Firework display right next door and no contact. WWYD

scruffyponies

Visit site
Err, you may well be right but you must see it is too late to move a large public display so close to bonfire night when it is all organised and paid for?? Perhaps you should engage with the organisers at a much earlier date (ie before they have organised it....) as it is an annual event, or make your own contingency plans well in advance?

Too late for this year, but not too late for next.
We are now in contact - if we have a downpour in the next couple of days, and ground conditions become unsafe I will have someone to speak to, which is all I wanted.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Too late for this year, but not too late for next.
We are now in contact - if we have a downpour in the next couple of days, and ground conditions become unsafe I will have someone to speak to, which is all I wanted.

The forecast for the weekend is hideous 😉

scruffyponies

Visit site
Sorry I thought it was postponed because of the rain and postponement would please you.
Although cancellation would perhaps be better.

If it hadn't rained so much, I would have let the ponies watch the fireworks and run about as they do every year. They're fairly sensible, and don't freak out half so much as most would ... problem is the month and a half of rain we've had already, which makes their field so slippy that it'd be deadly for late-night gallops.

scruffyponies

Visit site
I thought you didn’t want the display at all due to the horses running about and being scared.

I'd rather not, obviously, but we've managed for a number of years, and I don't mind going down and keeping an eye on them. Considering the size of the bangs, they're fantastic about it. Two of them came over to me mid-display last year to check my pockets!

Dry Rot

Visit site
The Senior Officer,
xxxxx Police Station,
xxxxxx,
xxxxxxx-shire

Dear Sir,

Fireworks

This evening, at approximately 7pm, I was alarmed by a series of very loud bangs, in quick succession, like to a machine gun, which continued for about 30 seconds. When I went to the back door, I could see that my neighbour was having a bonfire fireworks party in his field about 300m from my door and just over the hedge from where I keep horses. I should point out that I was in my sitting room watching TV with windows and doors closed and I am seriously deaf in both ears.

I do not wish to be a kill joy but the xxxxx household received a letter from me, via my solicitor, some time ago about impromptu clay pigeon shoots. Your officers attended on a couple of such occasions when they informed me this was a civil matter. xxxxx was informed via my solicitor that one of my horses can gone through a fence and another had demolished a gate as a result of this unscheduled disturbance. This shows that xxxxx was aware that such loud noises can cause suffering and damage to my livestock and property. As a matter of good manners, it would have been polite and neighbourly for him to inform me of the firework display when I could have moved the horses.

Below you will find a summary of the law and as xxxxx had prior knowledge of what harm loud noises can do I would respectfully submit that an offence has been committed and I believe it is your duty to act.

Animal Health and Welfare (Scotland) Act 2006
Section 19 of the Animal Health and Welfare (Scotland) Act 2006 sets out the circumstances in which a person who causes a protected animal to suffer commits an offence. (An animal is deemed to be “protected” if it is of a kind which is commonly domesticated in the British Islands; under the control of a man on a permanent or temporary basis; or is not living in a wild state).
Unnecessary suffering includes mental and/or physical suffering and can be caused in two ways; either by taking action which causes unnecessary suffering or by failing to take steps to prevent unnecessary suffering. Section 19(4) sets out a non-exhaustive list of considerations to which the courts are to have regard in determining whether suffering is unnecessary. These considerations include whether the suffering could reasonably have been avoided or reduced; compliance with any relevant enactment or licence or code of practice issued on a statutory basis; the purpose of the conduct; the proportionality of the suffering to the purpose; and whether the conduct was that of a reasonably competent and humane person.
A person who commits an offence under section 19 is liable on summary conviction to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 12 months or to a fine not exceeding £20,000 or to both. Again, it would be a matter for the relevant authorities to decide whether the use of fireworks and any subsequent suffering caused to animals constituted an offence under section 19 of the Act.

I submit that Smith was well aware of the harm that loud noises, such as gunshots or fireworks, could cause as he had had prior notice but did not forewarn me as any reasonably competent and humane person would have done and is therefore guilty of an offence under Section 19 of the above Act.
Your faithfully,

(Dry Rot)