Favourite old pony stories, finding a story & nostalgia :)

TakeNoRoses

New User
Visit site
I've been feeling nostalgic recently, thinking about my favourite old pony stories so what are yours? I loved Pony Club Camp, Silver Eagle Riding School and Silver Eagle Carries on, and A Pony for Jean (always wanted to read the others).

Also looking for the name of this one: Some kids/teenagers have one or two ponies, they get people to pay to ride them out, they buy more over the course of the book. There was a grumpy man who says 'this is a lady's ride' or something similar and they rescue (buy) a scraggy cart pony that is very dirty. I've had it stuck in my head and would like to read it again.

(I'm also on the lookout for pony books so please let me know if you have any for sale!)

katherinef

Visit site
I've been feeling nostalgic recently, thinking about my favourite old pony stories so what are yours? I loved Pony Club Camp, Silver Eagle Riding School and Silver Eagle Carries on, and A Pony for Jean (always wanted to read the others).

Also looking for the name of this one: Some kids/teenagers have one or two ponies, they get people to pay to ride them out, they buy more over the course of the book. There was a grumpy man who says 'this is a lady's ride' or something similar and they rescue (buy) a scraggy cart pony that is very dirty. I've had it stuck in my head and would like to read it again.

(I'm also on the lookout for pony books so please let me know if you have any for sale!)

I loved Jinny & Shantih books also anything else by Patricia Leitch - Dream of Fair Horses/ Horse for the Holidays/ etc

Mary Gervaise Ponies in Clover Ponies and Holidays Ponies and Mysteries etc...very old fashioned now but I loved them.

Pullein Thompson sisters esp fear treks the moor/ star riders of the moor etc...Also Stolen Ponies another favourite.

K M Peyton - Fly By Night and The Team

The books about Bobby and Shelta. (Gillian Baxter)

Jackie and Misty books (Judith M Beresford) actually liked anything she had written including her dog stories

Eeek edited - I forgot the Jill books! Loved them!

TakeNoRoses

New User
Visit site
Thank you guys! WOOO. Now I know what I'm looking for! :D The Jill books are on my list to find as I know I used to have a few of them and I definitely enjoyed them. I'm wishing I hadn't given most of my pony books away 6/7 years ago now, I've regretted it ever since. :(

I like the Jinny books too but I've never read them all. I love all the Pony Trek type ones... there's one where buy their ponies and trek home which is really fun. I have that one somewhere... it might actually be called Pony Trek, haha.

9tails

Visit site
Have a look for Jane Badger books. I bet she can help you find what you're looking for. I got the world's end series from her.

ManBearPig

Visit site
I read a few of the "Heartland" books which I liked but never got through the whole series (just seen there is a TV series so may give that a watch at some point).
I used to have a book that I absolutely loved called "Annie owns a Pony". It's a comic-strip style book about a girl searching for, buying and looking after her first pony (I think the pony was called Daisy?) It was funny but also quite educational and I remember reading it over and over again when I was little. Might ask my parents if it's still at their house so I can read it again. :D

Mariposa

Visit site
My favourite horsey book were my mum's old copies of Moorland Mousie, The Maltese Cat and Four White Stockings - but a book I recently rediscovered from my childhood is the wonderful "Riding High - Scenes from a Lakeland Childhood" - the illustrated diary of Barbara Sneyd 1896-1903, lots of hunting, galloping, horses going lame, escaping and all sorts, it's absolutely lovely and I'm just re-reading it now :)

Reactions: J&S

SecretAgentBilly

Visit site
I absolutely love 'Wish for a pony' not sure who it's by, my copy is over 40 years old though! It follows a girl named Tamzin and her friend Rissa, I've read it so many times though I pretty much know the plot off by heart!

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
Secretagentbily your book is by Monica Edwards and is part of the Romney Marsh series. I love Monica Edwards Punchbowl books, also Plenty of Ponies and Pny Club Camp, Lucy Rees book Wild Pony, oh so many more!

Monica Dickens Worlds End series is wonderful, and today I've discovered that all of the Follyfoot TV series is on You Tube.

Reactions: DD

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I loved a load of these books, but hated the name of Jill's second horse Rapide, it just sounded so harsh....

Until a few years later I realised that she probably did not did not intend for the horse to be called Rapide as in Rap-Hide at all.

Doh!

Deltaflyer

Visit site
Well you lot talking about these books sent me straight to Amazon to order some :)

I still have three of my Silver Brumby books (one vanished and I never did find it again) which I've had since I was about 10 which means they're over 40 years old now :)

Deltaflyer

Visit site
What was the one about a stables where the horses were stabled above what used to be the old carriage bays. I think it was set in London.

silv

Visit site
Loved all the books by the Pullein Thompson sisters and learnt so much from them. My favourite would be Six Ponies which was about pony club members being given ponies to break in and school, it was the first in the series with Henry and Noel.

Also enjoyed the Jill books.

I had a massive collection of pony books and was very upset when I left home that my mother gave them all away, she had absolutely no idea she was doing anything wrong.

Often they can be found in second hand bookshops so have replaced quite a few and also on auction sites.

Gift Horse

Visit site
I loved the Ginny books. I painted a horse on my bedroom wall like the one in the book.
As a smaller child I had 2 storyteller tapes with horse stories; these were called "Drummerboy and the Gypsy" and "Drummerboy races for his Life".
I also had a sort of horse care instruction tape called (I think) "Come for a Ride" the narrator went through grooming, tacking up and hacking out, I loved it and played it until the tape stretched - I would love to know who narrated it but nobody else seems to remember it. Can anyone on here? My sister passed it on to me in about '83 but she is older so it's probably from the'70s

Orca

Visit site
The Flicka Trilogy.

The Jinny books (all!).

The Jill books (all!).

There were so many more but I just can't remember them.

WelshD

Visit site
Thats a jill book definitely. ..

My favourite pony book is pony club camp.

Fiona

I loved the Pony Club series of books, I learned an awful lot from the first one, even replicated a few of the XC jumps as a kid for my pony

For fans of old pony books there is a Facebook group where they are bought and sold

QueenDee_

Visit site
Sheltie!

Blind Beauty by (i think) K M Peyton

And another series with a dun eventer called Barney in but can't remember what the series was called!