Feeling anxious and uneasy......is it me or is this all a bit odd?

Perfect_Pirouette

Visit site
Op, I agree with the next post you posted, you have had a gut full today and the potential buyers have treated you and your horse really badly IMO. This is obviously heightening your feelings especially tonight. Sadly, what you did say is:

You are considering PTS
You will not send your loan horse home
Your horse has been in six different homes recently... Surely that is down to you, ultimately his security is your responsibility.

Bottom line in my opinion is that if you put down a horse you could have sold on as rideable and keep your loan horse (no matter how super loan horse is) you are choosing a loan horse over your horse and pretty much disposing your of your horse because its an inconvenience to keep, a difficulty to rehome and doesn't do what you want... Not because its knackered.

As I said before I really hope you do not go down this road.

But WHO has said that is what I am going to do??? I honestly do not get the sheer pandamoneum that seems to have broken out on this thread.

Bottom line is-

This horse was bought by me, IF I hadn't have bought him, old owner was going to have him PTS as she was in a personal mess, had tried to sell him and wasn't successful, then sent him to an equestrian college to be used as a college horse but he does not cope well in that kind of environment and with no turn out so 6 months later was expelled. He was going to be PTS and then I came along. He was not at all what I was looking for or wanted but he was kind, sweet and genuine and at the time I had a stable and land and no horse. I bought him but it was NEVER on the pretence that he would be with me for life or even a long time. I made it clear he would be sold on after I had had him for a year or so, got him out and about and 'brought him on' a bit. I saved him from being PTS, do you honestly think after all that I would PTS lightly, on a whim because 'I don't want him'??! Do you know what I have been through with this horse in the past 6 months?! Do you not think that if it was a case of just 'discarding him' for a better model that I would have done it by now?

The 6 different homes were not all down to me no.

I don't need to send my loan horse back, I can have the two if need be but I am sorry, for me, that would not be an indefinite arrangement. I would want to find a home for my boy, be it sold or permanant loan as quickly as possible. He wouldn't go without, he would still get lots of attention but at the end of the day it's not a situation I would want. Yes, I could send my loan horse back but I have been waiting for 3 months to get him because I was waiting until my boy went to a new home, I genuinely after nothing but praise for the first week and asking when his jabs weere due etc thought that he had found it and so yes, did go and pick up new horse. But there you go.

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
So sorry to read this thread. Selling a horse is so hard, even without all this messing around. Glad you have got things sorted short term, and it will all seem better in the morning. I am a Norfolk person so will keep my ears open. Have you tried looking or posting on All things Horsey Norfolk on FB - its a popular site.

Re the arthritis. I bought our mare at 13 with arthritis and she continued a useful, healthy horse competing in PC and RC until she retired at 23 so I am sure someone will be interested.

Queenbee

Visit site
But WHO has said that is what I am going to do??? I honestly do not get the sheer pandamoneum that seems to have broken out on this thread.

Bottom line is-

This horse was bought by me, IF I hadn't have bought him, old owner was going to have him PTS as she was in a personal mess, had tried to sell him and wasn't successful, then sent him to an equestrian college to be used as a college horse but he does not cope well in that kind of environment and with no turn out so 6 months later was expelled. He was going to be PTS and then I came along. He was not at all what I was looking for or wanted but he was kind, sweet and genuine and at the time I had a stable and land and no horse. I bought him but it was NEVER on the pretence that he would be with me for life or even a long time. I made it clear he would be sold on after I had had him for a year or so, got him out and about and 'brought him on' a bit. I saved him from being PTS, do you honestly think after all that I would PTS lightly, on a whim because 'I don't want him'??! Do you know what I have been through with this horse in the past 6 months?! Do you not think that if it was a case of just 'discarding him' for a better model that I would have done it by now?

The 6 different homes were not all down to me no.

I don't need to send my loan horse back, I can have the two if need be but I am sorry, for me, that would not be an indefinite arrangement. I would want to find a home for my boy, be it sold or permanant loan as quickly as possible. He wouldn't go without, he would still get lots of attention but at the end of the day it's not a situation I would want. Yes, I could send my loan horse back but I have been waiting for 3 months to get him because I was waiting until my boy went to a new home, I genuinely after nothing but praise for the first week and asking when his jabs weere due etc thought that he had found it and so yes, did go and pick up new horse. But there you go.

Pp, bottom line, what you do with your horse is ultimately your decision, I do stand by my posts but I also recognise that fact. However I doubt you took on ownership of a horse to save it from being PTS just to PTS yourself. If you can keep two fine, but if you can't keep two indefinitely, when push comes to shove your obligation should always be to the horse you own.

As I keep saying I truly hope for a good outcome on this, but sadly it seems that if you can't find a new home since you can't keep two on indefinitely you have already decided the one to keep is your 'loan' horse, not your 'own' horse

ridefast

Visit site
Hem hem... Seriously why does this matter so much to everyone? Even if the OP did decide to put down a healthy horse, you know what people, there's LOADS of unwanted horses dying slow deaths or filling up rescues, just go there and "rescue" one of them from slaughter. There are FAR WORSE fates for a horse than being PTS a few years too early, and let's face it, when the time comes that any horse is deemed to be "ready" to put to sleep, that it would be "cruel" to keep the horse alive any longer, that decision has normally been made because a horse has already been suffering for quite a while. Considering people are dying every day, WHY DOES IT MATTER WHAT A STRANGER DOES WITH HER HORSE! Go and appreciate your own horses and let PP do whatever she chooses with her horse. Who are you to judge her on which horse she does or doesn't keep? It's her life, her money, her horses, her decision. Frankly OP, why on earth did you ask for advice on here?

Queenbee

Visit site
Hem hem... Seriously why does this matter so much to everyone? Even if the OP did decide to put down a healthy horse, you know what people, there's LOADS of unwanted horses dying slow deaths or filling up rescues, just go there and "rescue" one of them from slaughter. There are FAR WORSE fates for a horse than being PTS a few years too early, and let's face it, when the time comes that any horse is deemed to be "ready" to put to sleep, that it would be "cruel" to keep the horse alive any longer, that decision has normally been made because a horse has already been suffering for quite a while. Considering people are dying every day, WHY DOES IT MATTER WHAT A STRANGER DOES WITH HER HORSE! Go and appreciate your own horses and let PP do whatever she chooses with her horse. Who are you to judge her on which horse she does or doesn't keep? It's her life, her money, her horses, her decision. Frankly OP, why on earth did you ask for advice on here?

I don't disagree, there are far worse fates, but I do think our obligations lie with the horses we own, not loan. Having said that op, in the interim whilst you are trying to find somewhere for your horse would your loan horses owners be approachable, could you explain the situation, that you may find yourself in a situation where you can only keep one etc, would they be able to help out with a portion of your loan horses cost in any way for a short agreed period? Cheeky yes but they may well rather this than having him back (which I know you won't do but they don't know that). Also do you have a local RDA and would your own horse be a potential candidate for that?

Switcheroo

Visit site
That seems really strange. Texting is rubbish, perhaps you could ring or rearrange to pop down and discuss it in person. I've had a really bad experience with a trial too (only that I was the one trialling.)

Basically the horse was not as described. The owner would not take him back and he stayed with us for a month, with us paying for his keep past the agreed contracted trial period. The owner then wanted to keep the 100 'safety' desposit we placed on him despite the money we spent bedding/feeding him well past the trial period.

Using a trial might work for some people, but I've only heard bad things... I hope you get sorted soon. It would be a shame for the horse to be put down.

gingerlegs

Visit site
OP I have followed this thread all the way through, I hope you can find the right home for him for life in the short time you've got. It sounds like you have had a horrendous time and only came on here for some support.

As far as the PTS thing is concerned, ignore this lot!! I don't doubt for a moment that if you had advertised your horse for a very nominal sum/permanent loan/free and it had been picked up by someone on here you would be getting a grilling for not doing the right thing and having him PTS instead of sending him to an inevitable terrible fate .... can't do right for doing wrong :rolleyes:

Good Luck and please keep us updated if you find him a home :)

lula

Visit site

agree with you

people love a drama.

never have i seen such an outraged fuss made about a person wanting to sell a horse she doesnt want.

what does everyone else do with horses they grow out of, put them on the mantle piece? if you're so morally obliged to do right by every horse that comes across our path in ife you wouldnt risk selling them as you cant possibly know where they'd end up. Some fates ARE worse than pts, trust me.

Goldenstar

Visit site

I do agree Op thought she had found the perfect home for her horse then the penny dropped perhaps it was all going to fall through she was at work worrying "thinking " it though on HHO.
There are far worse fates for any horse than being PTS .
However I dont think that where this horse is going this time he's will find a home as a hack .
OP was just thrown yesterday by something that seemed perfect going wrong.

X

xspiralx

PP -

I hope you're feeling better about things this morning.

Whilst I don't think it is the worst thing in the world to PTS a healthy horse, I do think you're getting unnecessarily hung up on the 6 yards in a year situation.

He's a 13 year old horse, with a mild health problem that can be easily managed.

6 yards in a year is not ideal but it's far from a disaster situation either - if he is a fairly chilled out horse, then as long as his basic needs are being met (food, company, shelter, warmth etc) then a change in home won't deeply traumatize him.

13 is far from old - he's practically in his prime - so stop panicking!

wildwest

Visit site
well i cant believe your turning down as you quote GOOD HOMES just because its a quick sale ? when you need a quick sale.... poor horse

Dusty85

Visit site
Hem hem... Seriously why does this matter so much to everyone?

Go and appreciate your own horses and let PP do whatever she chooses with her horse. Who are you to judge her on which horse she does or doesn't keep? It's her life, her money, her horses, her decision. Frankly OP, why on earth did you ask for advice on here?

Agree with this.

It's none of our business which horse OP decides to keep or PTS, and its not our right to judge her for it. I don't think there is an 'obligation' to either horse.

Sometimes i wonder why anyone asks for advice on here :(

nix123

Visit site
Morning Pp. Hope you slept last night. Have you had anyone contact you through any adverts you've done yet? Did you manage to see your horse last night? (Not sure if you said you were going to see him). Hopefully you'll have some interest this weekend. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

diamonddogs

Visit site
Blimey OP, you're damned if you do, damned if you don't!

Regarding PTS, I intend, when I get around to it, to have it put in my will that my mare would be PTS if a suitable home could not be found if I was no longer around to care for her, and loads of my friends would do the same. I have read hundreds of posts on HHO advising owners to PTS a healthy horse so save it from an uncertain future! :confused:

I'm always wary about posting "stream of consciousness" threads on here as people will always jump on things and call you out on them if you accidentally contradict yourself later on. Lesson learned!

I have to admit you have come across on occasion as putting your loan horse above this boy, but I just read it as the musings of a stressed-out person thinking aloud, not as an uncaring owner wanting an easy life.

I've been in the opposite situation to this, with a LWVTB horse. I needed a new horse after my lovely mare died, and this horse seemed perfect. A teenaged owner with a lovely mum, thought I'd be a perfect owner, kept in touch while a sorted stuff out at my end, offered free transport to my yard etc etc. I visited the horse three times during the two weeks before she was to be delivered. I went on the Saturday, saw mum and daughter, arranged a time for delivery the following week, then everything went quiet. I phoned the mum on the Thursday, had to leave a message, and got a text on Friday lunchtime to say the daughter had decided to loan the horse to her friend!!! As if that wasn't bad enough, it obviously didn't work out cos the horse was being advertised again within the month!

Anyway, I digress...

Your boy sounds just the sort of horse I would want if I was looking for an addition to my herd, and I'm sure there's loads of people out there that would think him ideal, so I wish you all the luck in the world in finding him a fabulous home.

noodle_

Visit site
I don't disagree, there are far worse fates, but I do think our obligations lie with the horses we own, not loan. Having said that op, in the interim whilst you are trying to find somewhere for your horse would your loan horses owners be approachable, could you explain the situation, that you may find yourself in a situation where you can only keep one etc, would they be able to help out with a portion of your loan horses cost in any way for a short agreed period? Cheeky yes but they may well rather this than having him back (which I know you won't do but they don't know that). Also do you have a local RDA and would your own horse be a potential candidate for that?

this is what im getting at too! ^^

like i said there ARE fates worse than death and if OP had said everything MINUS loan horse i would personally be one who said "mabey pts is a option if you cannot afford"....because the bought horse is the priority imo...

Juni141

Visit site
PP you poor thing!! I have just read through the posts loaded since I left work yesterday and I find some of the responses quite incredible!!

What a bunch of rude, nosy and over-opinionated people you lot can be!!!

What PP does with her horse is HER business and HER business alone. She very obviously came on here to air her frustrations, bat some ideas and thoughts around as the situation developed and probably get a little bit of sympathy for a cr*ppy situation.

I really hope you can find him the right home, well done on you for not going for a good home but waiting out for the right one. I think it is by far the easiest and most sensible thing to leave him where he is and if luck goes your way find him a new home from there. After all, he can't read all the cr*p that has been written on here, he has food, water, shelter and company so he will be happy as larry! And if he isn't I have no doubt you will move him straight away.

If you find that you cannot find him a home where you are comfortable he will have the quality of life he deserves and be cared for properly you are perfectly within your rights and IMO acting responsibly if you decide to have him PTS.

I am sure you will find him a great home with lovely people... And to the rest of you (as my mother would say) "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"...

fizzer

Visit site
PP you poor thing!! I have just read through the posts loaded since I left work yesterday and I find some of the responses quite incredible!!

What a bunch of rude, nosy and over-opinionated people you lot can be!!!

What PP does with her horse is HER business and HER business alone. She very obviously came on here to air her frustrations, bat some ideas and thoughts around as the situation developed and probably get a little bit of sympathy for a cr*ppy situation.

I really hope you can find him the right home, well done on you for not going for a good home but waiting out for the right one. I think it is by far the easiest and most sensible thing to leave him where he is and if luck goes your way find him a new home from there. After all, he can't read all the cr*p that has been written on here, he has food, water, shelter and company so he will be happy as larry! And if he isn't I have no doubt you will move him straight away.

If you find that you cannot find him a home where you are comfortable he will have the quality of life he deserves and be cared for properly you are perfectly within your rights and IMO acting responsibly if you decide to have him PTS.

I am sure you will find him a great home with lovely people... And to the rest of you (as my mother would say) "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"...

Totally agree