Walker

Visit site
I stand by my comment. Even if the OP spent the next 6 to 10yrs schooling the 12 hand NF to PSG, if by some chance it achieved that which is very, very, very unlikely given the OP wants to show jump, its still not going to be worth 10k. Its not being rubbished with no basis. There is an enormous difference between 14.2hh performance bred FEI teams ponies and a 12hand NF.

And I am sorry that you had to make such a big thing of it, I'd like to say I'm surprised but I'm just not.

Bellaboo18

Visit site
Good luck OP. As someone that loves to take a 'gamble', I've got my fingers crossed for you. Having said that I think you're very sensible to buy something you feel confident on. Keep us updated :) xx

The Fuzzy Furry

Visit site
Friend sold her part nf 15 years ago well in excess of that (working at advanced).
I've sold 2 foresters into 5 figures a good number of years ago, both were over 14hh, one to Holland and the other to Germany.
I hope OP enjoys hers but I think it's very unlikely that a 12hh will command anything like the figures bandied about. Yes, I've also sold top 12hh ponies for very good money but nowhere over 5k.