Failed the vet so the search is back on

SO1

Visit site
Good luck I think you are taking a hefty risk as you wanted a horse you could ride now, and you had a decent budget so you could have held out for a sound horse. I hope you got the horse for a very good discount.

I presume the vet has said the horse is ok to be ridden in its current state and you will get the issues investigated in more detail by your own vet so you know exactly what you are dealing with behind the toe dragging and potential hock issue and the footsore in front is not the start of laminitis...

The other risk you have taken is that the horse may be docile because of the above mentioned issues and if it is returned to full soundness may not be the quiet hacking horse you want.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I'm a bit confused because I do know one for sale but it was the other side of the country :p so maybe there are more about than we think ;).

Also the only QHx I've ever ridden is pretty epic, see above ^^^^

Follysmum

Visit site
Good luck with your new neddy
Some of my best purchases have been on a gut feeling. Hope it all works out for you

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I have no idea re soundness as I have no idea of the horse itself as I am not currently looking (other than for SLH :p) but I have ridden loads of pure quarter horses and they have all been wonderful.

Good luck and I hope your vet can give guidance on how to proceed.

Myloubylou

Visit site
I was lucky to spend a summer as a guide on a QH ranch in North Dakota. I rode western on trails and also barrels and roping. All the horses I rode were intelligent and safe but had that spark. Am sure you’ll have fun catembi

Leo Walker

Visit site
I don't think LW is saying it never happens, she's just saying it's unlikely. Correct me if I'm wrong LW.

Yup, because of the height more than anything. There are NF selling for 10k +. But this is just YBCM attempting to derail the thread so I'm not going to comment about it anymore. I'm sure the advice is to not feed trolls ;)

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Yup, because of the height more than anything. There are NF selling for 10k +. But this is just YBCM attempting to derail the thread so I'm not going to comment about it anymore. I'm sure the advice is to not feed trolls ;)

Actually it was ycbm attempting to support Maisie, who you had stamped on for a lighthearted comment. She's a poster who every long term site user will know doesn't always have the highest self esteem in the world.

This thread had nicely gone on from that point, back to Catembi's new horse for several posts and I think it's clear that the person who has derailed it is you, not me.

Catembi, when do we get some photos!!! :) pretty please

Last edited:

catembi

Visit site
Oh dear, what have you all been up to while I've been playing ponies? I have somehow managed to infect my computer with adverts for a s*x site while looking for an anatomical biothane bridle, so while I am waiting for my virus scan to finish, I shalll provide an update!

NF/ponies in general & pricing - I used to have lessons at a well known comp centre & a pony was staying there for rehab. Said pony looked not unlike said NF, it jumped & it had either just been bought or just been sold for (don't rem exactly...) £110k. Might have been as much as £150k. It was a showjumper, not an out & out world beater, but a decent pony competitive towards the higher levels but INJURED & it was still 'worth' that...

I have seen NFs the same as mine with not much more training advertised for £2.5k, which I thought was optimistic, and trained ones for up to £5k, i.e. good allrounders, not PSG/Foxhunters etc. She is just my little project! It s doing her general demeanour a lot of good, having a little part time job to do.

Summer - she was spooky out hacking & also aggressive on the ground. I fell off her once out hacking & she ran home on the road, & I had to run home after her in full hi-viz with the neighbours watching... She was doing the sort of spook/spins that you are lucky to sit as much as skilful due to them coming out of nowhere & being v violent. I couldn't lunge or really school at home due to the state of the ground. I was doing lessons a 10 min hack away and that was stopped due to the flu outbreak as it was an eventing yard. She bit me extremely hard for no reason, and on a separate occasion, charged at me, grabbed me by my coat & pinned me up against the fence. O/h was terrified of her & he does have to do rugs, feed etc now & then. He is a lot older than me, non horsey & not v agile. She was only like this with me...the chap that did our fencing also played polocrosse & rode her a few times, normally when I was despairing after she had been v naughty with me & she was irritatingly fine with him. We had had one particularly fraught hack with a v hard spooky-spin for no reason that I only **just** sat... I did everything right but was still v v lucky as it was one of those where it could have gone either way. Followed up with another 4 or 5 spooks, then just when I was counting my chickens & feeling pleased with myself, she tripped over a tree root going downhill in mud & we both went head over heels. She was v v upset, I *had* to get back on as she was too upset to lead & we had to go on the road, in jumping saddle so stirrups way up there, trying to climb on standing on a hillock of mud while she spun around me & tried to run off... Managed it on my 2nd attempt... Anyway, he hacked her out 3 days later, I put my trail running shoes on & followed ALL the way...& she was 110% perfect. Not a spook, nothing.

New horse...I don't want to say too much about where he came from but someone thinks they have seen the advert, so it is a dealer who currently only has another couple for sale, if that narrows it down. In the Home Counties.

Failed the vet on soundness in front. Lungeing on concrete in a circle. He is b/f & feet look as if they have been trimmed to shoe rather than b/f trim. Farrier is confident that they can be significantly improved. We hacked out yesterday on hard tracks & road, & he felt totally sound to me, or I'd have turned back. I am a full-on b/f person & understand about diet, I have all my b/f products etc so we shall see. Too much grass, wrong trim & no care can have quite an effect.

It was a heart thing because I couldn't bear to think of him being shod 'to make him go sound'. He is also a gentle, affectionate creature, v pretty head, o/h likes him which is important. I will do some photos later! Yeah, I do realise that I'm barking but...dunno really! No defence!

Last edited:

catembi

Visit site
Summer has gone to a friend of the fencer's who is male, probably twice my weight & also doesn't seem to have any trouble with her. This whole thing has been extremely bad for my ego. There was a log in a hedge that Summer didn't like & when following, I warned the fencer that the scarey log was coming up, & stood well clear. She didn't spook but had a bit of a snort & he made her go round & round in figure 8s right by it. Then when I asked what he did to stop her spooking, he said, right bend, leg on. But that's exactly what *I* had done...flex away from the scarey thing, leg on! Yet it worked for him & not for me... Dunno. Anyway, I had to swallow my pride & admit defeat. She's now happy, I'm happy, my new horse is happy so everything's happy except my bank balance, & that's a given with horses.

whiteflower

Visit site
Summer has gone to a friend of the fencer's who is male, probably twice my weight & also doesn't seem to have any trouble with her. This whole thing has been extremely bad for my ego. There was a log in a hedge that Summer didn't like & when following, I warned the fencer that the scarey log was coming up, & stood well clear. She didn't spook but had a bit of a snort & he made her go round & round in figure 8s right by it. Then when I asked what he did to stop her spooking, he said, right bend, leg on. But that's exactly what *I* had done...flex away from the scarey thing, leg on! Yet it worked for him & not for me... Dunno. Anyway, I had to swallow my pride & admit defeat. She's now happy, I'm happy, my new horse is happy so everything's happy except my bank balance, & that's a given with horses.

Sometimes people just don't click with horses even when others do. I wouldn't take it personally. You sound more then capable just maybe you and her didn't bounce off each other in the right way, it happens. It does however sound like your new one gave you an instant connection which is a good start.
Your knowledge and choice to keep him barefoot will hopefully sort your front feet and the toe dragging may be something and nothing. He may well be a horse that when worked correctly will muscle and move in a more correct manner allowing him to move more optimally and therefore may get rid of the toe dragging.
The most important thing is he fits in with your family and makes you happy
I wish you all the luck with him keep us updated

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I really hope the new one works out good on you for taking a chance sometimes that's what you have to do! Some horses really don't suit certain people it's just one of things one of mine can be nervous but gets confident with certain riders others his just a nervous wreck.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Thanks for explaining everything, Catembi, even though you didn’t have to, we’re a nosey lot on here!

I totally empathise with the wanting to feel safe, that’s why I bought mine (that and his apparent indestructible cobness) after being thoroughly frightened by a TB mare I had on loan. Feeling confident is worth £millions.

ycbm

Visit site
Life's too short to keep one you don't click with Catembi. Especially if you actually hit the deck. That was the last straw with my paint horse. Summer sounds like the kind of horse who really does need a bigger, heavier and more mentally dominant rider.

I hope the new one is a lot of fun. Looking forward to seeing him.

catembi

Visit site
I will do photos...people keep telling me how to do it, then I do it once & forget again! I did take some today, & also a couple of the NF. If anyone wants to offer me £100k for her, the answer is YES...!

Summer's new owner has just plastered FB with photos of his novice friend hacking her, & she looks half asleep. FFS, what is wrong with ME that I couldn't stay on the bl**dy thing...??!!!! But then, I had a lovely hack out today on Cody, on the buckle all the way, & I arrived home totally unstressed instead of being relieved to still be alive so...

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I will do photos...people keep telling me how to do it, then I do it once & forget again! I did take some today, & also a couple of the NF. If anyone wants to offer me £100k for her, the answer is YES...!

Summer's new owner has just plastered FB with photos of his novice friend hacking her, & she looks half asleep. FFS, what is wrong with ME that I couldn't stay on the bl**dy thing...??!!!! But then, I had a lovely hack out today on Cody, on the buckle all the way, & I arrived home totally unstressed instead of being relieved to still be alive so...

You are probably just too small for her to take any notice of you. IME horses choose their owners as much as we choose them. But it really doesn't matter, you now have two equines that you enjoy riding and feel comfortable on - that's all that matters, really.

ycbm

Visit site

Does the novice friend look like she weighs 49 kilos?

Really glad to hear about your fun ride. I hope you have many more.

ycbm

Visit site
I seem to have missed the post where you say that your vet has now cleared this horse fit to be ridden again?

You've missed the bit where nobody said it wasn't fit to ride.

None of the things which meant the vet advised there was risk in buying also meant that he advised against riding.

Can't we just be pleased for Catembi for a few moments, that she had a nice hack, her first in a long time, on a horse that she judged fit to ride?

catembi

Visit site
The owner’s friend riding Summer was another man. What I don’t get (and I was watching carefully) is that the fencer was not doing anything special with her...she just behaved!

I will post photos this evening.

Horse was lame lungeing on a circle on concrete. Sound but toe dragging in a straight line, 1/10 on hock flexion on concrete.

I have now examined his feet very closely. Not thrushy, so feet must just have been standing in poo when I saw him! Has flare in front. White line could be tighter. He was in a huge field of grass. I have already discussed an early visit with the farrier to trim. Since home, I have been hacking in walk and he has been sound. He needs steady roadwork to help his feet. He also needs a lower sugar diet...currently out but we have little grass as the clay has wintered badly so hay plus thunderbrooks plus linseed. He has not toe dragged hacking and has not squared his toes behind from dragging. I am not able to explain this. Slightly footsore on gravel drive and on hardcore which is waiting to be concreted, which Summer and NF were fine on. So the plan is good trimming strategy, good diet, walking on the road and see what happens.

I don’t really mind people snipping at me. If they are trying to be helpful then that’s fine, and if they’re not but they’ve enjoyed it, then that’s fine too. I do read and consider all comments, and as I have said before, I have no horsey circle or support, so it is literally me by myself trying to work out what to do for the best. Sometimes I get it right and sometimes I don’t! 😄

EventingMum

Visit site
I would just move on from Summer, what she did or didn't do for you is irrelevant now, perhaps she just prefers men, who knows? She wasn't the horse for you and that's it. You've bought the new one, some others wouldn't in your position, some would - it's your money and your choice. You seem to have a good knowledge of foot care and will seek professional advice so I truly hope it works out for you and you enjoy him, whatever you do with him, after all, enjoyment is why we have horses!